William Cheung's Biu Jee

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just passing down what was told to me. :p What other reason could it be in your opinion?

My opinion... it doesn't matter... I just know it's effective as other forms of wing chun are. From sifu to sifu, all have placed there little touch on the art. I doubt we are learning wing chun as it was first derived. There has been many changes which is also why it's all pointless.

hunt1

Green Belt
Reaction score
He Probably is teaching a "pure" form of Leung Bik Wing Chun. Unfortunately for him, it isn't any better or worse than Chan Wa Shun's version.

No he is not teaching a pure form of Leung Bik Wing Chun. Lo Kwai kept a records of almost everything Leung Jan taught him. I have been taught by the family of Lo Kwai and have seen all of Lo Kwai's notes and records. Lo Kwai was Leung Jan's second for almost all of his challenge matches and was the Knife Man of the Leung Jan's kung fu family. What Leung Jan taught Leung Bik was not the forms William Cheung teaches. There are common elements but the forms are different.

My own opinion based on what I know is that Williams Cheungs wing chun was an adaptation to emphasize methods to deal with larger opponents at longer range.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
No he is not teaching a pure form of Leung Bik Wing Chun. Lo Kwai kept a records of almost everything Leung Jan taught him. I have been taught by the family of Lo Kwai and have seen all of Lo Kwai's notes and records. Lo Kwai was Leung Jan's second for almost all of his challenge matches and was the Knife Man of the Leung Jan's kung fu family. What Leung Jan taught Leung Bik was not the forms William Cheung teaches. There are common elements but the forms are different.

My own opinion based on what I know is that Williams Cheungs wing chun was an adaptation to emphasize methods to deal with larger opponents at longer range.

I'm not familiar with that name - is that one of the gu lao guys?

hunt1

Green Belt
Reaction score
Lo Kwai- Butcher Kwai is how he is most commonly known and referred to in the Foshan martial arts community. He was one of Leung Jan's first students. Other styles other than wing chun have stories about Kung Fu of the era that refer to him and his skill's.

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with that name - is that one of the gu lao guys?

I was able to find this on him:

"Not much is known about Lo Kwai. He operated a stand, in Foshan that sold Pork and other meats. His strength was such, that he could cut off a full grown pigs Head, with a single stroke of his cleaver. His pork selling stand, was in the same market corner, that Leung Jan’s Medical clinic was located, which is currently called Fei Jee Street or Cho Stick street. Lo Kwai was able to learn from and become a disciple to Famous Wing Chun Fighter, Leung Jan.

When the Nationalists left China, and went to Taiwan, Lo Kwai’s Family and student’s followed. They settled in Taiwan, and have passed down the Wing Chun system, within their family, for generations. The family doesn't teach the Wing chun system, publicly. They teach Bot Gwa and Hsing i to the public, while reserving the Wing Chun system for disciples and family members. "

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lo Kwai- Butcher Kwai is how he is most commonly known and referred to in the Foshan martial arts community. He was one of Leung Jan's first students. Other styles other than wing chun have stories about Kung Fu of the era that refer to him and his skill's.

I'd be really interested to see what that art looks like, but I'm sure if the family has held on to it this long, they're not interested in letting it out to the public.

Guess we'll never know.

hunt1

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'd be really interested to see what that art looks like, but I'm sure if the family has held on to it this long, they're not interested in letting it out to the public.

Guess we'll never know.

Well that's not true. No one teaches as a profession,that's true but that doesn't mean the Wing Chun isn't taught. My students are taught. I have had folks come from around the world to learn. They have been taught. One person made over 35 hours of recordings while he was here. A student of Danny Chao teaches a group in Canada, Stephan Chao teachers in Bahrain. A few others teach as well. Granted I am the only non Chinese teaching in the states and I do not promote myself. That is in keeping with tradition and the family desire to maintain the information and not let it fall into the splintering seen in other wing chun families.
Kwai family wing chun answers a lot of questions. Once you see the dummy and weapon forms especially.

However we don't argue or make any claims about original or best . The wing chun just is and some will put the time in and some just take out of it what they want and that's ok. That said I teach the way Chao Ng Kwai taught me. It was not the way he taught the rest of the family. This was due to my situation and also the fact that I don't speak any Chinese.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like what you said regarding it being down to the individuals interpretation.

oh come on, I know you're dying to say something.:whip1:

We've seen these type comments before. When you do have access to google, see what you can find.

Latest Discussions