wing chun

Mr.J

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am attempting to teach myself siu lim tau. Form and i found an app that demonstrates the complete form an breakdown. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me the liniage of this version. Because frankly i dont want to be just some wanker who nows nothing if the liniage. Sadly im poor and removed from many options. So if any one has usefull information. The app is here its for droid Operating system.

曾氏詠春拳(Wing Chun-Siu Lim Tao) - Android Apps on Google Play

From what i can tell the app is siu lim tau. And it does follow the middle line and all other tenets of wing chun.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am sorry to be the one to bring you bad news, but the honest truth is that video, as the primary source of instruction, is a mistake and you should not do it. You need to work directly with a teacher for this stuff, there are too many subtleties and nuances that can only be taught in a hands-on, face-to-face arrangement with a good teacher. Anybody who tells you differently is lying to you.

If a good teacher is not available to you, then my condolences, but this endeavor is simply out of your reach. Don't waste your time and efforts with this app or anything like it. You may learn to mimick the form, but all the important stuff is guaranteed to be wrong. The bad habits you develop will make it much more difficult to learn properly if you find a good teacher later.

Video, or an app, is NOT better than nothing.

OP
M

Mr.J

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am sorry to be the one to bring you bad news, but the honest truth is that video, as the primary source of instruction, is a mistake and you should not do it. You need to work directly with a teacher for this stuff, there are too many subtleties and nuances that can only be taught in a hands-on, face-to-face arrangement with a good teacher. Anybody who tells you differently is lying to you.

If a good teacher is not available to you, then my condolences, but this endeavor is simply out of your reach. Don't waste your time and efforts with this app or anything like it. You may learn to mimick the form, but all the important stuff is guaranteed to be wrong. The bad habits you develop will make it much more difficult to learn properly if you find a good teacher later.

Thank you for your opinion. I have taught myself many things this will be no different.

In the valley of the blind the one eyed man is king.

OP
M

Mr.J

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Also that was not the question i asked. My main quiestion was that of liniage of the movements and there set up. Please read the full post before employing a generic answer.

No man is more blind then he who relys on only one sense.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Also that was not the question i asked. My main quiestion was that of liniage of the movements and there set up. Please read the full post before employing a generic answer.

No man is more blind then he who relys on only one sense.
I know what your question was. But I gave you an answer that actually matters.

Do what you want with it, if you choose to pursue this that is up to you. At least I know I gave you a truthful answer, so the choice to waste your time is yours alone.

Best of luck to you.

OP
M

Mr.J

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I know what your question was. But I gave you an answer that actually matters.

Do what you want with it, if you choose to pursue this that is up to you. At least I know I gave you a truthful answer, so the choice to waste your time is yours alone.

Best of luck to you.

thank you.
And if i said the true purpose of wing chun was to teach the middle way what would you say?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
don__t_feed_the_troll___by_blag001-d5r7e47.png

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not seeing anything in the link for me to determine lineage.Maybe I'm not getting everything from the link?

OP
M

Mr.J

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not seeing anything in the link for me to determine lineage.Maybe I'm not getting everything from the link?

Yeah thats the same conclusion i came too. I was hopeing someone could download the app and help with the liniage based on the movements provided. if you are unable to do so i understand. And thank you for not cosigning the opinion of a crane.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah thats the same conclusion i came too. I was hopeing someone could download the app and help with the liniage based on the movements provided. if you are unable to do so i understand. And thank you for not cosigning the opinion of a crane.
Put it to rest, son.

I gave you honest, good advice. It's not the answer you wanted, and you are welcome to take it or leave it. I've moved on, I expect you to do so as well.

OP
M

Mr.J

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Put it to rest, son.

I gave you honest, good advice. It's not the answer you wanted, and you are welcome to take it or leave it. I've moved on, I expect you to do so as well.
Your the one still dwelling on it.

OP
M

Mr.J

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't appreciate the jab you made at me, in your response to Tames D.

Grow up and put it to rest.
And i dont appreciate opinions that are not asked for. As you did in your first post to me.

If the string is to tight it will break. If it is to lax the music will not play. You must find a place between the middle way.

Latest Discussions