Would you hit a woman who was unarmed?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm asking if you would use a certain level of force, against and attack from an unarmed female. I am certainly not asking if you would take general action to protect yourself. I'm asking if you would take your fist and break her nose. Or drive your knee into her chest, or kick her knee cap, smash her jaw with your elbow or whatever.
Remembering that in most places the force used to defend yourself must be reasonable or at least proportional to be legal.
Your response must always be enough for you to escape/prevent injury but not turn into a major assault regardless of the gender of the attacker. Gender has nothing to do with the situation.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Remembering that in most places the force used to defend yourself must be reasonable or at least proportional to be legal.
Your response must always be enough for you to escape/prevent injury but not turn into a major assault regardless of the gender of the attacker. Gender has nothing to do with the situation.
Actually gender is a factor to be considered in appropriate use of force. Also factors such as age, size weight, level of fitness, fatigue and so on. At least these are factors the supreme court in the US uses to consider appreciate use of force. And factors law enforcement are taught to consider.

Last edited:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where I live we need a 4x4, we have a fair amount of vampire sheep so need something sturdy.
My husband, ex RAF, used to drive an armoured long wheel base Landrover on a certain deployment in the UK and really wants his own to drive around😂
In the early 90's I worked on(Wrote and designed / tested Software) :
and

The Tank has three significant newer packages.
The NBCR updates We worked on were shelved for costs and budget.

Yet, sitting in one while they move was cool.
Riding in the commanders front seat on the NBCR while driving down a major road to another facility was very interesting.

Your Husband ( if it can be afforded - sword aside ) could definitely use a civilian Land Rover. :D

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually gender is a factor to be considered in appropriate use of force. Also factors such as age, size weight, level of fitness, fatigue and so on. At least these are factors the supreme court in the US uses to consider appreciate use of force. And factors law enforcement are taught to consider.
I could add specialized skills, number of good guys verses bad guys, and prior knowledge about your attacker to this list also. But certainly gender is a factor.

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm asking if you would use a certain level of force, against and attack from an unarmed female. I am certainly not asking if you would take general action to protect yourself. I'm asking if you would take your fist and break her nose. Or drive your knee into her chest, or kick her knee cap, smash her jaw with your elbow or whatever.
So you’re asking if I am sexist?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the early 90's I worked on(Wrote and designed / tested Software) :
and

The Tank has three significant newer packages.
The NBCR updates We worked on were shelved for costs and budget.

Yet, sitting in one while they move was cool.
Riding in the commanders front seat on the NBCR while driving down a major road to another facility was very interesting.

Your Husband ( if it can be afforded - sword aside ) could definitely use a civilian Land Rover. :D
We do have an old Defender but he wants the new shiny one that's not long out lol. He didn't drive tanks but Scorpions, mini tanks.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could add specialized skills, number of good guys verses bad guys, and prior knowledge about your attacker to this list also. But certainly gender is a factor.

I did say your response should be proportionate to the attack, I think everyone understands what that means.
I don't understand why you asked a poster if he's willing to do that to a woman. It's an odd and slightly disturbing question.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh not much. I was just saying that you are the arbiter of funny here. Invoking you to show up and give some parameters for comedy here. I’ve learned a little from your posts so I thought maybe you could help out other needy children like me. I’m glad you responded, thank you.
If you say ‘PhotonGuy’, three times while staring into a mirror at 3am….😳

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I did say your response should be proportionate to the attack, I think everyone understands what that means.
I don't understand why you asked a poster if he's willing to do that to a woman. It's an odd and slightly disturbing question.
Martial arts is reverse first aid. You are restricting the airway, causing fractures, puncture wounds, bruising, dislocations, bleeding, sometimes sending people into shock and even death.

This is why using martial arts appropriately is such a mammoth responsibility. Violence and even the appropriate use of counter violence can be very disturbing. That is the reality of landing an elbow, knee, or punch.

The question I asked is the exact same question I asked in the very original post of this thread. Just asked in a way that provides more realistic details, to make the point that striking someone (especially someone you are likely bigger and stronger than) is likely going to cause real injuries.

My question was in response to someone who was(for his own legitimate reasons) asking me to reframe my original question. Instead I restated the original question, the same question asked in the first post of this thread, but with more details of what the consequences of hitting some is really like.

I agree that hitting someone is slightly disturbing, that's the reality of applying reverse first aid. Even watching someone go unconscious (but unharmed) by a choke is disturbing in reality.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Martial arts is reverse first aid. You are restricting the airway, causing fractures, puncture wounds, bruising, dislocations, bleeding, sometimes sending people into shock and even death.

