Real Wing Chun Competitions

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I did used to drink , I didn't mind some American beers like Samuel Adams or Miller they had a nice crisp refreshing taste compared to a lot of the Aussie beers .

The spread you are talking about is called Vegemite , we grow up on it here , its made from yeast extract , a by product of beer brewing.

We like it , but most foreigners reckon it looks and tastes like axel grease.
Your only supposed to smear a bit of it on your toast or sandwich , but a lot of Yanks trying it the first time have spread it on thick like it was Peanut butter or Nutella and then almost throw up when they find out how bitter it tastes.

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You two should be tourist representatives for your areas!! Gangs, knives, guns...sounds great:)

Marmite is nicer, Vegemite tastes funny.

Im off for a pint.

Don't you drink pitchers in America? I did when I was last there.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
You two should be tourist representatives for your areas!! Gangs, knives, guns...sounds great:)

Marmite is nicer, Vegemite tastes funny.

Im off for a pint.

Don't you drink pitchers in America? I did when I was last there.

I think its pretty typical of all big cities these days Bully , but once you get away from the cities and go bush you find the pace of life a lot slower and the people generally a lot nicer.

You know when Vegemite first come out , it was called Parwill and its direct competition was Marmite.

So the ad campaign was " If Marmite.......then Parwill "
Just a bit of trivia for you.

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know mate, I liked it when I was in Oz. Didnt stay long enough but done the usual tourist thing, surfing at Noosa, dive the barrier reef, Whitsundays and that. Was on a whistlestop tour as was meeting my wife to be and her mates, I was traveling alone in NZ and popped over to see them.

If things continue to go downhill here, we may be heading your way for good:ultracool

Got 6 months to decide/find a job here then we are looking to emigrate.

We get more points for Perth though mate :-(

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actually, in the early UFC's Royce Gracie used one style successfully against larger opponents! ;) But I do see what you are saying. I still don't get why Wing Chun is not looked at for ground striking though. Just the basic punching alone works nearly like magic from on your back, side control, top control...wherever. In my Wing Chun Novice opinion, ChiSau comes into play here more than anyother spot. I know I have been hung to dry for the mear mention of using BJJ as a supplement to Wing Chun, but man, roll for five minutes with even light contact striking and it becomes strikingly evident!

A few posts ago, you mentioned some UFC guys talking about traditional martial arts. The majority of them came from these arts. Liddell trained under and has his black belt in Koei-Kan-Karate-Do (the same style I trained in and consider my base) before meeting and training with Hawaiin Kempo expert John Hackleman. Bisping trained Tae Kwon Do I believe as did David Louaso, Stephen Bonnar, and others. Sammy Barek claims Wing Chun lineage but says he uses little of it in the cage. Dan Hardy is a Shaolin Kung Fu stylist originally and even lived and trained at some Chinese Temple for a few months with the monks. Machida is Shotokan Karate as Im sure you know, Vitor Belfort has been training Shotokan for the last few years and you can see it in his movement and guard. The list goes on....but the common denominator is that many elements and techniques of ALL styles represented in MMA have been removed to suit the rules. Some styles have more than can be used, but know that even Karate and TKD (not to minimize them) have knee, downed opponent, eyeball, and throat strikes in the CQC techniques.

MMA is MIXED MARTIAL ARTS for a reason because NO STYLE alone fits the rule set. Gone are the first 5 UFC's where it was style vs style match-ups and no one pure style is presently dominating nor are they even represented anymore....and I do miss the style vs style match-ups dearly! It was topic for debate many of late nights as a kid growing up! :D

I know the point you're trying to make, but what we are saying is that many 'traditional arts' are much more geared up to the cage than others. Wing chun is a close quarter art working on the ability to freely mould from one shape to the other. The cage takes away this transitioning. Im sure there are ways you could use wing chun in the cage, but the point I always raise (and get shot down) is that you do need other arts to supplement it. Kevin Chan, who is proficient in numerous arts including BJJ still insists that he would use his wing chun in the street. Not because he cant box etc, but because he knows that wing chun is far more efficient at street level.

Certainly there are ways of using wing chun on the ground, but you do need a grappling art to help (ie get into a side mount and then use close quarter elbows etc). Chi sao is a drill/spar. You can use elements of it in fights, but you cant use the actual poon sao motions. What you take away from chi sao is the sticking elements, movement, flow, structure etc

You are right that Royce only used to use one art when he entered the cage (as well as several other fighters - I think Dan Severn only used wrestling?). Yet this was the beginning of UFC where rules were limited

There is actually footage of wing chun vs knockdown karate guys (some good, some bad) on youtube. I train knockdown karate, and know that in a streetfight, a lot of the guys would be limited in positions like a clinch or on the ground or very closeup. In an intermediate to long distance, they rule. Again, it is just what format the competition is in

At the end of the day, there are a lot of fighters who have used wing chun and/or know of it and its effectiveness

If you are American, you have people like Sifu Grados who isnt bad at all in relation to the cross training aspect of wing chun. In London you have people like Kevin Chan, Alan Orr and James Sinclair who are very open minded on these topics and whose wing chun is extremely good

My own testimony should be good enough for those MMA nutters who whinge about chunners not entering the cage. Ive done it. Ive done knockdowns. Ive done open competitions in relation to self defence and won gold. There is nothing you cant do if you put yoru mind to it. Its just that sometimes, trying to fit a square peg into a round hole doesnt work