Can you help me confirm information regarding the association I trained in as a kid?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, if it seems like I have a sense of urgency on the issue, that's because he starts kindergarten (not sure if you call it the same thing over there, basically first year in public school) coming up in August.

Kindergarten here is preschool, he would be going into primary school. I would suggest that Judo would be really good for him, it's tough and exhausting with little standing around, it's very physical and good fun. It does require concentration of course but I think honestly it will help. This is one of UK's best Judoka and his story. Ashley McKenzie: how a childhood fight over a Pokemon card led to Commonwealth Games gold

OP
N

NikOnder

White Belt
Reaction score
My dad did Judo in his military days, that may be something to look into. Thanks!

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
then it's not really martial arts in my opinion it's Tai Bo or Boxercise.

Where I live, there's a popular soccer program for preschoolers. The kids don't actually play games of soccer, because they're 4 and can't understand the game yet. Instead, they use simple play and activities to develop basic skills like dribbling, kicking, passing the ball, teamwork, etc. Then, when the kids are a little older, it's easier for them to pick up the game, because they already have those foundational skills and a basic understand of some of the elements of the sport.

I think martial arts classes for very young kids should be like this. The goal isn't to teach little Johnny how to break someone's arm - but it's also not to just be an exercise class where the kid runs around for an hour while Mom buys the groceries. It should give kids a solid foundation for future martial arts study, by teaching basic techniques, developing necessary motor skills, acclimating them to the dojang, etc.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where I live, there's a popular soccer program for preschoolers. The kids don't actually play games of soccer, because they're 4 and can't understand the game yet. Instead, they use simple play and activities to develop basic skills like dribbling, kicking, passing the ball, teamwork, etc. Then, when the kids are a little older, it's easier for them to pick up the game, because they already have those foundational skills and a basic understand of some of the elements of the sport.

I think martial arts classes for very young kids should be like this. The goal isn't to teach little Johnny how to break someone's arm - but it's also not to just be an exercise class where the kid runs around for an hour while Mom buys the groceries. It should give kids a solid foundation for future martial arts study, by teaching basic techniques, developing necessary motor skills, acclimating them to the dojang, etc.

Kids here play football when out playing with other kids, no need for lessons they pick it up from older kids, they also play in the school playground. In fact it's played in a lot of places, 'kickabouts' are common everywhere. People do it all the time.

I still don't think children under 10 should be taught martial arts, I've seen classes where they try and I've seen it doesn't really work. I've seen kids in playgrounds 'kiai-ing' and hitting out at others 'playing' martial arts because they are too young to understand what they learn in martial arts class shouldn't be used outside in that way. Learning the basic movements without having the understanding of when to use them is not something I want to be responsible for teaching.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have apologized for sounding hard on the ATA. Like I said before, my only real problem with them is if he decides to pursue TKD more seriously when he gets older, or if I decide to join classes as well. If so, i'd rather not have to start over in a new association in order to have broader access to the competitive world. I hope that makes sense.
Also, my understanding is their programs can be significantly more costly (hence, my stating that is often geared towards suburban families, i.e. families with extra cash to burn).
You want competition, ATA's got competition. You can have anything from in-school tournaments up to World Championships. Some folks like to do one or two tournaments a year. Some folks go to every tournament they possibly can. It totally depends on how much you want to put into it.

And at the risk of sounding a little egotistical, if we cost more, it's because we are worth it. Instructors in the ATA continue training and learning new things constantly. That ain't cheap. And we have to recertify as instructors every three years. I charge as much for a one hour private lesson as I used to charge when I was a database administrator on a contract job. We're nowhere near as expensive as lawyers, though. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And at the risk of sounding a little egotistical, if we cost more,

It's a constant thing in martial arts about how much classes/lessons should cost. Many feel even charging to impart knowledge is wrong and decry those instructors who charge, however even those who run clubs not schools and do it for love still have utility bills and rent etc to pay for. The other thing of course is that people very often don't value something that is low priced, it's thought that it can't be that good!
When my daughter was much younger ( about 20 years ago), competing in eventing and show jumping we'd pay for lessons which cost far more then than martial arts classes do now, private lessons with British team coaches would cost £30 a half hour AND they'd be shared with one other. I hate to think how much now. However it was very much worth it. People seem happy to pay for good instruction in all other sports and activities yet martial arts are still supposed to impart it's training for next to nothing to be deemed worth anything. Odd!

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, when parents tell me how much piano lessons are, I think martial arts can be quite inexpensive in comparison.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's a constant thing in martial arts about how much classes/lessons should cost. Many feel even charging to impart knowledge is wrong and decry those instructors who charge, however even those who run clubs not schools and do it for love still have utility bills and rent etc to pay for.
They have watched too many chop-socky movies, I think. The days of a teacher sitting on a rock and imparting wisdom and knowledge in exchange for a bowl of rice are long over, if they ever existed at all.
The other thing of course is that people very often don't value something that is low priced, it's thought that it can't be that good!
When my daughter was much younger ( about 20 years ago), competing in eventing and show jumping we'd pay for lessons which cost far more then than martial arts classes do now, private lessons with British team coaches would cost £30 a half hour AND they'd be shared with one other. I hate to think how much now. However it was very much worth it. People seem happy to pay for good instruction in all other sports and activities yet martial arts are still supposed to impart it's training for next to nothing to be deemed worth anything. Odd!
Agreed. I just raised my rates on the first of the year (my rent went up). And it's a good thing, in a way. I'll get people who say they can't afford it and I'll work with them to lower the monthly rate by stretching the payments out longer. Guess who are the first folks to default on their agreements! We've decided no more Mr. Nice Guy. If you can't afford $177/mo for six months, then you are not a good credit risk (so to speak) for my school.

Latest Discussions