Worst/Weirdest Martial Arts for self defence?

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My observations of getting out over the past 28 years and doing a TKD style that is nothing like Olympic sparring tells me your observations are limited in scope..

My observations doing a TKD style that is closely related to Olympic sport sparring tells me those observations are limited in scope, too.

Taekwondo is still very much alive and well as a martial art.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There are examples of individuals touting ineffective self defence strategy and tactics in every martial art style. I am not sure I understand the point of this thread, other than to criticise and judge other individuals or to style bash....

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My observations of getting out over the past 28 years and doing a TKD style that is nothing like Olympic sparring tells me your observations are limited in scope..
Your experiences are yours. Mine are mine. Perhaps the same can be said of you.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You're biased. Can't take that statement seriously.
Not biased. *A practitioner of the art in question*.

Who is more likely to be able to comment on the true nature of that art? Someone who practices it and has used it effectively in self defence, or someone looking at it from outside?

Sapphire

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yellow Bamboo has already been said... darn.

I really am of the belief that all arts are good so long as they're taught properly. Of course, there is a series of karate schools in my city and surrounding areas with a LOT of foolishness taught. So much so, that they don't attend tournaments anymore because they're more or less a laughing stock. If I recall correctly, a friend of a classmate in my CMA school knew someone whose knees were ruined because they were taught a very improper square horse stance in this particular karate school.

Then again, it depends on what one is asking for in their martial art. I would definitely not suggest an art that only teaches you how to beat someone to a pulp. That's great for its time and place, but not every situation calls for it lol.

Latest Discussions