World Championships USA

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only person who is complaining is you, apparently because you don't wish to hear about things that are going on. As for sending in lists of issues, I would leave that sort of thing to your instructor. That is his level of responsibility, not yours. You could give him your list for him to consider, but what he does with your suggestions is his business, not yours.
hhmmmm... Thank you for the conversation Sir.:asian:

armortkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I asked about this and was told that Scott Fujii left OTC after he won Nationals. So he was an OTC member when he won gold in 1991.
Scott may have went to do some training at the OTC team prior to 91 Nationals, but he wasn't on OTC team. Hyon and Scott were sporting those killer USA flag jackets, and OTC had some awful purple, orange, and white warmups. Scott ripped open Johnny Suzuki's eye from Hawaii, and Hyon was coaching him. They both came over to talk to me when my Hawaii teammate Manny Omar won the High Board Breaking Contest.

armortkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ok, OTC alumni then. I think Master Scott Fujii is an underrated, unappreciated gem of a coach. He has a brilliant Taekwondo mind, and would be one of my first choices if we ever started up the OTC Resident Athlete program. I don't know if he would accept or not. He is not so much a technical coach as he is strategic and psychological. And he probably has one of the best, if not the best Taekwondo specific athletic training programs out there.
Agreed, Scott would be a great coach but just see him moving out there. I'd like to see a male and female coach if there was a new OTC Resident Athlete program. It might help with all of the previous things that were going on that killed it's reputation. My pick would be Elizabeth "Liz" Evans!!! She has been a World Cup Champion, has the respect from everyone, and she is very professional. I remember a conversation with Han Won Lee, and he told me that Liz was his favorite athlete of all time because was always professional. Yet women's featherweight wasn't selected for the 2000 Olympics and that division was strong (Simona Hradil as well), but that's a story for another time =)

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Scott may have went to do some training at the OTC team prior to 91 Nationals, but he wasn't on OTC team. Hyon and Scott were sporting those killer USA flag jackets, and OTC had some awful purple, orange, and white warmups. Scott ripped open Johnny Suzuki's eye from Hawaii, and Hyon was coaching him. They both came over to talk to me when my Hawaii teammate Manny Omar won the High Board Breaking Contest.

I believe Scott was a resident athlete, as was Hyon Lee, for at least a year. Could be wrong. Johnny Suzuki had no business competing at Nationals; he was our State Association treasurer back when I was Secretary General and Vice President, fifteen/twenty years ago. He worked at a bank and got us a free checking account but dropped out of Taekwondo for at least ten years. I haven't thought about Manny Amar in a very long time. I tried to visit him in Hilo fifteen or sixteen years ago when he had that basement dojang, but then he was gone. He never participated in our State Association. Know what happened to him?

armortkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I believe Scott was a resident athlete, as was Hyon Lee, for at least a year. Could be wrong. Johnny Suzuki had no business competing at Nationals; he was our State Association treasurer back when I was Secretary General and Vice President, fifteen/twenty years ago. He worked at a bank and got us a free checking account but dropped out of Taekwondo for at least ten years. I haven't thought about Manny Amar in a very long time. I tried to visit him in Hilo fifteen or sixteen years ago when he had that basement dojang, but then he was gone. He never participated in our State Association. Know what happened to him?
Manny Amar won Silver at 94 Nationals and Gold at the US Olympic Festival. He went back and forth from Hawaii and Michigan to train. Manny struggled with making 118 lbs. I last saw him at Junior Olympics in late 90s, and he even competed at the Festival (?) of the Kings on the Big Island!!!!!! BTW, my stepfather is Jim Arrington and my half-brother is David Arrington.........

Dad of lady Taz!

White Belt
Reaction score
After watching the fights on Dartfish, I have come to a few conclusions.
Yes, there were some bad calls, points that weren't scored etc. But the bottom line is that this year...We Just Were Not Good Enough! We can pass the buck until the ink wears off, but that is the fact. So the best way to fix it is to evaluate, come up with solutions and implement a plan of action. Here are a few of my suggestions...

1. Limit the role of National Team Coaches
They should have an advisory role. Scout the competition, consult with the athletes own coach (you know, the one who has trained them to get to this point) so that they can start working on what is needed long before the week of competition.
In addition, the athlete should be allowed to choose the coach that goes with them to competitions. The national coach will be used as a backup in case their coach is unable to attend.

