Wing Chun Kickers

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The trouble is that on the street, leg movement becomes less subtle

Huen bo is great for closing distance in a spar, because your opponent cannot judge your movement

I have used this in a real fight, but in a less subtle way than when we practice in class. I did a nice one once where I used huen bo with po pai to push a guy into a bush

The huen bo done in bil jee comes back on itself. Huen bo is more of a movement (like arrow walk / bil ma)

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The huen bo done in bil jee comes back on itself. Huen bo is more of a movement (like arrow walk / bil ma)

Dude, you've had some pretty great information to pass down. This is a very accurate statement.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Always a pleasure. It is hard describing things over a forum, but I'm doing some filming at the moment to capture formwork and movements.

If people want a copy of the DVD, let me know

Its not exactly at the level of the likes of Alan Gibson, Austin Goh, James Sinclair etc, but it is something a bit diferent

chisauking

Green Belt
Reaction score
Original questions:

Hey Guys,
I'm not sure if this topic has been brought up before, but i'd like to know more about the extent of wing chun kicking.

The first thing that comes to mind, is how a wing chunner would deal w/a really strong kicker, such as those found in muay thai? I'm sure an obvious response would be to evade and get inside to trapping range. But what if your unable to get inside on the thai boxer?

csk: Don't face the force head on....better to not let the kicker kick in the first place.

Most of the wc kicking that i've seen is low level and seems deflective by nature. Does wc use any powerful kicks? What are the theories? I think i might have heard Randy Williams talk about some more advanced wc kicking concepts that might give a wing chunner an extended range.

csk: If being efficient & effective by cutting out all the 'fancy' stuff -- like jumping up and spinning 6 times before kicking, or lifting your leg above your head and letting it drop back down -- is considered 'basic', then I guess wing chun kicks are basic.

I also remember seeing pictures of Bruce Lee in his early days in the US doing some high-flying/impressive kicking. They also said that Lee's kicks were like being hit by a freight train. Was any of this kicking based in wc, or was it due to his exposure to northern Shaolin and training w/ Chuck Norris?

csk: I believe Lee's kicks were influenced by Jhoon Rhee(SP?)

Truth is, wing chun's hands are so effective, we don't really have a chance to 'show off' our kicking.

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Original questions:

Hey Guys,
I'm not sure if this topic has been brought up before, but i'd like to know more about the extent of wing chun kicking.

The first thing that comes to mind, is how a wing chunner would deal w/a really strong kicker, such as those found in muay thai? I'm sure an obvious response would be to evade and get inside to trapping range. But what if your unable to get inside on the thai boxer?

csk: Don't face the force head on....better to not let the kicker kick in the first place.

Most of the wc kicking that i've seen is low level and seems deflective by nature. Does wc use any powerful kicks? What are the theories? I think i might have heard Randy Williams talk about some more advanced wc kicking concepts that might give a wing chunner an extended range.

csk: If being efficient & effective by cutting out all the 'fancy' stuff -- like jumping up and spinning 6 times before kicking, or lifting your leg above your head and letting it drop back down -- is considered 'basic', then I guess wing chun kicks are basic.

I also remember seeing pictures of Bruce Lee in his early days in the US doing some high-flying/impressive kicking. They also said that Lee's kicks were like being hit by a freight train. Was any of this kicking based in wc, or was it due to his exposure to northern Shaolin and training w/ Chuck Norris?

csk: I believe Lee's kicks were influenced by Jhoon Rhee(SP?)

Truth is, wing chun's hands are so effective, we don't really have a chance to 'show off' our kicking.

I haven't seen you on these boards before but everything I've read so far from you is correct. We're not a flowery bunch of peeps, but we get the job done in the most efficient manner as possible.

chisauking

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hiya, Broclee:

I haven't posted on this forum before....but because I've posted one of my sifu's seminar details here, I feel it's only right to at least contribute a little. I'm not into forums much nowadays because it's very difficult to convey your ideas\concepts over in a way people can accept due to the limitations of the medium. However, if people want to meet up, then I'm more than happy.

BTW, my skills are nothing more than average, so what little I input is most likely wrong anyway.

happy training.

