Winning in Martial Arts: Mind Set or Skill Set?

Is winnng in the marital arts mostly due to mind set, or skill set?

• Almost totally mind set

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Mostly mind set (maybe 2:1, or 3:2 mind/will over skills)

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • Mostly skill set (maybe 2:1, or 3:2 skills over mentallity)

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Almost totally skill set

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting insights all round, gentlemen :rei:. I particularly like the European 'classical' examples that Langenschwert brought us tho'. Just goes to show that the essentials have remained practically unchanged over the centuries.

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
IMO, you do need a reasonable amount of skill maybe even just the basics along with the proper frame of mind to handle your average bar drunk or basic street punk. I'm talking about a person with just a handful of techniques that he or she could do reasonably well and effectively.

Though I feel in all honesty that size is what really matters.

(keep it clean guys :wink2: )

I find it statistically unlikely that a person 5' 2" weighing 85lbs would stand a chance against a person 6' 5" weighing 260lbs.

The smaller person could be a highly skilled BB and still have 2 strikes against them before an altercation even started. I would say 9 out of 10 times he would take a serious beating. You can have a strong will, a strong mind and a great deal of skill and it still may not be enough.

Skill and finess may overcome power but when you add in the extra weight and size, there is little room for error.

-Marc-

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

In a sporting encounter that is definitely the case. That's why we have wieght divisions. If you're actually trying to kill the guy with your bare hands then it is less of an issue, but it is certainly one of MAJOR deciding factors. When it comes to armed combat (both sporting and in earnest), size matters very little. Reach means a lot for armed combat, but it's not everything.

Best regards,

-Mark

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score

I find it statistically unlikely that a person 5' 2" weighing 85lbs would stand a chance against a person 6' 5" weighing 260lbs.

The smaller person could be a highly skilled BB and still have 2 strikes against them before an altercation even started. I would say 9 out of 10 times he would take a serious beating. You can have a strong will, a strong mind and a great deal of skill and it still may not be enough.

Skill and finess may overcome power but when you add in the extra weight and size, there is little room for error.

-Marc-
Yes, all true. But, with enough heart and just a little skill, the shorter person is actually in a better position to attack the groin and legs of the taller person, being closer to the target, so to speak. If he/she slaps the groin, grabs/squeezes, and rips, maybe s/he would be the 1 out of 10 that you're talking about who would *win.* :D This is made more likely, BTW, because the much larger person will probably be feeling pretty confident--until he's feeling pretty nauseated. :lol:

As one quote above said: Audacity is the virtue that makes this art.

Now if the smaller person foolishly squares up to box or otherwise street duel such an outsized opponent, well, then.... :erg:

ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
mind and skill is the two legs of a person. lose any one of the two , it will be off ballance.talking about general concept of fight, both are required. but in a specific fight, it may shift to one side, mind or skill.
o the other hand, in training, strengthening both parts is our goal. IMO, in very beginning, skill should be more, for body construction.when step into senior level, mind should be more.

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have to say that naturally skills are important. You can not achieve much in any aspect of life if you do not have the basic skills.
However the mind is what sets exceptional apart from the good.

Most people will try something only once - if it works they use it again. If it fails they throw it away and never attempt it again. Think about when you spar - if you try something new and you eat a punch\kick your initial reaction is to not do that again. However the exceptional will try it again and again and again before they make such a decision.

With regards to stepping off centre - this is one difficult skill to learn. We are hard wired to step away from danger and if the danger is infront of us the furthest we can step is backwards. To overcome this requires a great deal of mental strength and conditioning to overcome that genetic hardwiring.

Again, skills are important - they are the tool. The mind is even more important, it's the motivation to use the tool.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"The moral is to the physical as three to one" Napeleon Bonaparte

In this case it's mind set over skill.

Deaf

Latest Discussions