Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This is silly Wing Chun vs MMA...really!!!!!

Foolish mortals....... NOTHING!!!! beats Anbo-Jitsu..."the ultimate evolution in the martial arts"

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is silly Wing Chun vs MMA...really!!!!!

Foolish mortals....... NOTHING!!!! beats Anbo-Jitsu..."the ultimate evolution in the martial arts"

hahahahahaha....you Trekkie!!!

tng-theicarusfactor14.jpg

kakkattekoi

Orange Belt
Reaction score

The guy in blue is an extremely skilled wc practitioner. Watch how he spars.

skilled wc practitioner?

(starting from 22:22) and (starting from 39:05)

many wc practitioners commented on these two fights after the show was aired

most comments were he is not as skilled as he claim to be and he only have one move which is neck grab

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If that guy in blue is me, why would i refer to myself in the third person or praise myself?

That blue dude is a 3 times sanda champion. Have you joined any competition, let alone win one? Below is a whole list of his qualifications, copied from their facebook page:

• 1989 started practicing Ving Tsun under the coaching of Master Wong Shun Leung.
• 1997 Assisted in the establishment of the Ving Tsun Martial Arts Institute.
• 2001 Participated in Hong Kong Wushu Sanda Opens and gained recognition for 3 consecutive years
• 2004 Invited to join the HKSAR Sanda Team and represented Hong Kong to participate in the 7th World Wushu Championships
• 2004 to 2010 Participated in mnore than 10 contest of Sanda, Kick-boxing and various kinds of ring games since then until 2010.
• 2009 Acquired the Level 1 Instructor recognition awarded by the Hong Kong Wing Chun Union.
• 2010 Acquired the Level 2 Instructor recognition awarded by the Hong Kong Wing Chun Union.
• 2010 Founded Pure Ving Tsun (PVT Group)
• 2010 Invited to coach Ving Tsun at the HKSAR Customs and Excise Martial Arts Club
• 2011 Invited to coach Ving Tsun at PCCW Recreation Club
• 2011 Invited to coach Kick-Boxing at PCCW Credit Union
• 2011 Invited to coach Ving Tsun at the Hong Kong Craigengower Cricket Club
• 2012 Participated as a co-host of Kung Fu Quest II TV programme Produced by RTHK
• 2012 Invited to be Ving Tsun Instructor by the Hong Kong Federation of Youth Groups
• 2012 Acquired Ving Tsun Instructor Certificate from Ving Tsun Athletic Association
• co-host of Kung Fu Quest II TV programme produced by RTHK, 功夫傳奇II之再戰江湖:形意本源

My point is this is one good example how traditional wc looks like in a close range fight. It looks like boxing but with some differences. Most chunners merely do chi sau and believe they can take on the world.

Are there any videos of his San da fights ?

The video of him vsing the Muay Chaiya guy was what I expected.. Which is what most wing chun guys look like. It was better then most on youtube atm though.

Zeny

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Danny, ok fine, he is not a god. What about you list down your own achievements and let us have a look?

Kakka, thanks for linking that video, haven't seen it before. Some fights you win, some fights you lose. However bear in mind as head coach of PVT he is not afraid to put his reputation on the line and use his wc to spar on TV. And when he lost he took it with humility.

kakkattekoi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Danny, ok fine, he is not a god. What about you list down your own achievements and let us have a look?

Kakka, thanks for linking that video, haven't seen it before. Some fights you win, some fights you lose. However bear in mind as head coach of PVT he is not afraid to put his reputation on the line and use his wc to spar on TV. And when he lost he took it with humility.

Personally I enjoyed the show
For me, there is always things to learn when watching these sparring

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
MMA is > than Wing Chun because MMA could potentially include wing chun. WC is a style MMA is not a style per se although a common but changing formula for success has been established. MMA is jkd applied to sport context, what works and gets results is what is respected. When wing chun training starts giving fighters an edge on the competition we'll see it get more mainstream respect until that day it's gonna have it's critics.

sifulane

White Belt
Reaction score
Wing Chun is a Southern style, typically more oriented to upper body techniques with low kicks. Wing chun is also a branch of Crane style, as are most styles of karate. Sokon Matsumura once commented that karate worked well against someone who doesn't know how to fight. I would suspect that could also be true of Wing Chun.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wing Chun is a Southern style, typically more oriented to upper body techniques with low kicks. Wing chun is also a branch of Crane style, as are most styles of karate. Sokon Matsumura once commented that karate worked well against someone who doesn't know how to fight. I would suspect that could also be true of Wing Chun.

While White Crane was likely one of Wing Chun's "roots" back in the day, I don't think I would say that "Wing Chun is a branch of Crane style." That's kind of like saying that the Southern Baptist Church is a branch of the Catholic Church. It may have its roots back in history in the Catholic Church, but saying its a "branch" implies a closer relationship than what actually exists! ;-)

sifulane

White Belt
Reaction score
I agree, maybe "branch" is a bit too binding. You're right, it would be better to just say that Crane was a root. *salute*

Reactions: KPM

Zeny

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Why would you say wc has its roots in white crane?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

That's one popular theory... many believe that the Wing Chun we know that emerged in 19th Century Fo'shan was, in part descended from Fukien Wing Chun White Crane (Youngchun Bai He) maybe a century or so earlier.

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If it's derived from white crane then they gutted it in the process, then replaced the guts with something entirely different.

Zeny

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Personally i think we are moving into fiction territory (ng mui etc) when we say wc is derived from white crane.

Wc's primary attack, the sun punch, is not emphasized at all in white crane.

Would anyone like to point out similarities between wc and white crane?

Otherwise don't believe everything you read on the internet.

At least karate can somewhat trace its roots in white crane, as it has a form by the same name (san zhan or three battles) as the form in white crane, and acknowledges the white crane master (xie zhong xian) as having taught the japanese dude who then returned to japan to start the karate system.

Last edited:

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally i think we are moving into fiction territory (ng mui etc) when we say wc is derived from white crane.

Wc's primary attack, the sun punch, is not emphasized at all in white crane.

Would anyone like to point out similarities between wc and white crane?

Otherwise don't believe everything you read on the internet.

At least karate can somewhat trace its roots in white crane, as it has a form by the same name (san zhan or three battles) as the form in white crane, and acknowledges the white crane master (xie zhong xian) as having taught the japanese dude who then returned to japan to start the karate system.

Agree

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
That blue dude is a 3 times sanda champion. Have you joined any competition, let alone win one?

The list of qualifications don't say anything about becoming a champion or winning anything. It only says "participated" and "gained recognition", whatever that means. In any case, I've not been able to find any record of it. Do you happen to know where they can be found?

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines of official event records.

But thanks for trying.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

The old legends and stories often have a kernel of truth to them. Wing Chun legend says that Ng Mui developed Wing Chun after seeing a fight between a Snake and a Crane. The legend says Ng Mui lived at the White Crane temple, and some stories say that her art prior to developing Wing Chun was White Crane. There is even a White Crane system called Fukien Weng Chun Bak Hok......Fukien Weng Chun White Crane. But this is a topic for another thread.

Latest Discussions