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hiya, Broclee:

I haven't posted on this forum before....but because I've posted one of my sifu's seminar details here, I feel it's only right to at least contribute a little. I'm not into forums much nowadays because it's very difficult to convey your ideas\concepts over in a way people can accept due to the limitations of the medium. However, if people want to meet up, then I'm more than happy.

BTW, my skills are nothing more than average, so what little I input is most likely wrong anyway.

happy training.

Very wise and humble. We all know there is no "average" in wc ;)

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Very wise and humble. We all know there is no "average" in wc ;)
You haven't seen me yet!! Very average!

It all comes down to context. Some people are average martial artists in their own schools but exceptional compared to other schools

But at the end of the day we train for ourselves.

As a friend once told me - It doesn't matter if I can speak French better than one of my friends, as long as I achieve what I learnt it for and a French person understands me!!!

There is always someone better out there (although I have yet to find them - joke)

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hiya again.

Humbo (however it's spelled) is just a term for "half-circle" stepping in advanced stance (one leg forward).
Use it kind of like stepping around a pole in the ground. That same motion you can use to sort of step around a kick, leg, cancle out the opponent's stance i.e. lock up the legs.

I really wouln't want to fight a big tough mui tai fighter, but if I had to for some insane reason, I'd much prefer to angle around the brutal strength of their kicking leg, "wedge" my stepping leg between their stance to keep them from kicking again and hopefully upsett their balance.
That gets me close enough where I can strike with greater effectiveness while cancelling out his/her power.
Then you can play with elbow striking, head and neck throws, chops whatever.

This can also be used to turn your opponents stance where their centerline is NOT facing you anymore, giving you the advantage of their side or back. (you keep your bodys centerline facing the opponent) so you can easily strike, while they have to change their entire body position before they can strike or kick you. This gives someone smaller more of a "fighting" chance to get some good hits in vital areas before the stronger attacker can collect their fighting stratagy.

As for power in WC kicking. My favorite is heel kick, you can kick like a mule with that kick. All the more reason to kick the knee. Big guys usually have bad knees. ;)
Plus, this will bring a taller opponents head closer to my chest so I can get full power in striking. (I really can't elbow my hubbie in the head until I give a good stomp kick or heel kick because he's a full foot taller than me.) So you chop them down with your WC kicking. This can be done with Hook kick too. (although I like litterally "hooking" the kicking or standing leg of the opponent if I'm able).

Just some ideas for use of the WC kicks. Get creative. :)

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hiya again.

Humbo (however it's spelled) is just a term for "half-circle" stepping in advanced stance (one leg forward).
Use it kind of like stepping around a pole in the ground. That same motion you can use to sort of step around a kick, leg, cancle out the opponent's stance i.e. lock up the legs.

I really wouln't want to fight a big tough mui tai fighter, but if I had to for some insane reason, I'd much prefer to angle around the brutal strength of their kicking leg, "wedge" my stepping leg between their stance to keep them from kicking again and hopefully upsett their balance.
That gets me close enough where I can strike with greater effectiveness while cancelling out his/her power.
Then you can play with elbow striking, head and neck throws, chops whatever.

This can also be used to turn your opponents stance where their centerline is NOT facing you anymore, giving you the advantage of their side or back. (you keep your bodys centerline facing the opponent) so you can easily strike, while they have to change their entire body position before they can strike or kick you. This gives someone smaller more of a "fighting" chance to get some good hits in vital areas before the stronger attacker can collect their fighting stratagy.

As for power in WC kicking. My favorite is heel kick, you can kick like a mule with that kick. All the more reason to kick the knee. Big guys usually have bad knees. ;)
Plus, this will bring a taller opponents head closer to my chest so I can get full power in striking. (I really can't elbow my hubbie in the head until I give a good stomp kick or heel kick because he's a full foot taller than me.) So you chop them down with your WC kicking. This can be done with Hook kick too. (although I like litterally "hooking" the kicking or standing leg of the opponent if I'm able).

Just some ideas for use of the WC kicks. Get creative. :)

Yer always so informative. And I love how you always remind us that you're shorter then most your opponents and bringing them down to your level is always a plus ;)

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I do bring that up alot, don't I? lol!
I'm teeny. ;)
You tend to have a different perspective from down here.
So for me the kicking has special importance. It evens the odds a bit for me when facing well, just about everyone elese around is bigger than me! heheh, even other women.

Latest Discussions