This is why using martial arts appropriately is such a mammoth responsibility. Violence and even the appropriate use of counter violence can be very disturbing. That is the reality of landing an elbow, knee, or punch.

The question I asked is the exact same question I asked in the very original post of this thread. Just asked in a way that provides more realistic details, to make the point that striking someone (especially someone you are likely bigger and stronger than) is likely going to cause real injuries.

My question was in response to someone who was(for his own legitimate reasons) asking me to reframe my original question. Instead I stayed the original question, the same question asked in the first post of this thread, but with more details of what the consequences of hitting some is really like.

I agree that hitting someone is slightly disturbing, that's the reality of applying reverse first aid. Even watching someone go unconscious (but unharmed) by a choke is disturbing in reality.
I can't say I'd thought of martial arts that way lol and I'll point out too I'm only 68 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I can't give a full response at the moment, it'll give me a little time to have a think. 🙂

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't say I'd thought of martial arts that way lol and I'll point out too I'm only 68 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I can't give a full response at the moment, it'll give me a little time to have a think. 🙂
I'm a 20+ year former street/SWAT/undercover cop. Almost every story I have is disturbing. Almost every night I was eye witness to disturbing. My wife forbids me from talking about such things at social gatherings, because the reality of it is often disturbing.

So genuinely I'm not trying to be disturbing, I am just trying to shed light on the reality of how serious it is to actually hit somebody for real.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score

My question was in response to someone who was(for his own legitimate reasons) asking me to reframe my original question. Instead I restated the original question, the same question asked in the first post of this thread, but with more details of what the consequences of hitting some is really like.

Former LEO here. I 100% concur. When it got physical, it was disturbing at times. To the OP, even weirder when an angry woman was involved, but you learned to not see sex but instead see the danger in front of you.
I would also add how much my martial arts training helped me Not have to escalate to a hard physical altercation. There is so much to be said for having the right countenance and demeanor to deescalate a situation. Being able to process someone before they really have a chance to figure out what is going on was invaluable.
There is a huge difference between being loud and brash vs. stern and confident.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm a 20+ year former street/SWAT/undercover cop. Almost every story I have is disturbing. Almost every night I was eye witness to disturbing. My wife forbids me from talking about such things at social gatherings, because the reality of it is often disturbing.

So genuinely I'm not trying to be disturbing, I am just trying to shed light on the reality of how serious it is to actually hit somebody for real.
Your experiences will tend to color your perspective, that's for sure. We had at one time a lot of discussion around legalization of various drugs, and it was hard for the cops (in particular the street level narcotics officers), because they had seen a concentration of the least likely, but most horrific things that may occur. They certainly knew firsthand the challenges of being addicted to heroin, but that experience made it difficult for them to understand or consider reasonable perspectives that weren't their own.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score

Of all the sparring partners I've ever had, there was one (tall, and beefy) cop who I put into almost perfect side control in the ground, and he wasn't going anywhere until I let go.

He was very disturbed by this power play swap, and I kind of figured why. If we had been in the street, he might get 187'd. Something as simple as losing control and then you're getting gun salute and a highway named after you.

That was my best martial arts lesson ever.

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sexiest in my book? Your book? Or someone else's definition? No, I'm not asking that, but some people might interpret it that way.
I don’t really understand the point of this question or topic.

If someone attacks another person, that person is going to defend themselves.

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That guy is definitely not my role model. 😊 In all seriousness, I don't understand how people let movies, pop culture and current society set their values.

I understand you are just sharing a meme, but I do think people to readily modify their morals based on what society at large says.

Actually, you'd be surprised how much pop culture has affected and changed/influenced modern day culture...

Superman dealt with racism and xenophobia.
Batman & Commissioner Gordon dealt with wide spread corruption within the police, judges and politicians sector.
The world of Star Trek dealt with equality, racism, xenophobia, and spawned/sparked a wide range of technological devices that we take for granted today.

Values, morals, laws, they all change/evolve over time - and yes pop culture has a hand in all of that.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, you'd be surprised how much pop culture has affected and changed/influenced modern day culture...

Superman dealt with racism and xenophobia.
Batman & Commissioner Gordon dealt with wide spread corruption within the police, judges and politicians sector.
The world of Star Trek dealt with equality, racism, xenophobia, and spawned/sparked a wide range of technological devices that we take for granted today.

Values, morals, laws, they all change/evolve over time - and yes pop culture has a hand in all of that.
Without question pop culture influences a lot for many people.

Latest Discussions