Would Martial Arts created by women fundamentally be better than those created by men?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think animals actually think to themselves 'oh that's a human we won't hunt him as prey'. If an animal is on the hunt and hungry they will kill and eat humans just as easily as any other animals, crocodiles for example, will take humans as will polar bears which are actually reputed to hunt humans. Animal + hunger + human = human gets eaten. :D

While great whites, bull sharks, and the like get a bad rap for shark bites, I think it's the blue sharks feasting on divers that are the worst culprits.

Animals will hunt us in a pinch, or feed on us if the opportunity presents itself, but I don't think many actively hunt us.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
While great whites, bull sharks, and the like get a bad rap for shark bites, I think it's the blue sharks feasting on divers that are the worst culprits.

Sharks, regardless of species, do not feast on divers. Sharks kill an average of 6 people a year. Mostly waders or surfers. Cows average 22. Mosquito deaths number in the hundreds of thousands. Divers are not bothered by sharks. Because we don't mimic a wounded seal.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sharks, regardless of species, do not feast on divers. Sharks kill an average of 6 people a year. Mostly waders or surfers. Cows average 22. Mosquito deaths number in the hundreds of thousands. Divers are not bothered by sharks. Because we don't mimic a wounded seal.

I meant shipwreck victims*

The Worst Shark Attack in History | History | Smithsonian Magazine

Although I guess they were oceanic white-tips. I misremembered when I was thinking of blue sharks.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I think we had about 6 bites and at least one death in our area last year.

'HORRIFIC': Whitsundays shark attack victim dies in hospital

'I'm just pissed I lost my foot': Shark attack victim cracked jokes, say nurses who saved his life

Mabye one cow attack.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is no animal on earth that considers us prey. Therefore, apex predator. Doesn't mean no animal ever kills us.
The real apex predator is the mosquito.

Crocs will eat you if they can. If you get one big enough.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crocs will eat you if they can. If you get one big enough.

That also makes the news. Because it's a rarity. Does the news report when someone is killed by a mosquito? Nope. Because it happens alllllll the freaking time.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anyway this is cool. Crocodiles attacking Japanese soldiers in ww2.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a cow attack would be pretty unusual as well.

Not as unusual as you'd think, we've had cow attacks here and people killed, usually though through humans stupidity. If there's a cow or cows in a field with young you don't go walking through them with dogs, or as if you own the field, the cows will always protect their young and they will attack.

Whether animals 'hunt' us or not I think we really ought to be more humble rather than arrogant about this 'top predator' thing. Maybe that's the difference between a martial art designed by women and one designed by men. As with the cows, women's martial arts would be for defence, men's would be for attacking...…….

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not as unusual as you'd think, we've had cow attacks here and people killed, usually though through humans stupidity. If there's a cow or cows in a field with young you don't go walking through them with dogs, or as if you own the field, the cows will always protect their young and they will attack.

Whether animals 'hunt' us or not I think we really ought to be more humble rather than arrogant about this 'top predator' thing. Maybe that's the difference between a martial art designed by women and one designed by men. As with the cows, women's martial arts would be for defence, men's would be for attacking...…….

Well knowing how dangerous they are a martial art designed by cows would be the best bet.

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I will have to disagree with you on this. It is scientifically theorised that men evolved thicker and more durable knuckles to fight amongst each other. As for hunting, we are at the top of the food chain which makes us apex predators. The fact that we use tools and walk are adaptations that have stood up well to the most ancient test - "survival of the fittest". So we are, naturally, hunters and warriors.
Use of passive voice, no citations. Thicker and more durable knuckles? Really? There are 27 bones in the human hand. If you break just one of them and you don't have access to medical care and possibly, people to help you while it heals, you are done. Making a fist and using the knuckles to punch is a learned behavior, and punching with bare knuckles is not a universal way human beings fight. If you think about it, given the importance of our hands for going all sorts of useful things other than fighting, it makes a lot more sense not to use our knuckles for striking as in primitive times, if you lose the use of your hands for an extended period of time, you could die.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use of passive voice, no citations. Thicker and more durable knuckles? Really? There are 27 bones in the human hand. If you break just one of them and you don't have access to medical care and possibly, people to help you while it heals, you are done. Making a fist and using the knuckles to punch is a learned behavior, and punching with bare knuckles is not a universal way human beings fight. If you think about it, given the importance of our hands for going all sorts of useful things other than fighting, it makes a lot more sense not to use our knuckles for striking as in primitive times, if you lose the use of your hands for an extended period of time, you could die.
I read something somewhere (is that a vague enough reference for you??) that supports this claim. Unfortunately, I didn't retain anything about it - not even whether it was a source I'd be willing to draw conclusions from.

I hope that helps. :p

PhilE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Animals will hunt us in a pinch, or feed on us if the opportunity presents itself, but I don't think many actively hunt us.

Not sure how pg 1 went from WC to sharks by pg 9, but anyway....

I've spent a lot of time free diving with sharks, IF you know how to be around them they are generally safe. Avoiding them while they are feeding or hunting, or when the visibility is bad is key. Sharks tend to attack humans when they mistakenly identify them as natural prey, eg seals.

If someone bases their assumption of sharks on a movie, I'd suggest they stay out of any natural environment for their own safety. Stupidity is the no. 1 cause of accidents in the ocean, not sharks.

PhilE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Going back to the topic, no one can really prove that WC was started by a woman. Could have been a few people working on it, could have developed over time, might be an aspect of one martial art that was taken out that particular system.

No one really knows.

What we do know is that generally speaking, 99% of the time in human history its the men doing the fighting. So its fair to conclude that most aspects of martial arts are coming from men.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not sure how pg 1 went from WC to sharks by pg 9, but anyway....

I've spent a lot of time free diving with sharks, IF you know how to be around them they are generally safe. Avoiding them while they are feeding or hunting, or when the visibility is bad is key. Sharks tend to attack humans when they mistakenly identify them as natural prey, eg seals.

If someone bases their assumption of sharks on a movie, I'd suggest they stay out of any natural environment for their own safety. Stupidity is the no. 1 cause of accidents in the ocean, not sharks.

I was basing it off of articles I've read, not off of a movie.

Latest Discussions