Wing chun legitimacy.

hunt1

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm slightly envious of you :S you can train with people ... and perhaps people come to you for training too... not many Wc practitioners where im from, but if this guy taught locally i wouldn't learn from him unless i really got to know the guy, one video isn't enough to judge someone but some times a little tells you a whole lot more than a lot...if you feel the question was loaded i couldn't have known since i had no idea about your back ground in Wing Chun.

Question was loaded in the sense that I try to comment on the wing chun I see only. Not the person in the video. I try not to get personal. I understand your point and probably agree but it's hard to know what is going on before and after.

OP
D

Dummy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Don't go to somebody's seminar and try and tell them "your ***** is fake" in a passive agressive manner and you won't get hit. If the guy was sincere, he could have asked to follow up with it after the seminar rather than trying to make a it a big deal in front of everyone.

Shannon Moore carries a lot of extra weight, but the dude seems to be no BS. From some of his training videos, looks like he's reasonably strong under the outer shell too.

*EDIT*
Also remember that we're only seeing a bit of it, for all we know that karate guy was being a jerk all day. Seen that before.

Or maybe they were both jerks LoL

OP
D

Dummy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Question was loaded in the sense that I try to comment on the wing chun I see only. Not the person in the video. I try not to get personal. I understand your point and probably agree but it's hard to know what is going on before and after.

Thats true.

Josealb

White Belt
Reaction score
Mine too, thats why it feels so amazing ... but i have very solid reasons to believe that the chi manipulation technique shown in the video is legit and i've also found out that it requires a lot of practice in meditation of the void meditation concept(sorry don't know the buddhist name for the meditation technique) but in essence it means to be behind everything and not being behind everything , at first it sounds contradictory but when you meditate on it.. well that a whole other thread , so i will speak no more of it here.

State your reasons. If they start with:

A)I have seen many clips of him...
B)I was told by a friend of mine....
c)I read in a book that...
D)In my opinion, he...

Those reasons are simply put, bullocks.

Heres a bit of homework for you:

The trick works!

The trick doesnt work when its tested...

The trick is shown as a trick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Or maybe they were both jerks LoL

Also possible. But after seeing how Moore tried profusely to apologize after he smacked that shaolin guy at the temple celebration and even took a few hits to help him save face, he doesn't strike me as a bad dude.

Then again, we all have our days... lol

OP
D

Dummy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
State your reasons. If they start with:

A)I have seen many clips of him...
B)I was told by a friend of mine....
c)I read in a book that...
D)In my opinion, he...

Those reasons are simply put, bullocks.

Heres a bit of homework for you:

The trick works!

The trick doesnt work when its tested...

The trick is shown as a trick.

So you're saying its all the power of suggestion and that since they expect to be hit they feel like they are hit?

OP
D

Dummy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Also possible. But after seeing how Moore tried profusely to apologize after he smacked that shaolin guy at the temple celebration and even took a few hits to help him save face, he doesn't strike me as a bad dude.

Then again, we all have our days... lol

yeah i checked out some of his other things , he doesn't seem like a bad dude.

Josealb

White Belt
Reaction score
So you're saying its all the power of suggestion and that since they expect to be hit they feel like they are hit?

Its exactly what im saying. Lots of people have been put to the test on this type of things...works like a charm with their own students, but it never works on outsiders or strangers. Psychology is amazing, isnt it?

OP
D

Dummy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Its exactly what im saying. Lots of people have been put to the test on this type of things...works like a charm with their own students, but it never works on outsiders or strangers. Psychology is amazing, isnt it?

Ok i've seen the videos and you haven't explained one thing , rather your videos haven't , they don't disprove the existence of Chi , cultivated through meditation as an example i can tell you that half of china uses certain chi techniques to heal certain diseases ... well ... do you mean to say chi doesn't exhist? that its all in our heads?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ok i've seen the videos and you haven't explained one thing , rather your videos haven't , they don't disprove the existence of Chi , cultivated through meditation as an example i can tell you that half of china uses certain chi techniques to heal certain diseases ... well ... do you mean to say chi doesn't exhist? that its all in our heads?

The mind is incredibly powerful and had a lot of influence over the body.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I do not know what to say after seeing this. Absolutely amazing. I am able to generate a lot of heat into the center of my hand but thats about it. His chi is amazing.

Josealb

White Belt
Reaction score

I dont remember talking about chi at all, read again. =)

OP
D

Dummy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I dont remember talking about chi at all, read again. =)

Haha don't cop out , thats exactly my point , your videos don't explain chi , derren brown is pretty good at putting on a show , but my initial theory still stands at one focal point i believe that dondrup dorje was using his chi rather than the power of suggestion as opposed to derren brown.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not sure what any of these "displays" have to do with the OP ...or with WC/WT/VT. The WC I learned is very down-to-earth and practical. The techniques could be explained equally well using a traditional Chinese approach or a modern Western approach. The essential part is that they work. Forget the magic tricks already!

OP
D

Dummy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure what any of these "displays" have to do with the OP ...or with WC/WT/VT. The WC I learned is very down-to-earth and practical. The techniques could be explained equally well using a traditional Chinese approach or a modern Western approach. The essential part is that they work. Forget the magic tricks already!

you're probably right.

OP
D

Dummy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I do not know what to say after seeing this. Absolutely amazing. I am able to generate a lot of heat into the center of my hand but thats about it. His chi is amazing.

Well that's quite amazing too!

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I think it certainly has a play in Wing Chun. Mastering the art (if it is such a thing) is one thing but mastering yourself is another. Imagine how one could increase their effectiveness in every movement, deflection, application of wing chun if you could tap into yourself in this fashion. You could deflect an attack and shock your opponent upon touching him or hit him and displace energy throughout his entire body from one hit. Granted this would have to be done very quickly but my point is, if learned it could help one's wing chun making it that much more effective.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score

I have experience with that all the time as millions of people had ... it's call inflammation caused by arthritis. :rolleyes::p