Why People Don't Post Here...

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the past I've occasionally seen threads on the topic of why people like to post on MATalk and on this WC Forum in particular. But, one thing that interests me is why so many more people don't like to post here. If it was because they were too busy practicing or with meeting life's many obligations, that would be fine. Or if they simply weren't the type who like to express themselves with writing, I'd understand that too. Or even if it were because they were totally turned-off from MA forums because their only experience with forums was visiting something like "BS-Do". Places like that will definitely leave a bad taste in your mouth. But I suspect that more often there is something else going on.

From time to time I've discussed this forum with other martial artists I know... especially 'Chunners, and what I hear most often is the "we already have the answer so why waste my time arguing with all those benighted fools in other groups" sort of attitude. Honestly, I really think that the main reason why a lot of the martial artists I know don't post here, and wouldn't enjoy participating in these discussions, is that they aren't really interested in other points of view anyway! Any thoughts?

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In the past I've occasionally seen threads on the topic of why people like to post on MATalk and on this WC Forum in particular. But, one thing that interests me is why so many more people don't like to post here.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Smugness can be a problem for some martial artists, interest in actually doing things in ther group or with other people rather than chatting can be a problem for others. Then also this is a fair;y well moderated list so wise guys, and trolls and self promoters don't like to come here- and that is a good thing.

joy chaudhuri

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

In response, I will post a message I sent to kenpotalk, and it will explain the reason I DO post in forums. In short, people that don't want to re examine their training methods, skills, knowledge, execution, etc., don't like going to places where they will be questioned intelligently and respectfully.

A student came to my school that had several years of training in another school. I wanted to gauge his skills with simple tests. One was that I throw a slo mo street thug type elliptical punch to the face, and he, in slo mo, responds, since I want to keep my face from further disfigurement.

The idea is that I move slowly, but moving my weight and body, o that if the person has little structure, it will collapse... and collapse it did, several times.

And in that first evaluation class, I taught him how to question me and verify everything until convinced... and later to re-examine how can it be made better. There can be no refinement without questioning and verification methods.

Hope this helps.

-----

Greetings.

An interesting note... the titles for teachers in American Kenpo are named after the academic positions in universities... Instructors, Professors and Master Professors. As has been said before, a professor professes and lectures... it is the students duty to study, discuss and question, so that either the professor convinces the student or guides the student through a process that will convince or teach a skill to a proficient level.

It is the students duty to take this to higher levels through diligent study and training exercises. The professor by lecturing and giving classes also increases in skill and knowledge, since the Professor has to defend, convince and teach the methods, knowledge and skills the the course requires, plus go even further onto higher levels of knowledge and skill.

Thus the body of knowledge is constantly questioned, refined, reviewed, experimented with, examined and the results reported, analyzed and discussed. Rinse, repeat then towel dry. This is done in Physics and Math, as well as in SubLevel Kenpo and Wing Chun in MSU.

I've seen the effects of not questioning and of not having verification methods for what one does. It is dangerous to have someone that thinks has the skills and doesn't. It is a recipe for disaster.

Sincerely,

Juan Mercado
MSU - Puerto Rico

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our-collective-awesomeness-is-just-too-intimidating.jpg

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

In response, I will post a message I sent to kenpotalk, and it will explain the reason I DO post in forums. In short, people that don't want to re examine their training methods, skills, knowledge, execution, etc., don't like going to places where they will be questioned intelligently and respectfully.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

-----

Greetings.

An interesting note... the titles for teachers in American Kenpo are named after the academic positions in universities... Instructors, Professors and Master Professors.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------I agree completely regarrding the first part. Communicating about what others do and testing with others helps one learn more.

On the second part-an opinion---I think copying titles from universities for the martial arts
is a bit silly and unnecessary. Sometimes an inferiority complex leads some martial arts
sifus to pick up honorary degrees wired through weak or familiar institutions.

Martial arts teachers can be and should be proud of their own achievements in what they do. Progressing in martial arts can be an exciting and exacting and worthy adventure on its own.

Ip Man, WSL, Ho Kam Ming, Chen Xiao Wang didn't and don't need a Ph.D next to their name to deserve and get respect.Mine anyways.

Imported titles unfortunately can result in less and not more respect from folks other than
one's own "disciples".

joy chaudhuri

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

On the second part-an opinion---I think copying titles from universities for the martial arts
is a bit silly and unnecessary. Sometimes an inferiority complex leads some martial arts
sifus to pick up honorary degrees wired through weak or familiar institutions.