2. You must foster grass roots
In my opinion we are not helping to develop potential great athletes because our system is only going to support you if you are a proven winner. This usually comes down to who can afford to go to the most events and "camps" (hey rubbing elbows helps too.) But what is missing is a true scouting effort. A system that has real incentives that will allow those without the means but talent to develop so that we can get the best athletes possible...not just the best who could afford it.

3. Treat the athletes better
Money isn't everything, sometimes it comes down to how you treat people. Small incentives that cost you nothing but a little forethought like....
a. If a Jr athlete makes team....they should get a waiver for the next year's qualifier.
b. If you make the team trials (JO & Nationals) you should not have to pay to participate...Dumb.
c. Stop waiting until people have begun signing up for events to start implementing rule changes or the more common...releasing the details. This is not only rude but it's...RUDE! and shows a lack of respect to the membership.
d. Be more helpful. I get so tired of calling USAT and getting the old "I don't Know". It's your job! I called once to get an answer to a simple question. "What is the minimum age to participate in taekwondo at the Olympics" It took me two weeks of calling back and forth to get answer because people didn't know.

There is much more but I want to try and keep this constructive. Lastly I want to say something regarding the little "talk" that our athletes received in Korea. I believe that they did their best. Watching the fights, every fighter that I was familiar with fought their fight. And unfortunately it wasn't good enough. For you to berate them for their efforts is senseless. That's like blaming a Chevy for not being a Ferrari! You want to improve it, roll up your sleeves and get under the hood.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny Amar won Silver at 94 Nationals and Gold at the US Olympic Festival. He went back and forth from Hawaii and Michigan to train. Manny struggled with making 118 lbs. I last saw him at Junior Olympics in late 90s, and he even competed at the Festival (?) of the Kings on the Big Island!!!!!!

I want to say that Festival of the Kings is held on Maui, not the Big Island.

BTW, my stepfather is Jim Arrington and my half-brother is David Arrington.........

I remember Jim Arrington and his son David. I thought David had the talent to medal at nationals, if not vie for the national team. Last I heard, your step father was up in Washington State somewhere. He tried to make a play for our state president position back in 91 or 92, somewhere in there, which didn't go too well for him. He ended up leaving soon thereafter and his student Leon Oliver who had a school in Wahiawa ended up paying for it.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
hhmmmm... Thank you for the conversation Sir.:asian:

I never called any of my teachers or seniors "Sir". That was never part of the language of any of the schools that I have been a student at, and none of my teachers or seniors ever asked that I use that term.

armortkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I want to say that Festival of the Kings is held on Maui, not the Big Island.

I remember Jim Arrington and his son David. I thought David had the talent to medal at nationals, if not vie for the national team. Last I heard, your step father was up in Washington State somewhere. He tried to make a play for our state president position back in 91 or 92, somewhere in there, which didn't go too well for him. He ended up leaving soon thereafter and his student Leon Oliver who had a school in Wahiawa ended up paying for it.
You're right, the Festival was on Maui. David was on the 96 US Junior National Team. He did fight Seniors in 95 and lost to Paul Nelson from the Army team in the quarterfinals I believe. David could of been on Senior Team, and he was asked to go to OTC. But after Sang Lee sent us a letter stating that the International Exchange was cancelled. Jim made some calls and made a formal complaint because he knew that the USOC set aside $60,000 just for this. David made his own decision to stop competing and play basketball instead.

As for Jim and the Hawaii Pres position, that was a bunch of horse manure. I was there when Ik Mu Kang, Bart Gonzales, Walter Harrington, & 1-2 others was there . Lee from the Big Island had been Prez and hosted Hawaii States prior. Ik Mu Kang was ITF and was under Unified TKD Assoc. My stepfather Jim at the time was a 4th almost 5th dan, an International Referee, and had many connections at the Kukkiwon, KTA, ATU, Spain, and ETU. But Ik Mu Kang was an old buddy of Sang Lee. USTU Pres Kyongwon Ahn called Jim personally so he would be Vice President for Hawaii. Jim attended the USTU State Presidents meetings in 91. As for my personal coach Leon Oliver, he pushed David and me SOOOOO HARD!!!! When Jim got orders to Florida, Mr. Oliver lost Jim as his coach/mentor. Dae Sung Lee left OTC and moved back then Bobby Smith came onboard in 92. Jim got Hawaii organized for the state tournament, referee training, and junior/senior camps for JOs/Nationals. As a side note, Jim was the 1st Taekwondo instructor to be inducted in the Hawaii Karate Congress and was the 1st TKD commissioner of the Aloha State Games.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never called any of my teachers or seniors "Sir". That was never part of the language of any of the schools that I have been a student at, and none of my teachers or seniors ever asked that I use that term.
Well we say Sir, Sir.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
As for Jim and the Hawaii Pres position, that was a bunch of horse manure.I was there when Ik Mu Kang, Bart Gonzales, Walter Harrington, & 1-2 others was there .

