Will you say something that you can't prove it?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Will you say something that you can't prove it? What if someone doesn't believe in what you have said?

Here is an example.

A: I have seen someone did ...
B: I don't believe what you have said.
A: $#%@*&^.
B: &^%$#@.

Your thought?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure. We all do. They're called opinions and everybody has them.
I think the key is to differentiate between opinions and facts.
And to accept that some people won't believe facts, either, no matter how much proof is provided. Let them wallow in their ignorance.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I say things I can't prove all the time. At least, things I can't prove to any of you. For instance, I'm a first degree black belt in shaolin kempo, I can't prove that to you. I could take a picture of the belt, but I could have just bought it online. I could take a picture of the certificate, but I could have forged that. I could take a video of one of my old senseis acknowledging my rank, but then I have to prove A: he is who he says he is, B: he's not lying to you for money, or C: I didn't trick him somehow. I'm sure for each attempt at one of those, I'd have something else to prove it's valid.

Luckily, I don't care if I can prove it or not. It's your choice to make a judgment call on if you believe me. If you do, great. If not, I can try to convince you, or ignore you. No cursing you out needed.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Side note, I considered using an art that I most definitely do NOT have experience in, just to 'prove' my point

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will you say something that you can't prove it? What if someone doesn't believe in what you have said?

Here is an example.

Your thought?
In that example, it's a statement of observed fact, but not provable. Yes, I'll provide what insight I can, even if it's not something I can prove (with video or other witnesses). I would hope the recipient of that information would be properly skeptical of it.

D

Deleted member 39746

Am i the only one who found this slightly amusing when a lot of proof for martial arts is anecdotal? :p

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is where we get into the post modernist conundrum of MY TRUTH vs THE TRUTH. There is an infinite number of ways to interpret any event or truth.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Here is an example.

Your thought?
Nobody can prove anything, outside of mathematics. (Proof is a purely mathematical term).

What we can do is examine what evidence is available to us, and use that to arrive at a working conclusion which may or may not be strictly true.

So yes, everyone says things that are not 'provable' every time they open their mouths to speak something that isn't hard math

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nobody can prove anything, outside of mathematics. (Proof is a purely mathematical term).

What we can do is examine what evidence is available to us, and use that to arrive at a working conclusion which may or may not be strictly true.

So yes, everyone says things that are not 'provable' every time they open their mouths to speak something that isn't hard math

Can you prove that only hard math is provable?

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or if your a cnc guy who is running a 3D printer who also happens to be an alcoholic....then you need to make sure your program is proven, before making your printer proof of concept,,, but not before taking a sip of that 80 proof whiskey.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sure. We all do. They're called opinions and everybody has them.
I think the key is to differentiate between opinions and facts.
And to accept that some people won't believe facts, either, no matter how much proof is provided. Let them wallow in their ignorance.
I had to remind myself of this very point with some recent posts.