Will your ego let you.....

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've done it. Earned my black belt in Kenpo, then began training in capoeira. Put on the white belt for a long time.

tsdclaflin

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kacey said:
If I started a new art, I would begin at white belt. I would discuss my previous experience with the instructor as a courtesy; as an instructor myself, it helps me to know what experience and information my students already have.

Exactly.

The belt that I wear would depend upon the new instructor.

In the case of a similar art (another Korean striking art, for example), rank advancement may be accelerated. I know that if a TKD student came to my Tang Soo Do school, I would "fill-in" the blanks of his techniques and advance him/her as soon as he/she mastered the curriculum. I would also invite him/her to continue wearing their black belt.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, I would wear a white belt or sash or no belt to learn a new art. Actually I would welcome a new art/school/instructor in our town.

You know this is a question like "singing to the choir". The martial artists on this board obviously want to learn, not get rank without learning and earning it. Its the difference between real and fake, I think. When a person stops learning or apparently isn't interested in new technique etc. to sit on his laurels (ego/rank), I would start questioning everything about his ability as a teacher. The best teachers/instructors always want to learn, investigate, try new ways and are open-minded about new ideas. In addition the best black belt students are humble too and would have no trouble putting on a white belt. I wore my green belt in honor of St. Patricks day. I got a frown for that from my instructor. oh well! TW

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
start over as a white belt? If you were taking a different art than you have high rank in (1st Dan or above) could you start over at the beginning? Even if it was similar art than the one you took. (eg. You're a TKD BB & started Hapkido)

I wouldn't mind as long as the arts were sufficiently dissimilar. Moot issue otherwise. No point in taking essentially the same thing over from the beginning.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:
question:

i'm thinking of doing another art (probably tkd or bjj), starting as a white belt and moving through the system.

i started training in aikido some time ago. stayed about six months. while enrolling, i mentioned my previous training (3rd dan in my primary, etc...) and was suddenly on the business end of all manner of special treatment. i'm sure they were just being polite (and not significantly different from how i treat experienced practitioners who walk in my door).

this time, i'd like to not be treated differently, but i feel a little hinky about outright lying to my new instructor and fellow students.

any thoughts?

Tell the instructor of your previous experiences- so that he/ she knows where you've been. Experience does help in ways when you move to something else. Also explain that you have no intention of moving faster than normal (as an example). Your wishes will be respected, and there are times when they wouldn't start you off at where you left off- because of being too different, etc.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh- and for my answer for the original question:

Yes- I'd be more than happy to start over at white belt, and I have.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Marginal said:
I wouldn't mind as long as the arts were sufficiently dissimilar. Moot issue otherwise. No point in taking essentially the same thing over from the beginning.

I agree. See my sig. I am a white belt in Jujitsu. No problem there. If its a similar style, I see no point (TKD to TKD). Why start over? Specially if the forms are the same, and the basics are the same.

I started over at white belt coming from TSD to TKD, but they realized that the techs were similar and quicky advanced me to my previous rank (eventhough the forms were different).

But then again, I promply put on that good ol' white belt for jujitsu. I still wear it to this day because of the grading system ... we have to be white belt for two years, at least, because we have only three belt colors. White, green, brown ... then black. Brown is like 3 to 4 years, if I remember what my instructor said correctly. Maybe three. All I remember is him saying that white is the shortest and brown is the longest LOL.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've started over with Kenpo three times (trained at five different studios) over the past several years. Even though it is the same style, I don't have a problem starting over at white since there is always something new I will learn and it is also a test of patience and perseverance. Drilling with the basics and fundamentals are always good! With the current studio and my lifestyle, I am now rooted, so will eventually reach my black belt and beyond.

I also took up Judo two years ago as a white belt for a couple of months. Last year I started Dan Zan Ryu JuJitsu; I'm still a white belt.

- Ceicei

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would have no qualms whatsoever starting out as a white belt again.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Shadow Wing said:
I see no other honorable way. Rank in one system means exactly what in another? (NOTHING)

I disagree. A high rank in a specific art, to me, should indicate an ability to train hard, a well conditioned body, an ability to defend ones self, and other things which are (or should be) universal to most martial arts. If I had earned a high rank in one art, and was asked to start at white at another similar art, I would be offended. It amounts to the new trainer saying "I don't respect you, your previous training, or your experiences and abilities".