From what I remember, Master Arrington wanted to hold an election for the position. As one of the few registered USTU schools with at least 35 registered members, I had a vote. Master Arrington tried to set up a meeting with me and I went but he never showed up. The election never happened and President Kang was reappointed as President. I think this was around 91 or so. Walter Herrington was the one who brought me into the state association and recommended that I serve as Secretary General. Bart Gonzales was Mandy Meloon's first instructor, up through 1st Dan.

Lee from the Big Island had been Prez and hosted Hawaii States prior.

By the 1990's, Master LEE Soo Jang was winding down from USTU politics. Great senior to me, he gave me GM LEE Won Kuk's book. He just offered it to me one day out of the blue.

Ik Mu Kang was ITF and was under Unified TKD Assoc. My stepfather Jim at the time was a 4th almost 5th dan, an International Referee, and had many connections at the Kukkiwon, KTA, ATU, Spain, and ETU. But Ik Mu Kang was an old buddy of Sang Lee.

President Kang did have a relationship with President Elect Lee when both lived in New York state. However, to be fair, that wasn't the basis for making Master Ik Mu Kang our State President. The main reason was because he had the most schools and the most students. Bart Gonzales, Walter Herrington, Bob Smith, Johnny Suzuki, and others were all under Master Kang and they brought the bulk of the students to our meager State Championships back then. So it made sense to select Master Kang to be our state president.

USTU Pres Kyongwon Ahn called Jim personally so he would be Vice President for Hawaii. Jim attended the USTU State Presidents meetings in 91.

That was President Ahn's way. He generally tried to hold the peace between factions and that was his solution to the state president issue. Made sense to me.

As for my personal coach Leon Oliver, he pushed David and me SOOOOO HARD!!!! When Jim got orders to Florida, Mr. Oliver lost Jim as his coach/mentor.

When did you move to Hawaii and when did you move to Florida? Once Master Arrington left, Leon Oliver and his two daughters were all alone. He slowly stopped participating and eventually moved to another state. Do you happen to know where he is now? Is his still active in Taekwondo?

Dae Sung Lee left OTC and moved back then Bobby Smith came onboard in 92.

Bob was around before that, and Master Lee came back to Hawaii in 1993. When he arrived, things started to happen.

Jim got Hawaii organized for the state tournament, referee training, and junior/senior camps for JOs/Nationals.

For a couple few years before he left.

As a side note, Jim was the 1st Taekwondo instructor to be inducted in the Hawaii Karate Congress and was the 1st TKD commissioner of the Aloha State Games.

I think Master Kyo Yun LEE (ITF instructor who was murdered in the 70's, who Master Ik Mu Kang replaced in Hawaii) and Master Randy Chun (1st Taekwondo instructor in Hawaii, my first Taekwondo teacher) were the first members of the Hawaii Karate Congress.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well we say Sir, Sir.

Yes, I know. It is yet another of the many differences between the way I learn and you learn, or more specifically, yet another difference between my relationships with my teachers and seniors, and your relationships with your teachers and seniors.

armortkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
From what I remember, Master Arrington wanted to hold an election for the position. As one of the few registered USTU schools with at least 35 registered members, I had a vote. Master Arrington tried to set up a meeting with me and I went but he never showed up. The election never happened and President Kang was reappointed as President. I think this was around 91 or so. Walter Herrington was the one who brought me into the state association and recommended that I serve as Secretary General. Bart Gonzales was Mandy Meloon's first instructor, up through 1st Dan.

By the 1990's, Master LEE Soo Jang was winding down from USTU politics. Great senior to me, he gave me GM LEE Won Kuk's book. He just offered it to me one day out of the blue.

