Why would a martial artist in their prime need a gun?

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Somebody once posted here that they know of martial artists in their prime who choose to use and carry guns. Im not saying Im against that but I would like to hear, or in this case read, about why a martial artist in their prime would need a gun. I am very open minded to good reasons and as I said, I am not particularly against this, I just like to know good reasons why.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Because we are tool using primates that understand the value of force multipliers.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A firearm is also a martial arts weapon. Learn to use it with the same energy you would learn to use any other weapon. It's hubris to think that training means you no longer need weapons.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Because, contrary to popular belief, MAist does not = Batman. No jumping around dodging bullets for me :/

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Somebody once posted here that they know of martial artists in their prime who choose to use and carry guns. Im not saying Im against that but I would like to hear, or in this case read, about why a martial artist in their prime would need a gun. I am very open minded to good reasons and as I said, I am not particularly against this, I just like to know good reasons why.
GM Richard 'Huk' Planas, (KENPO) told me, when I asked why he was a shooter, that Martial Arts is for when you are out of ammunition. :)

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A firearm is also a martial arts weapon.
QFT
AMEN!
Martial = Military. Martial arts weapons include swords, sticks, etc because in the past people fought with those weapons. Just because a weapon is modern, doesn't mean it has no martial arts application.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because plenty of bad folks out there have guns or knives.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because plenty of bad folks out there have guns or knives.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I can't punch someone from 25feet away...

One of the other black belts at my school is a 4'9" cute little blonde, her techniques and forms are sharper than mine, but, as I am a 5'11" 280 guy... Yeah, she can't beat me in an unarmed fight, in a gun fight... she might

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the old saying "Smith and Wesson beats four of a kind"

Guess if the person is well trained, they also know when to use MA or when to draw. I don't carry or ever intend to carry, but as Blindside said, it's a force multiplier. And in the right situation, very effective.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Why did "kung fu masters" need swords, stages, chain whips, etc?

Why did the Samurai adapt firearms?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Kurai

Green Belt
Reaction score
Few years back, someone walked into an IHOP in the city that I work and live. He killed 4 people and wounded 7 others before killing himself.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An undisciplined punk who has never lifted a weight in his life, and spent most of his time playing video games (that he stole, both the games and the consoles), will have a huge advantage over someone with multiple black belts in combat, provided that the combat starts 25 feet away, and the former has a firearm while the latter does not.

When you defend yourself, you want to use the best tool at your access. Even the most out of shape bad guy can land a lucky shot / slice / stab / blow, so it makes perfect sense to deny your opponent the opportunity to take those lucky shots / strikes.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ChikChik-Pow beats most any other martial art, nearly every time.

In other words, it's foolish to bring a knife to a gunfight. It's even more foolish to bring nothing but your hands and feet to a gunfight.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you ain't Remo Williams, you may need a gun...
FYI, that movie is so friggin bad, 20 minutes after seeing it in the theater, the only things I could remember was, he dodged bullets and ran across sand with no footprints. That movie is crap. First one I ever paid to see... I was 9, I was robbed.

Last edited by a moderator:

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score

Well, if the other guy has a gun...

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Top ten reasons why a Martial Artist in their prime might need a gun -

10. Because it ain't easy throwing a rock at 1500 feet per second.

9. Because you can get much father with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.

8. Because I'm too young to die, too old to take a butt whoopin' and if I leave it at home I might forget where I put it.

7. Because he can't shoot bullets with a fist full of fingers.

6. Because it wasn't raining when Noah built the ark.

5. You can't always control who walks into your life but you sure as hell can control which window you make them jump out of.

4. Cogito, ergo sum armatus: I think, therefore I am armed.

3. Because a cannon is just too damn big to carry.

2. Because the door you just broke through was locked for YOUR protection, not mine.

And the number one reason why a Martial Artist in their prime might need a gun..

1. In case of the zombie apocalypse.

wolfeyes2323

Green Belt
Reaction score
There are greater issues for all humans than that ofpersonal protection in a civil society,
The Gun is necessary to defend not only life but our liberty. During the Boxer rebellion,
the practitioners of Chinese Martial Arts (the BOXERS) , were shot down like dogs when
they tried to rebel against foreign Imperialism and Europeancultural influences.
Every citizen of every country should have the right to beararms and protect their
Life and liberty against oppressive government, and foreigntyranny .

Latest Discussions