Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Renegade Forge Knives
By Mike Brewer - 08-12-2008 09:43 PM
Originally Posted at: Deluxe Forums

====================

Hey Everyone,

Recently, Tant01 commissioned a knife from my father, who is a custom knifemaker. He makes a spectacular proprietary steel that begins with marine grade carbon steel cable. He hammers and forge-welds it into a solid billet with 272 strands of steel becoming a solid block after much pounding and fluxing.

He then folds the billet, overlapping layer upon layer like traditional damascus. Then, he packs the edge of the blade and selectively heat-treats the steel so that the back edge stays relatively soft and flexible and the edge of the blade comes up to anywhere from about 57-60 Rockwell.

The effect is amazing. The steel's layers and strands make for an edge that's very nearly the same sort of steel as the original Viking "watered steel" or Japanese sword steel would have been. The blade is capable of taking an extremely sharp edge and holding it a lot better than traditional carbon or stainless steels.

Point is:

My father has approximately 6 blades that are already complete - finished with handmade, custom handles and fittings - that he just removed from an art gallery due to a falling out with the owner. The owner decided not to sell the knives so that he could try to make an offer on them himself, and so my Dad yanked them off the shelves. What's more, he wants to sell them at a discount to anybody but that gallery owner.

If anyone here is interested, please PM me. In a few days, I'm going to see about getting some pictures to post, and some descriptions from him as to what you're looking at. In the mean time, I'd just like to get a feel for who'd like to see them in the first place.

P.S.
Some of the current owners of my Dad's blades (who've expressed extreme satisfaction with them) are Guro Dan Inosanto - who bought four or five of them, Paula Inosanto - who owns one of the coolest daggers my Dad ever made - Yuri Nakamura, Paul Vunak, and a bunch of other folks. These are knives that will last for generations, and are not for people who want something to hang on the wall and never use.

Read More...

------------------------------------
Defend.net Post Bot - FMA Feed

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The prices on those are out of my range but I would love to get my hands on one. They sound like they would be beautiful and deadly

Latest Discussions