Two classes from differring lineages at the same time?

VT_Vectis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys, need some advice please.

Currently attend a W.S.L lineage class as and when I can, which isn't as often as I'd like at all. They only do One class a week on Tuesdays and I can't make it sometimes for weeks at a time. The only other place that I can find teaching Wing chun on the island I live on right now is of the Wutan Traditional martial arts school. As far I can make out they start with ving tsun and once reaching higher levels of training they add in other styles like mantis, long fist, and Choy Li Fut. would that be a good idea to further my ving tsun training?

Here's a link to one of there schools websites : http://www.wutan-plymouth.co.uk/ Thoughts?

This class is on a different day and I'd be able to attend far more regularly, but I like the WSL mindset and want to go there too....

Do you think it would be detrimental to my training to attend both? All thoughts and opinions gratefully accepted. Thanks.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
here, read thru this thread: http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php/109775-Could-learning-online-work-if

I talk a bit about the dangers of training with multiple instructors of the same system. Yes, it could be detrimental. But maybe not. There are potential pitfalls if you do it.

Regarding adding other styles like Mantis and whatnot, well what is it you want to train? If it's Wing Chun, then adding other things will get in the way. If you want to train the other things too, then you will simply spread yourself thinly and that might prevent you from developing true skill in any of it.

Everything is a choice, and that includes sacrifices.

J W

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not sure if training in a second school would hurt or help your training at the first, but if you want to get better at WSL Wing Chun, you should do more WSL Wing Chun. Does your sifu at that school offer private lessons outside of the Tuesday classes? Do any of the other students get together to train outside of class? Maybe you get them to start doing so if they don't already.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't do Wing Chun myself, but I'd start initially with bringing this up with your current Sifu and letting him know that you are thinking about adding the other school.

Get his/her input -- not only is it a courtesy, but it also give Sifu a chance to offer something that you didn't think of, or you didn't know was an option.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't do Wing Chun myself, but I'd start initially with bringing this up with your current Sifu and letting him know that you are thinking about adding the other school.

Get his/her input -- not only is it a courtesy, but it also give Sifu a chance to offer something that you didn't think of, or you didn't know was an option.

another thing: going to another school might be seen as disrespectful to your sifu. It just might end your training with him. If he's old-school in any way, you can bank on it.

OP
VT_Vectis

VT_Vectis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
here, read thru this thread: http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php/109775-Could-learning-online-work-if

I talk a bit about the dangers of training with multiple instructors of the same system. Yes, it could be detrimental. But maybe not. There are potential pitfalls if you do it.

Regarding adding other styles like Mantis and whatnot, well what is it you want to train? If it's Wing Chun, then adding other things will get in the way. If you want to train the other things too, then you will simply spread yourself thinly and that might prevent you from developing true skill in any of it.

Everything is a choice, and that includes sacrifices.

Thanks for the reply. I don't really want to train anything other thanVing Tsun, but as it stands if I want to make any real progress in my traing I think I may have to.

OP
VT_Vectis

VT_Vectis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not sure if training in a second school would hurt or help your training at the first, but if you want to get better at WSL Wing Chun, you should do more WSL Wing Chun. Does your sifu at that school offer private lessons outside of the Tuesday classes? Do any of the other students get together to train outside of class? Maybe you get them to start doing so if they don't already.

As far as I'm aware no private tuition is available bit I'll have to chat to to Sifu. The other thing is he's just had a newborn, so that may be an issue. Will try talking to fellow classmates. Thanks.

OP
VT_Vectis

VT_Vectis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
another thing: going to another school might be seen as disrespectful to your sifu. It just might end your training with him. If he's old-school in any way, you can bank on it.

Thanks guys, good points. He's pretty informal, and easygoing. but yeah I'll speak to him about it.

Anyone come a cross the Wutan school before? I believe it's international.

WingChunIan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
stick to one lineage to begin with or you'll actually slow down your progress. If your sifu doesn't do private classes see if any of the senior students fancy earning some extra cash or if any of your peers fancy hooking up to train in between lessons ( of course you could also simply drill basics over and over). Once you've got a decent level of understanding and a good foundation then you should train wherever you can and take knowledge wherever you can get it

SamAbb

White Belt
Reaction score
Wing Chun, particularly WSLVT is very specific in training methodology. Training in another lineage of Wing Chun might offer a bit of perspective on this, but its the practice of other martial arts within the other school you mentioned that troubles me. Learning CLF with Wing Chun is a fundamentally bad idea (my opinion). The two are polar opposites in many, many ways.

I would be asking you WSLVT Sifu for private additional lessons (if appropriate/applicable). In addition (or instead of) I would create a strict home training regimen for yourself focusing only on your WSLVT. Get a hold of as much David Peterson and Gary Lam material as you can afford (see everythingwingchun.com) to supplement your training/knowledge of WSLVT. This would be my approach in your situation.

OP
VT_Vectis

VT_Vectis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi thanks for all the advice. Just a quick update; I attended the wutan school class for a month or so and they were all great guys with a sifu who was a true martial artist; I suspect if I'd started there in my earlier years I'd still be there now but as it was the training for a starting grade was Long Fist exclusively, a style which is possibly the polar opposite of wing chun with wide stances and expansive movements. As I want to concentrate on wing chun this was not helping with my training so I left the school.

Incidentally i watched the Bai ji quan episode of kung fu quest and in it they travelled to Taiwan speaking to disciples ofthe founder of the Wu tan School, a bodyguard of Chang Kai shek and master of the style. Apparently closed door students of Wutan still learn the style all over the world, though it had almost died out in mainland China.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it's OK to train wrestling and Judo at the same time. It will give you a chance to look at the same technique from 2 different angles. It will also help you not to have "style boundary" in mind in the early training stage. When your

- Judo instructor tells you that you should not use your hands to grab on your opponent's leg, you know it should not stop you from doing your "single leg" in your wrestling class.
- wrestling coach tells you that you should not turn your back into your opponent, you know it should not stop you from doing your "hip throw" in your Judo class.

I'm sure 2 different WC systems will have much more similarity than the similarity between Judo and wrestling.

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm currently taking Northern Shaolin and Wing Chun and have no problems with it, I am actually finding that the NS is making WC easier. I think one of the main things to consider is whether or not you have the patience and dedication to train for two different arts, and whether or not your instructor/sifu has an ego. I'm taking private lessons however, so this may be a factor.