World Championships USA

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its not about flash its meat and potatoes. I sent a 13 year old Eskimo girl to the OTC in the 90's and she knocked any one out of the ring up to 70lbs heavier they all wanted to know who is she who trained her if we had been rich she could have been famous in TKD but no matter she and her brother are both nationally and internationally famous and world record holders in other areas I am thankful I never allowed her to train further with all the abuse issues?

What year was this, or better yet, who was the OTC Coach when you sent her?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually the guys on the horse and model T look pretty smart compared to the guy in the time traveling deloren that doesn't work. But it is not even that, it is the comparison with the guy in the 2010 model cars driving on the freeway in comparison to the guy in the time traveling deloren that doesn't work.
Most of what you said was way off the wall but at least it dealt in some sense of reality. However the above took the cake. How can you compare fiction/fantasy to reality in making a point.:shrug: sigh!!

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We lost that since the 70's The only way to save TKD Olympics is to now allow the professional fighters from MMA in just like they did in Basket Ball but make them fight in our Olympic rules. M

I don't think "professional" MMA fighters do so well in Taekwondo tournaments (WC,Olympics)
two totally different sports. It also don't make any sense to them to to attend to TKD tournaments. They will make more money with MMA..?

/Markku

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think "professional" MMA fighters do so well in Taekwondo tournaments (WC,Olympics)
two totally different sports. It also don't make any sense to them to to attend to TKD tournaments. They will make more money with MMA..?

/Markku

Some I know would do very well as they are TKD Dan grades and have gone through TKD competitions before. Most fighters get very little money if any for fighting, those fighting amateur and semi pro rules usually just get expenses. Very few are professional fighters though quite a lot fight pro rules, here you'll get more money doing TKD expecially if picked for the Olympics. The vast majoirty of people who do MMA do it as a hobby not as a career or living.

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Some I know would do very well as they are TKD Dan grades and have gone through TKD competitions before. Most fighters get very little money if any for fighting, those fighting amateur and semi pro rules usually just get expenses. Very few are professional fighters though quite a lot fight pro rules, here you'll get more money doing TKD expecially if picked for the Olympics. The vast majoirty of people who do MMA do it as a hobby not as a career or living.

Many MMA fighters are true athletes but it will take long time to adapt a style and learn your competition (other fighters ) + learning to know referees, their style of judging etc. Of course it is not impossible..

/Markku

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Reasons why USA didn't succeed is somewhere here?

1) National federation ( How they organized national team training, How much money they spend and where, selection process for national team etc. )
2) Coaching Athletes last couple of years ( fighter´s individual coaches )
3) Coaching during competition
4) How were fighters prepared ( training, how many international tournaments before WC etc.)

We can't really blame on fighters, there is so many other factors involved.

/Markku

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many MMA fighters are true athletes but it will take long time to adapt a style and learn your competition (other fighters ) + learning to know referees, their style of judging etc. Of course it is not impossible..

/Markku

Most MMA fighters are ordinary martial artists, we are happy with what we do, most of us have gone throught the TMA competitions and we've gone onto MMA as we like the mixed aspect of it. It's not that difficult for any karateka to adapt to TKD comps or vice versa. I went into it because I was getting older and that bit slower for the full contact karate comps I'd been doing even in the older age group, I like the ground work aspect, gives me more options. the full contact karate and the Olympic TKD is frankly for the younger and more supple :)

I don't know though why MMA was brought into this thread as it has nothing to do with the TKD World Championships. I believe though that there are professional TKD players in some European countries where they have leagues etc so if anyone was being brought in to 'save' TKD surely it would be them. I don't see the point though.

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I believe though that there are professional TKD players in some European countries where they have leagues etc so if anyone was being brought in to 'save' TKD surely it would be them. I don't see the point though.

I agree:) Now is time to go and teach some poomsae and sparring! ( my classes will start soon)

/Markku

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many MMA fighters are true athletes but it will take long time to adapt a style and learn your competition (other fighters ) + learning to know referees, their style of judging etc. Of course it is not impossible../Markku

The biggest issue is motivation or incentive. Why would an MMA fighter want to compete at Taekwondo events? What's in it for them?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most of what you said was way off the wall but at least it dealt in some sense of reality. However the above took the cake. How can you compare fiction/fantasy to reality in making a point.:shrug: sigh!!

Comparing lajust to a time travelling deloren is appropriate because both don't work. Again, i am not against electronic scoring, which is what you seem to think; what I am against is electronic scoring that doesn't work. But if you think what I wrote is "way off the wall" then by all means, feel free to respond to each point. But if you do so, please do so with facts.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe the Americans and the Koreans just don't kick as hard as us Europeans ;-)

You know what? I sincerely hope that Europe takes the lion's share of the medals in Taekwondo at the 2012 Olympics. Because if that happens, perhaps the European IOC members will vote to keep Taekwondo in in 2013.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Comparing lajust to a time travelling deloren is appropriate because both don't work. Again, i am not against electronic scoring, which is what you seem to think; what I am against is electronic scoring that doesn't work. But if you think what I wrote is "way off the wall" then by all means, feel free to respond to each point. But if you do so, please do so with facts.
My point was that the model T Ford was a real machine that did not work all that well and was not as good as a horse but that did not stop the progress. Now looking back who would ride a horse as their means of transportation. I can't equate a fictional thing to a real thing.

