New Lineage Question

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was in a similar situation:

-I trained for a few years under one sifu, and then moved schools to where I am now.
-I've now trained for many years under my current sifu and I can tell you that:

-if it's the same style, 95% of what you learned before will be somewhat transferable to your new teacher.

-you will be able to move through the curriculum faster because of your previous knowledge.

-eventually what you learned before will transform into what you are going to do now.

-I know it's hard, believe me, having to go backwards is frustrating, but give it time, work on only slt and ck for now, and within no time you'll start bj and myj. My personal advice is just do slt and ck, and the other forms will come soon.

Most of the Biu Jee I have seen in the Leung Sheung lineage is the same in terms of order, but the moves are done just a little different. As for the Mook Jong, there are 2-3 sections past what I learned as the END of the form in the Ip Ching lineage.

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know I'm biased but I think the Leung Sheung form makes for better training than other YM Lineage forms.

From what I can gather, later versions of the form don't repeat sides as much and the way a lot of them move around the dummy and use the moves (like the weird flinging arm-only bong sau in section 1 and doing kwan sau side-to-side like it's an arm conditioning exercise) doesn't make much sense to me. Although to be fair, section 9 of our form is pretty damn weird.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions