Training Wing Chun?

Been wondering, for a while now, how I can train Wing Chun with this stupid shoulder issue. I can't really work on the Mook and I can't do Bong Sao properly with my right arm. Last week I was actually thinking Wing Chun was done.

Then it hit me, yesterday, foot work. It is very similar to Xingyiquan and some of the JKD foot wook I trained, so I started working on the foot work.

Sill working on Siu Lim Tao, just have to go slow and easy. Also, again yesterday, I figured to work on the Mook much slower and easier as well.

Apparently I am not the quick on the up take sometimes, took me a long time to figure that out.
 
Last edited:
Been wondering, for a while now, how I can train Wing Chun with this stupid shoulder issue. I can't really work on the Mook and I can't do Bong Sao properly with my right arm. Last week I was actually thinking Wing Chun was done.

Then it hit me, yesterday, foot work. It is very similar to Xingyiquan and some of the JKD foot wook I trained, so I started working on the foot work.

Sill working on Siu Lim Tao, just have to go slow and easy. Also, again yesterday, I figured to work on the Mook much slower and easier as well.

Apparently I am not the quick on the up take sometimes, took me a long time to figure that out.
There's a lot to TMA besides right arm techniques. Good for you to realize this and not use a problem as an excuse (consciously or unconsciously) for not working out. I had a lesson with an Ed Parker blackbelt who only had one foot. I actually had my students spar with just one arm, the other tucked into their belt. Having an injured arm could easily occur in a real fight. Tactics become more important and a little more creative and, footwork, kicks, and body motion are more critical to employ those tactics. It's an interesting challenge.

IMO, if you're still alive and able to walk there can be beneficial TMA practice of some sort.
 
Ok, i admit that i’m a little slow to catch on, but with my shoulder issues, mostly what i work on is footwork and I noticed something. Virtually all the footwork of Xingyiquan works well fir Wing Chun. They are actually not all that different
 
Ok, i admit that i’m a little slow to catch on, but with my shoulder issues, mostly what i work on is footwork and I noticed something. Virtually all the footwork of Xingyiquan works well fir Wing Chun. They are actually not all that different
Interesting. Not familiar with Xingyiquan footwork. How does it work well with WC? Spacing? Weight distributions? Power generation? Stepping patterns?
 
Interesting. Not familiar with Xingyiquan footwork. How does it work well with WC? Spacing? Weight distributions? Power generation? Stepping patterns?
- Xingyiquan stepping tends to cover more ground
- Weight distribution is similar, back weighted
- Power generation, that’s a good question. Only answer i can give is might be. I am pre Sure any power i generate is Xingyiquan. But working in class, on application, with my sifu, he never corrected me
- Stepping patterns are similar in application. But with my limited experience in Wing Chun, the trained advancing step is only similar to Xingyiquan Bengquan. But again i have used what i know from xingyiquan when working with applications and not been corrected.
 
- Xingyiquan stepping tends to cover more ground
- Weight distribution is similar, back weighted
- Power generation, that’s a good question. Only answer i can give is might be. I am pre Sure any power i generate is Xingyiquan. But working in class, on application, with my sifu, he never corrected me
- Stepping patterns are similar in application. But with my limited experience in Wing Chun, the trained advancing step is only similar to Xingyiquan Bengquan. But again i have used what i know from xingyiquan when working with applications and not been corrected.
Cool. Would be interested to learn more. I wonder, for straight forward linear moving/stepping, what is the foot distance (laterally). I'll have to look up some XYQ vids on Youtube.
 
Cool. Would be interested to learn more. I wonder, for straight forward linear moving/stepping, what is the foot distance (laterally). I'll have to look up some XYQ vids on Youtube.
Most Xingyiquan you see today limits itself to a few ways of stepping. But traditionally and currently in Wudang style you get many more. That is where it gets obvious

However a good example of Hebei on youtube would be Hai Yang. The person my Wudang comes from is Zhou Xuan Yun, and i don’t think he has any xingyiquan in YouTube.

​

 
Cool. Would be interested to learn more. I wonder, for straight forward linear moving/stepping, what is the foot distance (laterally). I'll have to look up some XYQ vids on Youtube.
Should say xingyi also has a stepping that zig zags. And it turns on a dime. But any of the stepping patterns should be trained weaving in an out, even walking the circle similar to, but not the same as baguazhang . But the only person i have seen demo this was Zhou Xuan Yun (Wudang). It is also discussed in Di Guoyong’s first book on Xingyiquan. But Di Guoyong is Shang & Hebei Style
 
Well, my shoulder is doing better. I can now do Bong Sao with my right arm. Also doing some light work on the mook. Hopefully will be back to official training next month.

spent a few months in pain that was always there if I was moving it. Also the right shoulder was a great alarm clock. Most unfortunaly it decided I needed to be awake every morning at 3:30am.

Got to another MD (Ortho Doc), thought I was looking at surgery, he wanted to try another cortisone shot and PT. The shot took the pain away, and I found a PT group that specializes in Rotator cuff issues...so far so good. However if it does not last, it will be an MRI, likely surgery and 3 to 6 months of recovery. So I am taking it slow and easy....

But in the mean time I decided to watch, Master Z, and Ip Man 1, 2, 3, 4. I will be watching 2 this evening.... and heck, by the time I get though to 4, I likely will be a Waing Chun master and open my own school :D
 
Back
Top