Training Wing Chun?

, not yet, in Taiwan now, see my flag changed

I’d love to go check it out, but I am here and will be there with my wife and daughter for only a few days, not much time for a lot. But if I find myself at Nathan Road(Kowloon, I will check to see if it is still there, thanks

If you have time, you might want to check out this place:

2-28 Peace Park – Taipei, Taiwan (和平公園, HĆ©pĆ­ng GōngyuĆ”n)

Nice park. People welcoming, often willing to share their practice.


 
, not yet, in Taiwan now, see my flag changed

I’d love to go check it out, but I am here and will be there with my wife and daughter for only a few days, not much time for a lot. But if I find myself at Nathan Road(Kowloon, I will check to see if it is still there, thanks
No flag, just a square with an X.

I checked online, it looks as Leung Ting’s headquarters still there at Nathan road, a little north up the road
 
No flag, just a square with an X.

I checked online, it looks as Leung Ting’s headquarters still there at Nathan road, a little north up the road
Thsnks

As to the flag, i see it, on 2 different devices. But since you’re in China, is it all that surprising that you don’t see a Taiwan flag ;)
 
In Hong Kong, actually Kowloon at the moment, just saw a big, light up, scrolling sign for this place.


I don’t have any time to try and train, and i doubt they would let me, but i am going to see if i can find it just the same

Also, does standing outside the Yip Man martial arts association count as training? :)
 
Never mind, the school is a 50 minute walk, and i am on a family trip, not a martial arts trip
 
In Hong Kong, actually Kowloon at the moment, just saw a big, light up, scrolling sign for this place.


I don’t have any time to try and train, and i doubt they would let me, but i am going to see if i can find it just the same

Also, does standing outside the Yip Man martial arts association count as training? :)

Saw the gym many yrs back, just a sign at the time, if memory serves me I think it was in the same area as the park...sounds like a good trip....šŸ‘
 
Training currently on hold while I deal with a minor tear in my rotator cuff
 
Meant with my sifu twice since gettng back from my trip, but no for a lesson,mostly jst to visit and ask a couple questions. Hopefully returning to training in September, might even pick up a couple private classes to get me back into the swing of things and remember some of the things hetaught me, that I have not been able to train due to this shoulder.

And the shoulder is getting better, just slowly, I can almost due a proper bong sau. When this first happened the only way to get a bong sau in front of myself was to rurn my body, which is not in Sim nim Tau
 
Did locate a school in Hong Kong that I find interesting, but I found it after I got back to the states

Mindful Wing Chun

I think it interests me due to my Taijiquan/Xingyiquan back ground

Aparently it comes fron Chu Shong-tin

I know littell about it, it was the modfulness aspect that interested me.
 
Did locate a school in Hong Kong that I find interesting, but I found it after I got back to the states

Mindful Wing Chun

I think it interests me due to my Taijiquan/Xingyiquan back ground

Aparently it comes fron Chu Shong-tin

I know littell about it, it was the modfulness aspect that interested me.
School looks very cleancut probably have that ā€œhotel scentā€ too.
However I would have chosen Leung Ting’s Kowloon school or something similar
 
School looks very cleancut probably have that ā€œhotel scentā€ too.
However I would have chosen Leung Ting’s Kowloon school or something similar
Thank you, it does look awfully clean and shiny doesn’t it. Much cleaner and shinier than the place i currently train at here in the USA

I’m not choosing a school, i’m just interested in the mindfulness approach. I am rather happy with the school i am in, the teacher i have and the lineage it is part of. Also, part of what i like about my current place is that it looks like a martial arts school you might typically see in southern China. Not very large, a walk of mook jongs (from 2 different styles) and heavy bags, training gear all around the room, a wall if various weapons and a set if shelves with all the things needed for the dragon dance

I seriously doubt i will ever have the time to train anything if i get back to Hong Kong. It would be more a place to check out while my wife is shopping, so i wouldn’t have to.
 
Going a bit stir crazy not being able to get back to the Kwoon due to this stupid rotator cuff injury. Think later this month I am going to try and set up a couple private lessons with my sifu and see how the shoulder does

I was actually able to get my right arm into a proper Bong Sau today, without having to use my other had to help get it there.

I will say this, the months off and only working on the Mook Jong, to where i know and working on Siu Nim Tau has taught me a few things that are more, I hesitate to say, internal in nature. That and a couple videos helped as far as the Mook Jong goes and where the force should be going
 
In my experience, when I was injured, I found that there was ALWAYS something to train. Always some aspect or attribute I could train/practice to keep busy while waiting to heal. Shoulder injuries suck. They take enormous amounts of time to heal.
I'll second this.

Can't train because of shoulder, train legs. As far as most Wing Chun goes, most people NEVER have an adequate stance. So, rotator cuff injury in my mind = Leg Day until it's healed.

That is, of course with the cavate that if leg training aggravates the injury at all, then there is a reason to not train.
 
I'll second this.

Can't train because of shoulder, train legs. As far as most Wing Chun goes, most people NEVER have an adequate stance. So, rotator cuff injury in my mind = Leg Day until it's healed.

That is, of course with the cavate that if leg training aggravates the injury at all, then there is a reason to not train.
100% agree with train legs. IMO, the majority of WC folks focus too much on the hands. Train the legs, then train them again, then again. etc. WC leg training / lower body training is largely lost knowledge, sadly.
 
100% agree with train legs. IMO, the majority of WC folks focus too much on the hands. Train the legs, then train them again, then again. etc. WC leg training / lower body training is largely lost knowledge, sadly.
It's a key feature of Sum Nung Wing Chun. We actually put an enormous amount of effort into stance training in the earlier stages. Done the traditional way you'd ONLY do stance training for about 6 months. By the time you get through the first few months you get a very strong stance.
 
100% agree with train legs. IMO, the majority of WC folks focus too much on the hands. Train the legs, then train them again, then again. etc. WC leg training / lower body training is largely lost knowledge, sadly.
Years ago i use to meet with some wing chun guys who would get together for Chi sau. I’d go and use push hands. There were a couple there that seem to entirely forgot they had legs and feet.

I am working legs at this point, but being old and decrepit, one of my knees is bothering me so it is limited at the moment
 
It's a key feature of Sum Nung Wing Chun. We actually put an enormous amount of effort into stance training in the earlier stages. Done the traditional way you'd ONLY do stance training for about 6 months. By the time you get through the first few months you get a very strong stance.
I train stances, i have a background in Xingyiquan, so for me stance training is a sickness i just can’t seem to cure ;)
 
I have discovered, that a day that starts with Wing Chun forms and the Mook Jong..... is a good day. See how it goes the rest of the week
 
Back
Top