Wilderness Survival: Mining & Forging

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know what, no, I'm not. What I am, though, is someone who doesn't treat with completely nonsensical ideas as if they're reality or realistic. And frankly, that's a far better approach, especially in some of the areas we deal with here, than offering completely unthought out, uninformed, dangerous advice based on the idea that everyone should just have fun and do whatever the hell they want.

Find the last post you wrote that supported a person in anything.

I seriously cannot think of one.

Telling people they will fail is easy.

Helping people succeed is the real challenge.

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score

i have to agree with Chris here, he is a man of facts and well thought out informative posts. even if they do come off harsh they are fact and truth.

his first post is very supportive as well as fact based and truth.

Training in Japan

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
"the farther one travels the less one knows" -George Harrison-

the problem as i see it, is a matter of time. anyone can learn anything given enough time.
if we take an average. a human being has about 50 years (rounding for the sake of argument) of good productivity. the early years are taken by growing up and the last years are a decline in health. so a human has about 50 years to accomplish this task.
now what the OP is proposing is that he wants to take the human evolution of 200,000 years and the brain work and experience of trillions of people (based on scientific estimates and putting aside creationism and the fact that Homo sapiens would have received knowledge passed from the previous Homo erectus, Neanderthal, cromagnon and clovis ) and compress that into his short 50 years of life.

now this quest would have to start with stone tools. early problems arise in that you cant jump to the absolute end of the problem. before you can create steel you will have to first create tin, lead, copper than bronze. before that you will need bone tools, leather and rope. you will need to kill deer and moose for sinew string and leather for a bellows for the smelting furnace and forge. to get that you will need to make a bow and arrow so you will need a bow string made from animal sinew so to start you will need to kill a deer or two with that rock. then maybe after you made some sinew string you can connect that rock to a stick to make a stone hatchet. you will probably need to cut down a few hundred trees with that for the smelting furnace heat. you will need a particular type of grass for the carbon to go into the metal which means you will need to farm for it. so of course you will need a horse (good luck finding a wild horse and taming it) oh and im not sure how or where you will get the seeds for your carbon producing grass. you will also need to mine for limestone used as a flux to separate the ore from the prime metal. also needed is metallic arsenic,,,,as i think about it you might want to start with a school degree in metallurgy, how else are you going to recognize Realgar from malachite from galena from useless rocks and the principals of cupellation.which brings me back to that deer,, you will need the deer antlers to make cupels.
( i hope your writing all this down....)
well for now go kill that deer with that rock, make some sinew string, make an ax with that stone , cut down a mature full growth hard wood tree and get back to me when thats done.....

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And in the meantime, ya gotta eat and get in out of the rain, and stay healthy.

And all that takes considerable time and effort, especially for one person living alone in the wilderness. Good luck finding time and energy for the other pursuits.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the delusional part showed up when you decided a martial art forum would be more informational than Google or Wikipedia.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not "delusional"
You wanted to "keep digging straight down until I get past the Earth's crust"

The Earth's Continental crust is typically 20 to 30 miles thick.

The worlds current deepest mining operation at Tau Tona is 2.4 miles deep.

You are the very dictionary definition of delusional: "having false or unrealistic beliefs or opinions"

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
i have to agree with Chris here, he is a man of facts and well thought out informative posts. even if they do come off harsh they are fact and truth.

his first post is very supportive as well as fact based and truth.

Training in Japan
The post in which the op asked if he could do something and Chris killed his dreams.

Nope thats classic Chris

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

The problem here is that you think "helping someone" is giving them what they want, regardless of how ill-advised, or how ill-informed the request is. As a result, you see an attempt to give information that brings someone closer to the reality (where they can actually start to get to what they think they want) as being "unhelpful". That, frankly, is down to your own desperate lack of knowledge, awareness, insight, and understanding of many, many topics.

Frankly, you don't even know what the topics are, let alone how to advise in their areas, yet you feel your opinion is valid. It's not. And it's the same here. But for the record, I don't tend to tell people "they will fail" (you're reading your own issues into things there), I point out the issues with their incorrect beliefs and expectations… which is a bit different.

Really, the difference between yourself and myself is if someone came on, and said they wanted to climb on top of a building and jump, because they wanted to fly, and I pointed out that they'd need a hang-glider, or better yet, a plane… and they'd need some training in order to fly either themselves… you'd say "oh, don't be mean, the guy can jump if he wants, who are you to stop him flying?".

Latest Discussions