Ideally, new students should be graded and awarded rank during their first week. If a new instructor has a policy of all students starting as white belts, or takes the time out to talk with you, or assess you, it's a different matter.

The conversation might run something like this:

"So, have you trained in any previous styles?"

"Yeah, I have a second dan black belt in TKD and I box"

A good instructor would (IMO) say:

"Okay, well lets see how you go, and what rank you should have"

A poor instructor would say:

"Well, you'll have to start as a white belt anyway"

Having said that, I think belts and ranks are needlessly artificial, and as such would have no problem offering to start as a white belt. Only my training is important, not the colour of my belt.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Just my few cents here? We always being taught when you start a new school(unless same style art/system). You should start as a white belt/ ..unless the Sensi decides other wise.

There are NO RULES here.....after all you are learning new ways from a new teacher!

Never tell your new teacher? ...this is how we did/do it? ..because he will tell you to leave? Every Sensi believe's in what they are sharing with you! ..except the new ways or LEAVE!

New teacher...means learning new/other ways to do things! Open the mind and eyes......you may not see the benefits right away? ....Aloha

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I hear what you are saying, and you're absolutely right. However, I will admit to feeling that I couldn't wear a white belt again. I tried it for a while, thinking it would be cool to start over again. After a while, I felt, I guess, foolish, to be one again. I felt looked down upon. A feeling that I felt in the beginning, and forgotten about.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
I hear what you are saying, and you're absolutely right. However, I will admit to feeling that I couldn't wear a white belt again. I tried it for a while, thinking it would be cool to start over again. After a while, I felt, I guess, foolish, to be one again. I felt looked down upon. A feeling that I felt in the beginning, and forgotten about.

Thanks for helping me feel like I'm not alone in my feeling about it. I suppose I'll just have to try it to get over it (or past it as the case may be). MSUTKD had a good point about "being the student I always wanted to have." Maybe that's the key. For the record, I never said I couldn't or wouldn't do it. I just said I thought it would be hard.:)

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
The white belt is a symbol that your are starting something new. If you were to start something and not going to were a white belt, you should go find a school that will stroke your ego. And when attend a demo or seminar, you should also were your white belt. Again you don't have rank in that style.

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
start over as a white belt? If you were taking a different art than you have high rank in (1st Dan or above) could you start over at the beginning? Even if it was similar art than the one you took. (eg. You're a TKD BB & started Hapkido)

I ask because I watched a gentlemen in his 60's join the Okinawan style Karate I help teach as a white belt. He admitted he'd trained before (it was obvious!) but he wouldn't say where or what. 10 weeks later, we find out he's a BB under a great master. He insists on being a white belt. I'm pretty sure I would have a real struggle putting on a white belt again. I've trained in places that don't have belts & loved it. But I don't think I could do it easily. Anyone feel the same way?

I wouldn't have a problem with it.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Done it twice...no big deal actually. All I'm gonna say is it definatly takes a little work to swallow your pride if your old art contridicts the new.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No offense, but this REALLY shouldn't be a big deal. If it is a person might want to re-evaluate what they're doing and why. My two cents...

TChase

Green Belt
Reaction score
I started over in a different system twice and both times I offered to start as a white belt. Both times the instructor insisted I wear my current rank so I did. I never really put much stock into what rank I was wearing so it really doesn't bother me either way. If a person came to me from another art I would have no problem letting them wear their previous rank but they'd be wearing it for quite awhile.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's one way to do it...you can keep your curent rank but you can't advance to the next one until you know all that someone from our school need to know to get to that rna, and it could be awhile to learn it all :)

I had no problem starting over at white belt when starting BJJ ater doing TKD awhile. A different system and I had to learn the basics. I would feel a little silly going to a school that taught WTF-style Taekwondo and starting at white. Not from prode but from pragmatic training hat I feel it would not be very valuable to spend all my time doing white-belt drills

Latest Discussions