Point being, EPP is here to stay, you must change and grow with this system and others to come. LaJust is just the one system and one of the first to be used in production. Will it be around in 10 years? Who knows but something will and LaJust paved the way. 1st Gen stuff never is the best. Just look at the fist Mac's or PC's They were rediculious. The Iphone has more computing power than anything that got us to the moon.

You can't spend your time complaining once the milk is spilt, you can only clean it up. If all the energy use in simply complaining was use to help fix or even create and make a better system was use then we would be well ahead of what we have today.

Maybe we should all be sending in list of issue with the system and asking for the fixes and not just complaining that my guy thinks this sucks.

I work in High Tech. I see products developed all the time. They all suck in the beginning. But the companies take feed back and make the products better and better. But just saying it sucks won't help the company or the person using it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest issue is motivation or incentive. Why would an MMA fighter want to compete at Taekwondo events? What's in it for them?

Many, here at least, have competed in TKD comps and have moved onto MMA so it wouldn't be something new for them. I do think competitive TKD such as at Olympic level is more a younger persons sport (supple and springy lol) while MMA tends to be for the bit older types who want to go for the very full contact style. We do have a lot of MMA fighters who will fight kickboxing and/or Muay Thai as well though and Judoka who still compete in Judo comps. I know one MMA fighter ( fought in UFC) who fights in karate comps and does kata comps too. I think the lack of protective gear appeals to some as well and the freedom of using many different techniques, it's just what you like doing.

If the electonic system is a fault how does that explain Sarah Stevenson's third World title?

armortkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Actually if you are talking about Portland Nationals, hosted by GM Tae Hong CHOI, it was 1991, not 1990. I was there too. OTC did win that year at Nationals, Juan Moreno, Scott Fujii and May Pejo won gold for example. As for new yells and fancy technique, I don't know what you are talking about because they pretty much stuck to the basics (roundhouse kick to the body), but they did use a lot of steps, which was pretty new for a lot of people back then.

http://assets.usoc.org/assets/docum...e/20710/1991_Sr__Nat_l_black_belt_results.pdf
Scott Fujii was with Hyon Lee in 91.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You know what? I sincerely hope that Europe takes the lion's share of the medals in Taekwondo at the 2012 Olympics. Because if that happens, perhaps the European IOC members will vote to keep Taekwondo in in 2013.

I thought that TKD was bundled up with a bunch of other sports the last time voting took place and all the sports in that bundle were locked in to the Olympics through 2020.

Maybe I am wrong. Hey it wouldn't be the first time.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Scott Fujii was with Hyon Lee in 91.

Ok, OTC alumni then. I think Master Scott Fujii is an underrated, unappreciated gem of a coach. He has a brilliant Taekwondo mind, and would be one of my first choices if we ever started up the OTC Resident Athlete program. I don't know if he would accept or not. He is not so much a technical coach as he is strategic and psychological. And he probably has one of the best, if not the best Taekwondo specific athletic training programs out there.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
An olympic gold medal. I dont know what its like over there, but win a gold medal as an aussie and you are set for life and a household name. Try doing that as an MMA fighter. I heard somewhere that GSP was considering representing canada at the olympics for wrestling, no doubt he is doing it for the same reasons.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
My point was that the model T Ford was a real machine that did not work all that well and was not as good as a horse but that did not stop the progress. Now looking back who would ride a horse as their means of transportation. I can't equate a fictional thing to a real thing.

And my point is that a working LaJust system is a fictional thing.

Point being, EPP is here to stay, you must change and grow with this system and others to come. LaJust is just the one system and one of the first to be used in production. Will it be around in 10 years? Who knows but something will and LaJust paved the way. 1st Gen stuff never is the best. Just look at the fist Mac's or PC's They were rediculious. The Iphone has more computing power than anything that got us to the moon.

Again, you seem to think that I am against electronic scoring. I am not. What I am against is LaJust because it doesn't work. And LaJust isn't first generation. They recently "upgraded" it and it is worse.

You can't spend your time complaining once the milk is spilt, you can only clean it up. If all the energy use in simply complaining was use to help fix or even create and make a better system was use then we would be well ahead of what we have today.

Maybe you can't spend your time trying to change things at a policy making level, and perhaps you shouldn't be trying to. But others who occupy a different station and are on a different part of the journey can, and should. I'm just letting MT members know what is going on. I don't expect anyone to do anything. If you don't wish to know what is going on, then don't read my posts dealing with those issues.

Maybe we should all be sending in list of issue with the system and asking for the fixes and not just complaining that my guy thinks this sucks.

The only person who is complaining is you, apparently because you don't wish to hear about things that are going on. As for sending in lists of issues, I would leave that sort of thing to your instructor. That is his level of responsibility, not yours. You could give him your list for him to consider, but what he does with your suggestions is his business, not yours.

I work in High Tech. I see products developed all the time. They all suck in the beginning. But the companies take feed back and make the products better and better. But just saying it sucks won't help the company or the person using it.

People have told LaJust about the problems, even though they had to have known about it even before anyone said anything. They came out with a newer system and it was worse.