Will your ego let you.....

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
start over as a white belt? If you were taking a different art than you have high rank in (1st Dan or above) could you start over at the beginning? Even if it was similar art than the one you took. (eg. You're a TKD BB & started Hapkido)

I ask because I watched a gentlemen in his 60's join the Okinawan style Karate I help teach as a white belt. He admitted he'd trained before (it was obvious!) but he wouldn't say where or what. 10 weeks later, we find out he's a BB under a great master. He insists on being a white belt. I'm pretty sure I would have a real struggle putting on a white belt again. I've trained in places that don't have belts & loved it. But I don't think I could do it easily. Anyone feel the same way?

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I am a 5th Dan in Taekwondo, chief instructor and director for a university martial arts program. I just got back into kendo and have been practicing now for two and a half years. I just got my 1st kyu about three weeks ago. It has been a great experience starting over again. I get to be the student I always wanted my students to be. It has shown me how much you can do if you pay attention. There is a 16 year old shodan in my kendo club that can “kill me” in a kendo match. That feels great to be “schooled” by him. I still have lots to learn and hope I never stop learning.

ron

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've done it thrice...was a 3rd gup in TKD and started over as a whitebelt six years later. And started both Judo and Jujutsu as white belts as well...

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a 2nd Gup in Taekwondo but just started as a beginner in BJJ. Since the arts are so different there's not much of a tendancy to worry about it.

I was be starting over at a new school for Taekwondo (soon to move). Since I'm not a black belt yet, I don't really care what gup rank they want to put me at when I start at a new school. The instructor(s) can put me wherever he thinks I should be in his school. The only thing I would ask is that if I loose belts in the process, that I be trained based on my proficiency ratherthan just my belt. This is not from pride, just practicality. If the new school wants me to wear a whit ebelt because I haven't earned anyting in their school, I can do that. I just don't want to spend hours drilling Il-Jang and other 'intro' types of exercises that will keep me from moving forward in my own proficiancy

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Of course, it demonstrates respect for the art and for the practitioners in the school as well. Besides if you have practiced before, much less if you are a bb and can not be so humble as to wear a white belt again when starting a different style, then you prob have learned very little.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To start a new art and learning experience is exciting for me and I love the idea of going somewhere that I can be strictly a student. Not a problem here!

Dusty

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i took some advice from my instructor and always carry a white belt in my gym bag. my instrcutro (rudy Timmerman) is a 9th dahn in hapkido plus numerous other high ranks but he always keeps a white belt with him. as do i. i am a 5th dahn in tkd, but always a student ready to learn.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
start over as a white belt? If you were taking a different art than you have high rank in (1st Dan or above) could you start over at the beginning? Even if it was similar art than the one you took. (eg. You're a TKD BB & started Hapkido)

I ask because I watched a gentlemen in his 60's join the Okinawan style Karate I help teach as a white belt. He admitted he'd trained before (it was obvious!) but he wouldn't say where or what. 10 weeks later, we find out he's a BB under a great master. He insists on being a white belt. I'm pretty sure I would have a real struggle putting on a white belt again. I've trained in places that don't have belts & loved it. But I don't think I could do it easily. Anyone feel the same way?

I have done it from One FMA to the Second. Although the Second has no ranks, I opened my mind and started from the beginning.

When I visit another club to work out I wear no belt or white belt, unless I am invited as a guest then I show up as desired by the Instructor who asked me.

Some do it naturally, while others find it harder than they might think.

The issue is just to recognize it.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My previous rank has no bearing on my new endevours, if I started Akido I wouls start fro the beginning just like everybody else, not a problem with me.
Terry

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
question:

i'm thinking of doing another art (probably tkd or bjj), starting as a white belt and moving through the system.

i started training in aikido some time ago. stayed about six months. while enrolling, i mentioned my previous training (3rd dan in my primary, etc...) and was suddenly on the business end of all manner of special treatment. i'm sure they were just being polite (and not significantly different from how i treat experienced practitioners who walk in my door).

this time, i'd like to not be treated differently, but i feel a little hinky about outright lying to my new instructor and fellow students.

any thoughts?

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
I dont care what color my belt is. No wait, I want a pink belt, muaahaahaa!!
Be careful what you ask for. Bob has a special pink belt he can apply to anyone here on MT.:uhyeah: I've seen him use it before.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The last time I joined another school to really study their at and learn their system i put on the white belt ( much to the instructors dismay). He knew me and what my rank was and finaly had his instructor ( the GM) speak to me ( we had known each other about 20 years) and I put on a black belt but with no stripes. I never felt right about wearing another systems uniform and my belt. If I did not earn the rank and I felt that I could not answere the questions of other students and/or people comeing through the door, I shoul not wear the BB.

mystic warrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:

The thing of it is, is it is just a belt.
The training is more important. But it seems we have lost that train of thought these days

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not Dan rank yet (will be in another month if all goes well), but am starting BJJ next week. I have nooo problem wearing white. It's a nice clean slate.

Jeff

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I started a new art, I would begin at white belt. I would discuss my previous experience with the instructor as a courtesy; as an instructor myself, it helps me to know what experience and information my students already have.

Shadow Wing

White Belt
Reaction score
I see no other honorable way. Rank in one system means exactly what in another? (NOTHING)

Besides, if I go to study with somebody else, he wants to teach me, not listen to what I have done, or how we did it in some other school. I just shut up and listen. If I do my work right, and they are perceptive, then they will understand where I am at. But even that is not what it's all about. If I am there to learn, then I'm there to learn, and not to impress anyone. Nor am I to stay where I am at or rest on my laurels. I want to learn and grow.

So, yeah, the white belt is good enough for me. Pride has never helped me with anything at all in life.

Latest Discussions