New Lineage Question

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would just treat them as separate arts, for now. I have a student who has a background in Shotokan Karate. He sometimes does his Shotokan kata as part of his warm-up, instead of the ones I teach. I don't think it does any harm. There may be more of an issue in your case, since they may be more closely connected, but I don't think practicing can do any real harm before you learn the new version.

They are more or less the same moves. However, the Leung Sheung lineage tends to do more "small circle" moves, AKA...smaller moves. LOL

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
FYI, They do have free standing ones that take up about as much space as a free standing heavy bag. When I get the time, and money, I was going to make one actually. It won't be "traditional" because the body will be PVC (not schedule 40, I have a hook up that can get me the stuff they use for underground sewer lines.) The money will come in on the arms. There are directions on the web for making one with PVC arms but I want "real" arms and will be buying them.

I have one that is in progress as well. Maybe I will post myself doing the form in the Members in Motion section.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree. But I have found that a great many of both the JKD drills and TWC drills can be practiced directly on the dummy. This is very helpful when you don't have any other partner around!

Yes. My plan was to do five 3-minute rounds of just improvised play on the dummy. I would treat it kind of like shadow boxing, but with a dummy instead of empty air. It would be a great way to gauge my entry skills, to tell if I am stepping in close enough to land techniques properly.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree. But I have found that a great many of both the JKD drills and TWC drills can be practiced directly on the dummy. This is very helpful when you don't have any other partner around!
Personally I prefer a heavy bag. Once you understand the dummy the heavy bag puts things in a much more realistic and dynamic perspective, IMO. I prefer solo practice with a moving target as compared to a static one, but then again I have weird ideas concerning Wing Chun, so take what I say with a grain of salt :)

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally I prefer a heavy bag. Once you understand the dummy the heavy bag puts things in a much more realistic and dynamic perspective, IMO. I prefer solo practice with a moving target as compared to a static one, but then again I have weird ideas concerning Wing Chun, so take what I say with a grain of salt :)
Not to weird, or maybe I am weird too because I have an attachment of the "arms" of Mook Jong en route finally for my heavybag as a stop gap. :)

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

Heavy bag is nice, and I do that too when I can. But the dummy has arms. So you can practice entries and trapping on the dummy that you can't do on a heavy bag. And I actually don't have a place to hang a heavy bag at my house. I have B.O.B. as my other training partner. Me, dummy, and B.O.B. We're quite a trio! :p

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Heavy bag is nice, and I do that too when I can. But the dummy has arms. So you can practice entries and trapping on the dummy that you can't do on a heavy bag. And I actually don't have a place to hang a heavy bag at my house. I have B.O.B. as my other training partner. Me, dummy, and B.O.B. We're quite a trio! :p

Heavy bags have no arms?

WING CHUN ATTACHMATE
:p

And while it's in the basement I have room for one of those "free stands" for a heavy bag (I swap my homemade tire dummy [weapon work] and heavy bag back and forth, had to Jury rig a system to do it too since I have a 100lbs heavy bag and I am a skinny SOB lol.)

I am thinking the arms will make for good dynamic drilling.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Joy,

How is it you can disagree on the fact that I prefer a heavy bag over the dummy? You know nothing about how I utilize my branch of Wing Chun. To presume I have the same inclinations about the art (in general), let alone my branch, as you is quite presumptuous.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Joy,

How is it you can disagree on the fact that I prefer a heavy bag over the dummy? You know nothing about how I utilize my branch of Wing Chun. To presume I have the same inclinations about the art (in general), let alone my branch, as you is quite presumptuous.

Joy can correct me if I am wrong but they serve two different purposes. I will still train on a dummy and get one for a specific reason...Even if wall mounted the dummy is more resistant, it thus tests and thus trains my structure more strictly. In doing so when I face something more "flexible" I will be stronger. Just my take.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Joy,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wait a minute I don't question your right to use a heavy bag. Have used them myself, But a bag and a jong conventional usage involves different body mechanics. Conventional is the key word.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wait a minute I don't question your right to use a heavy bag. Have used them myself, But a bag and a jong conventional usage involves different body mechanics. Conventional is the key word.
I never stated that they had the same use. I stated I prefer the heavy bag, because it's not a static target. I personally get more out of it than I do the dummy, which I feel can be counter productive to actual two man work & sparring. That's all, my belief, not applicable to how others may perceive it.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I never stated that they had the same use. I stated I prefer the heavy bag, because it's not a static target. I personally get more out of it than I do the dummy, which I feel can be counter productive to actual two man work & sparring. That's all, my belief, not applicable to how others may perceive it.
===============================
no problem with differences in pov-s

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
He told you to practice on the dummy. So do it. Why do you need to overthink this, and second guess his instruction?

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
He told you to practice on the dummy. So do it. Why do you need to overthink this, and second guess his instruction?

I guess some of us don't understand the idea of how one can develop certain habits, which may be all right for one lineage but then considered "bad" habits in another. It's all good though.

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I guess some of us don't understand the idea of how one can develop certain habits, which may be all right for one lineage but then considered "bad" habits in another. It's all good though.

I guess others of us don't understand, that it might be reasonable to assume that if you are going to an instructor more knowledgeable than you, that if you understand the thing about those habits, then he probably understands that too, and factored it into his instructions to you.

If you have more insight into WC and training than he, why study with him?

And why ask us internet randoms about it rather than ask him?

Like you say, it's all good though.

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Got my answer by the way. Sifu said to practice whatever I like. The epiphany is easily seeing and proving the structural worth of the way you do the forms. Then, in what I think is the most important part of the response, he said, "Your level is determined by understanding and application."
Just curious how much they differ from one lineage to another?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Got my answer by the way. Sifu said to practice whatever I like. The epiphany is easily seeing and proving the structural worth of the way you do the forms. Then, in what I think is the most important part of the response, he said, "Your level is determined by understanding and application."

Interesting thing is, I know your Shifu and after I read the first post I thought, he won't care, practice what you want :)

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was in a similar situation:

-I trained for a few years under one sifu, and then moved schools to where I am now.
-I've now trained for many years under my current sifu and I can tell you that:

-if it's the same style, 95% of what you learned before will be somewhat transferable to your new teacher.

-you will be able to move through the curriculum faster because of your previous knowledge.

-eventually what you learned before will transform into what you are going to do now.

-I know it's hard, believe me, having to go backwards is frustrating, but give it time, work on only slt and ck for now, and within no time you'll start bj and myj. My personal advice is just do slt and ck, and the other forms will come soon.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a personality trait (more specifically, a behavioral trait). Some folks like to do their analysis and get support for their decisions - it's what works for their brain. Others of us do less of that, and that's what works for our brains.

Latest Discussions