Would you consider animal handling skills to be a martial art?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know Steve Irwin was reported to have done MMA. Lots of biologists or specialized animal services jobs require handling dangerous animals, either in captivity or in the wild. It takes a large degree of skill to handle a venomous snake or a large crocodilian without getting seriously injured. Would you consider these to be martial arts?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know Steve Irwin was reported to have done MMA. Lots of biologists or specialized animal services jobs require handling dangerous animals, either in captivity or in the wild. It takes a large degree of skill to handle a venomous snake or a large crocodilian without getting seriously injured. Would you consider these to be martial arts?
No.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Certain equestrian skills either form part of or are rooted in martial disciplines, for example mounted archery, jousting, and tent pegging. In D&D terms, those might involve "animal handling" checks on your skill sheet.

Other than that, probably not.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Certain equestrian skills either form part of or are rooted in martial disciplines, for example mounted archery, jousting, and tent pegging. In D&D terms, those might involve "animal handling" checks on your skill sheet.

Tent pegging is an equestrian skill? I think you might be doing it wrong, Tony...

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you handling the animal, or actively fighting it? If I'm training to square off against a bear then yeah I'm probably training martial arts (the martial art probably wouldn't be "Bear-fighting", it'd be wrestling I'm using in that context). If I'm keeping a snake from biting me, not necessarily.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is animal handling a martial art? Dunno. I saw a movie once where somebody threw a cat at another person. Claws first. I guess that would count. Kinda mean to the cat though.

Here's another question. Is cat throwing science?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm going to say no this. These skills are more like hunting skills and literally Animal Handling skills.

Martial arts skills would require that the person is doing some kind of Martial art while utilizing the animal.

riding skills + weapon skills. = Martial Arts skills

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

bicycle.jpg

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting, Tony. Never heard of that. In my mind, tent pegging is a step in setting up your tent.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you handling the animal, or actively fighting it? If I'm training to square off against a bear then yeah I'm probably training martial arts (the martial art probably wouldn't be "Bear-fighting", it'd be wrestling I'm using in that context). If I'm keeping a snake from biting me, not necessarily.
A lot of the videos I see (both on youtube and on Animal Planet) involve an animal actively trying to kill the person. For example, a snake trying to bite someone that is:
  • Moving it to clean the enclosure
  • Milk it for venom to make antivenom
  • Remove it from someone's house so it can be relocated away from people where both are less likely to harm each other
In this case, the human is handling the animal, but a misstep and that human is being injected with deadly venom. That animal is fighting for its life, because it thinks the human is likely trying to eat it or otherwise harm it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'll say it like this. If you think that what a cop does is martial arts, then what Steve Irwin did is probably also a a martial art. Conversely, if you're intuitively saying that what Steve Irwin did was not a martial art, then what cops do isn't, either, for the same reasons.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll say it like this. If you think that what a cop does is martial arts, then what Steve Irwin did is probably also a a martial art. Conversely, if you're intuitively saying that what Steve Irwin did was not a martial art, then what cops do isn't, either, for the same reasons.

Screenshot_20230126_120631_Google.jpg

Apparently there is a trick to it.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not sure if this counts, but I used my knife skills to subdue a juicy steak last night. I feel that I was totally justified…

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was watching some "People of Walmart" videos and saw some pretty good jiu-jitsu used to subdue deer that had accidentally gotten inside.

Latest Discussions