President Kang did have a relationship with President Elect Lee when both lived in New York state. However, to be fair, that wasn't the basis for making Master Ik Mu Kang our State President. The main reason was because he had the most schools and the most students. Bart Gonzales, Walter Herrington, Bob Smith, Johnny Suzuki, and others were all under Master Kang and they brought the bulk of the students to our meager State Championships back then. So it made sense to select Master Kang to be our state president.

That was President Ahn's way. He generally tried to hold the peace between factions and that was his solution to the state president issue. Made sense to me.

When did you move to Hawaii and when did you move to Florida? Once Master Arrington left, Leon Oliver and his two daughters were all alone. He slowly stopped participating and eventually moved to another state. Do you happen to know where he is now? Is his still active in Taekwondo?

Bob was around before that, and Master Lee came back to Hawaii in 1993. When he arrived, things started to happen.

For a couple few years before he left.

I think Master Kyo Yun LEE (ITF instructor who was murdered in the 70's, who Master Ik Mu Kang replaced in Hawaii) and Master Randy Chun (1st Taekwondo instructor in Hawaii, my first Taekwondo teacher) were the first members of the Hawaii Karate Congress.
There was a meeting at that rec center where Walter Harrington and Beatrice taught at. Jim had a USTU club with over 35 members as well. There was a vote, and I remembered Kang and Jim going for a walk and Kang asking Jim to be Vice Pres. USTU stepped in and appointed Kang as Pres. Other than numbers because Harrington, Gonzales, and a few others where under Unified, he has no business being Pres.

Loean Oliver has always lived in Hawaii since 89. His daughters moved away. His wife retired from the Army. As for Jim, he was in the Air Force and was very busy with the first Persian Gulf War then got orders to Florida in June 92.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
There was a meeting at that rec center where Walter Harrington and Beatrice taught at. Jim had a USTU club with over 35 members as well. There was a vote, and I remembered Kang and Jim going for a walk and Kang asking Jim to be Vice Pres. USTU stepped in and appointed Kang as Pres. Other than numbers because Harrington, Gonzales, and a few others where under Unified, he has no business being Pres.

President Kang also was Kukkiwon certified as well, so he fulfilled all of the qualifications for USTU State President. I don't think there were enough registered schools with the required 35 registered members to hold an election, at least at that time.

Leon Oliver has always lived in Hawaii since 89. His daughters moved away. His wife retired from the Army.

So he still lives in Hawaii? I would have never known. Haven't seen him in years.

As for Jim, he was in the Air Force and was very busy with the first Persian Gulf War then got orders to Florida in June 92.

When did you guys move to Hawaii? Is he still teaching?

wisemanrax

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't think having MMA fighters ( professional or amateur ) competing in Taekwondo in order to represent the US makes sense. Most of them regard Taekwondo as a useless ballet dance with no power in their kicks ( or atleast that is what their instructors tell them ), so you will have a hard time actually convincing them to come over to compete. They consider Muay Thai, BJJ, Boxing, and Wrestling to be the fundamental of Mixed Martial Arts. They would have to change everything about the way they fight ( stances, distance ) and put in a lot of time for a sport that does not pay them at all.

As far as the fighters at the championships, they did their best and next time they will try to do better. Maybe our strategy should be going for knockouts at Worlds instead of points ( The Turkish fighter as an example ). Your opponent cannot really win when he/she is unconscious.

ratwood969

White Belt
Reaction score
Manny Amar won Silver at 94 Nationals and Gold at the US Olympic Festival. He went back and forth from Hawaii and Michigan to train. Manny struggled with making 118 lbs. I last saw him at Junior Olympics in late 90s, and he even competed at the Festival (?) of the Kings on the Big Island!!!!!! BTW, my stepfather is Jim Arrington and my half-brother is David Arrington.........

I had a good chat with your stepfather today...He was my TKD instructor in Guam in the 80's. I blew out my shoulder and had to drop out as a brown belt. Since then, I got my shoulder fixed and started back up when my son was old enough to go to class. I am testing this weekend for my 1st Degree and my son for Cho Dan Bo. Good to hear that David got a gold medal eventually; I was in class with him when he was about 10 or so.

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No national support for out athletes. Other conuntries support their athletes, we make ours foot their own way or hope that some private donations or sponcerships happen. By doing this we lose a great many possible hopefuls. I am sure there are some great athletes and fighters out there better than the ones we sent but when you can't get the oppertunities due to financial woes then you lose those people. The sad thing is that you don't even know what you lost.

Not to mention the crazy politics in play with our NGB.

Cosign all day

Latest Discussions