What did it take for you??

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi there,

I was reading an article last night regarding the black belt testing for a particular karate school - it was relatively intense but naturally got me thinking about it so i figured i'd ask the question here

What did your black belt, sash or equivilent involve?
If you don't mind giving a bit of background - like style and the amount of time you had spent training prior it would be appreciated.

Personally i can't answer this yet - my black belt is still a few year off......i'll let you know once i get it though.

Cheers

wushu2004

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi there,

I was reading an article last night regarding the black belt testing for a particular karate school - it was relatively intense but naturally got me thinking about it so i figured i'd ask the question here

What did your black belt, sash or equivilent involve?
If you don't mind giving a bit of background - like style and the amount of time you had spent training prior it would be appreciated.

Personally i can't answer this yet - my black belt is still a few year off......i'll let you know once i get it though.

Cheers

I can't give you a play-by-play but I can give a rough...memory.

I remember going through all my techniques (kicks, strikes, blocks)and self - defense moves. I can remember defending against various weapons. I remember writing down the names of everything that appears in my handbook, and writing an essay on why I should be a Jr. Black Belt. I can recall doing other items that I don't remember doing in class like front rolls and back rolls. And...the sparring. That was pretty intense.

*EDIT*

Prior to that point, I had been involved in the same self - defense program for about 8 years. As to style, there isn't one. Our style is a mix of many, most notably Judo, Aikido, Karate, and Wushu.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, for my TKD 1st dan, the test was 10 katas, all kicks, all strikes, all blocks, 20 one steps, as many self defense as they wanted to do, 4 clubs, 4 knives, at least 3 breaks, min of 20 fights, including multiple 2 on 1's, and at least two 3 on 1's

For 2nd, I had 4 katas, a self made bo kata, 10 one steps, 5 3-steps, 4 new kicks, bull in the ring self defense, a specialty demo (mine was kenpo self defense in a fluid multiple attacker scenario) breaks and sparring

Kenpo was worse

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
1st Dan test in Taekwondo:
Do Koryo and Kumgang forms, free fight various opponents, and do a breaking demo. Mine was knife hand strike, back side kick, sliding side kick.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our test is broken down into several components. They may vary slightly from dojo to dojo, but basically it's the same test in all our dojos.

Proficiency test. Students are required to demonstrate perfect execution of all fifty classical techniques.

Strikes test. Students are required to demonstrate perfect execution of all strikes, blocks and their variations.

Free-style self-defense test. Students are tested on their skill in free-style defense against a total of 150 single and multiple attackers and against weapons attacks

Ki test. Students are required to demonstrate perfect control of ten Ki positions.

First Aid test. Students are required to pass a written test on basic dojo first aid.

Verbal test. Student answer a series of questions asked by the instructor concerning the martial arts.

Written test. Students are required to pass a written examination concerning the art of Nihon Goshin Aikido.

Teaching experience. Students must have at least one year experience as an assistant instructor.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a Taekwondo guy. My 1st Dan test was 23 years ago. It was 3 hours long & included: 10 forms, 30 one & three step sparring, all kicks, all basic techniques (blocks, strikes, etc) SD, lots of breaking.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A full day: of exercises, forms (done over and over again) fighting everyone there multiple times and then multiple attackers. Then repeat all of the above till the instructor was satisfied I would not give up.
Exhaustion was so far in the past by the time the testing was over only the mind and pure self protection instincts where there at the end

Latest Discussions