Reaction score
Okay so in most Yip Man lineages the order goes:

Sil Lim Tao
Chum Kiu
Biu Jee
Mook Yan Jong
Luk Dim Boon Gwun
Bat Jam Do

Is your school different in terms of form order?

ThatVTGuy

White Belt
Reaction score
Siu Lim Tau
Chum Kiu
Dummy basics and 1/2 MYJ
Biu Jee-2/2 MYJ
Weapons

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Sil Lim Tao
Chum Kiu
Biu Jee
Mook Yan Jong
Luk Dim Boon Gwun
Bat Jam Do

Pretty much the same. Tri-poles (aka gerk jongs) are sometimes reserved for later/after weapons...

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Baat Sik Dan Da
Sup Yee San Sau
Siu Lin Tau
Fei Ying Biu
Chum Kiu
Luk Dim Boon Kwan
Jung Kuen
Biu Jee
Yum Yang Dit Ming Do
Jook Jit Lin

OP
DanT

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I should add that I learned the Bat Jam Do right after I got chum kiu down nice for fun. Also we do the following supplementary forms:

San Jin
Dragon Punching
Hong Jong

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score

Sil Lim Tao
"advanced" SLT
Chum Kiu
Biu Jee
Mook Yan Jong
Luk Dim Boon Gwun
Bat Jam Do

Added the additional form. The added SLT is largely the "regular with some basic footwork added and some other movements that remind me of some mainland SLTs.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Added the additional form. The added SLT is largely the "regular with some basic footwork added and some other movements that remind me of some mainland SLTs.
-------------------------------------------------------
Not so in Ip Man's form with good reasons. Advanced slt is Cheung's work.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
-------------------------------------------------------
Not so in Ip Man's form with good reasons. Advanced slt is Cheung's work.

I am aware that it is exclusive to TWC, in terms of those who were students of YM. I should have added that fact however.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
We do SLT on one leg once the normal one is pretty good. Goal is for a student to do it for about 3 minutes each leg without falling over.
Sifu Dan SLT one leg.JPG
We do as well having to hold the leg over a stool.

gojusi

White Belt
Reaction score
I think my old club only had 3-4 forms. Si Lim Tao was the first, followed by a second which was "18 moves" (can't remember the Chinese name for it), followed by a 2-man-form. I never got to the 4th set. There was a 5th which was performed with a 9 ring broadsword, but I never did weapons training.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think my old club only had 3-4 forms. Si Lim Tao was the first, followed by a second which was "18 moves" (can't remember the Chinese name for it), followed by a 2-man-form. I never got to the 4th set. There was a 5th which was performed with a 9 ring broadsword, but I never did weapons training.

That's different. What lineage/branch of WC was that?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
View attachment 20374
We do as well having to hold the leg over a stool.

I hate single-leg SNT! I have fused ankles with no lateral movement possible--- and that lateral correction is the normal way you maintain static balance on one foot. With much practice at one time I could hold my balance about as well as my lower - intermediate level students. That was when I was much younger and fitter! Eventually I stopped beating myself up over it and focused on gaining functional, dynamic balance and let my Sr. students lead that one-legged form exercise!

Sometimes I will work it alone, holding my toe a few inches from the wall so I can steady myself with my foot touching the wall for a moment if need be, and having the wall close to provide a focus point really helps. That way, at least I can get the conditioning benefits ...but sadly, my static balance is what it is. :oops:

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
In addition to one legged SNT, I do the same thing throughout the CK form.
Our lineage has the back weighted stance, so throughout the CK form when I get to a different stance I raise up to one leg and hold it for several seconds. Going through the entire form like that is a good leg workout. Not to mention when you go back and practice the form in the the normal fashion right after, it has a nice flow to it and the stance is well balanced and very solid.

OP
DanT

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
How long does an average student spend on SLT? I spent 2 years on it before learning CK, but I've heard "horror" stories where a student will spend 5 years on SLT, even to the point where they are getting little correction because it's near perfect, before learning CK.

Latest Discussions