(snip)

Imported titles unfortunately can result in less and not more respect from folks other than
one's own "disciples".

Just like using Chinese titles (Sihing, Sidai, Sifu, Sigung, etc.) or Japanese titles (Sensei, Renshi, Shihan, Kyoshi, Hanshi, etc.) is silly and unnecessary and results in less respect from others than the "disciples" of the title holder?

Using Occidental educational institutional titles for an American physical education and philosophical discipline (martial arts) made sense to Ed Parker as an organizational tool as to not use Oriental titles that were foreign to many people here and even silly to Orientals (remember the titles thread from last week?).

In our schools we don't give out B.A.s or Ph.D.s or anything like that... yet (would need to invest in accreditation and the degrees would be either in Physical Education or Criminal Justice). Your teaching position in the school would be defined by Assistant Instructor, Instructor or Professor. They would be addressed as Mr. or Miss or Mrs. Nothing fancy.

Hope that clarifies.

Sincerely,

Juan Mercado

P.S. My students call me Sifu in the academy... yet I've never asked or enforced it... it sorta just happened.

chain punch

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thankfully allz of my teachers in the martial arts have insisted on first names. Only now we call our instructor sifu on our Facebook group. Not by design but out of respect. I know that we if called him this in class he would probably dismiss us as fools.

I too agree with academic institution titles being borrowed. But I also understand that we as students (generally and not all of us) and other schools of martial arts like to know the hierarchy of a system or a school. Pecking orders are a very important component of the human psyche.

Yours in the martial way

Great Grandmaster Chain Punch (17th Dan)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the past I've occasionally seen threads on the topic of why people like to post on MATalk and on this WC Forum in particular. But, one thing that interests me is why so many more people don't like to post here. If it was because they were too busy practicing or with meeting life's many obligations, that would be fine. Or if they simply weren't the type who like to express themselves with writing, I'd understand that too. Or even if it were because they were totally turned-off from MA forums because their only experience with forums was visiting something like "BS-Do". Places like that will definitely leave a bad taste in your mouth. But I suspect that more often there is something else going on.

From time to time I've discussed this forum with other martial artists I know... especially 'Chunners, and what I hear most often is the "we already have the answer so why waste my time arguing with all those benighted fools in other groups" sort of attitude. Honestly, I really think that the main reason why a lot of the martial artists I know don't post here, and wouldn't enjoy participating in these discussions, is that they aren't really interested in other points of view anyway! Any thoughts?
Closed mindedness leads to stunted growth.

Rion

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have been, a close follower of this site always reading but very hesitant to post. I wouldn't say it was from lack of knowledge just, their are so many great martial artist on this site once a question gets posted, there is always a better response given than I would have wrote.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been, a close follower of this site always reading but very hesitant to post. I wouldn't say it was from lack of knowledge just, their are so many great martial artist on this site once a question gets posted, there is always a better response given than I would have wrote.
Every question, every comment can add to the discussion though. :)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I think it might be good to see what questions either typically are revisited or are often posed. This is a great opportunity for instructors to address these pro-actively. Please, post! =)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I feel that at the base level, where the principles of a given art are, you can find common ground. Root, structure, balance, proper body movement, and power source are the common thread within different martial arts. Here is where I would like to dialog with some of our Wing Chun community, as well as others.
In my earlier post I mentioned "closed mindedness produced stunted growth". I feel that we all need to be reminded that a thread that is started by someone in any of the martial arts sections, is like a training hall. Within that training hall, people from all walks of arts, have an opportunity to dialog, share, and learn. No one art, or, no one person, has all the answers. It is not a total matter that people don't post just here, it is the same in many other threads. Openness, respect, and willingness to be wrong will go a long way in the growth that we all seek while on our path. We need to allow ourselves to grow by asking questions, and in turn when someone asks a question, we also need to consider it a good valid question, and let the exchange of ideas begin. These are my thoughts on the OP.

Last edited:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And this my friend is called growth. Even at my tender old age :) I continue to learn. Where else can we meet such a great group of diverse people willing to put their 2 cents in. I say share and enjoy.
icon7.gif

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

By sharing, thinking ensues, and development of skills and knowledge follow. This experience enriches your thinking and get's you ready for continual learning. Thus I invite all lurkers to chime in with questions, comments, or just why you agree with any of the posts.

The results I assure you will be more illuminating than you think, for everyone involved.

Sincerely,

Juan Mercado

Latest Discussions