Order of Forms

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's been my experience that you can only get so good at SNT when your only point of reference is SNT. When the student then adds CK to the equation, their SNT will improve further. Same for CK. It can only go so far before it needs a boost from Biu Tse.....and on and on.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's been my experience that you can only get so good at SNT when your only point of reference is SNT. When the student then adds CK to the equation, their SNT will improve further. Same for CK. It can only go so far before it needs a boost from Biu Tse.....and on and on.

Yeah, sometimes you have to see a bit more of the "lbigger picture" to understand the basics better. Advancing through the material too slowly is just as problematic as advancing to quickly.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
How long does an average student spend on SLT.
SNT? Are you asking about the form or learning what is developed with the study of SNT?
The form itself doesn't take long to learn. What one develops within the attribute development from the study and practicing of the drills from SNT... approx 2 years. This of course entails a lot of drills, punching, kicking, kneeing, elbowing, footwork, balance, leg strengthening, tempering, developing and understand the fundamentals of the WC system.

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I learned the empty hand forms in that order (SLT CK BJ).

The dummy is introduced early on, and you have probably learned the majority of the sets before you start Bil Jee.

Weapons are taught in a seminar format outside the normal class structure, but the seminars are open to students of any level.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

I absolutely agree! The system should be seen as circular, not linear.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, yes, yes.
All parts interrelate but jumping ahead within the learning can be detrimental to one's understanding and skills.

I used to go to my first Sifu and ask him, "How can I do this better in Chum Kiu? The dummy form? Biu Jee?"

His answer: "Don't think about improving specific sections of specific forms. Just think about improving your Wing Chun."

OP
DanT

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So at my club, for the typical student, the progression is as follows:

Year 1: SLT
Years 2-3: CK
Years 4: BJ
Year 5-6: MYJ, LDBK
Year 7: BJD

For me tho, I learned BJD after CK at a seminar.

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Okay so in most Yip Man lineages the order goes:

Sil Lim Tao
Chum Kiu
Biu Jee
Mook Yan Jong
Luk Dim Boon Gwun
Bat Jam Do

Is your school different in terms of form order?
Yes but I will go into a little more detail.
Sil Lim Tao first for sure along with single hand chi sau inside, then outside single hand chi sau, along with learning the punch on the wall bag, lop sau and some very simple dummy drills and line drills
Chum Kiu and pak sau and begin the mook jong, two hand chi sau, and some Luk Dim drills
After a student learns the entire mook jong then we teach them Bui Jee
After the student is very proficient with the first 4 along with the wall bag, lop and pak sau they learn the Luk Dim Boon Gwun
Finally the Bat Jam Do is learned last

So the biggest difference is flipping Bui Jee with Mook Yan.

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
We do SLT on one leg once the normal one is pretty good. Goal is for a student to do it for about 3 minutes each leg without falling over.
We do this with one foot lightly touching a wall.

Latest Discussions