Most effective martial art?

OP
M

MartialArtist

The best martial art is what you like best, what fits you best, what you are willing to train hours for, go through blood, sweat, and tears over. MA requires great dedication, years of training, and patience.

If you're just looking for quick combat lessons, a MMA is probably the best. MMA students can usually defend themselves better than TMA students if you only study a short period of time, and aren't willing to put that much time into it. MMA still requires dedication, and lots of training, but strictly for self-defense purposes in a year or so, MMA is the easy way to go.

Also, be wary of some schools. Schools that go mainstream, or teach Bullshido isn't going to get you anywhere. You don't want that, search for a good school that teaches combat.

OP
A

A.R.K.

I would like to support a comment made by Wmarden,

I know of a case where an off duty LAPD or LASO officer was shot through the heart and actually managed to win and survive the fight(though to be technical she did die/flat line a couple of times). She went back on full duty at something like six months after the incident. Heart is what kept her alive and helped her make it through the fight. It is your fighting spirit more so than the technique that one uses.

He is absolutely correct. She was LAPD, in uniform but heading home off duty. She was not wearing body armor under her uniform. Her POV was bumped from the rear by a Bronco with four males inside, an attempted smash & grab senerio. Fortunately this happened almost in front of her own residence. As she exited her vehicle the four males did also, they did not know she was LAPD when they bumped her. They paniced and ran back to the Bronco...except for one who pulled a .357 magnum revolver and shot her once throught the heart at perhaps 10-15 feet. She unholstered her issued 9mm Beretta and fired three times and scored three hits COM killing her attacker. Her roomate was home and witnessed the events, again fortunately, she was also LAPD [dispatcher] and immediately phoned for emergency response. The officer survived emergency surgery and in time returned to full duty. She had the will not only to survive...but win! Good for her and a valuable lesson for us all.

:asian:

OP
C

Cliarlaoch

Good question, and as it has been said already, there are many equally good answers.

I would suppose that any martial art that one has trained in properly can be applied to the street and enable one to survive a fight. The real question for me is whether knowledge of the art teaches one to find peaceful means of ending or getting out of the fight. Obviously, there are some situations that require one to fight (defending family, friends, etc.), but there are some where the line is more blurry. Does your style teach you to know what is an appropriate response to the situation in question?

If someone's hammering away at you in an alley, then yeah, sure, you need to fight back. If it's a drunk that's bumped into you and is so smashed he can't even stand up, then the situation is different. What I'm trying to say is that there are two sides to the question you have asked. 1) Is the martial art you learn effective, and 2) Will what you have learned be NECESSARY on the streets? Some styles teach you some amazing techniques that are utterly useless or completely inappropriate on the streets. Others teach you techniques that are more useful and appropriate.

And to all these issues, the answer remains the same: it depends on the person who trains, not just the style he or she trains IN. If the skills you learn in the MAs are going to make you a better fighter, you better bloody well be willing to develop YOURSELF to become a better fighter. It's a matter of will as well as a matter of technique and practice.

My two cents. Hope they present a half-decent perspective, and thanks for the question!

OP
S

silencethehero

C'mon people! I'm new to this board, but does everyone have to be so PC about what art is best? I study a few different martial arts and love them all, but I definitely have a preference that I think is more street applicable or what I believe is going to be more beneficial in a combat situation, Jujutsu!

HIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by silencethehero
C'mon people! I'm new to this board, but does everyone have to be so PC about what art is best? I study a few different martial arts and love them all, but I definitely have a preference that I think is more street applicable or what I believe is going to be more beneficial in a combat situation, Jujutsu!

HIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Of course. We each have a preference. Mine is Silat. And, generally, I'd say it's the most effective art for me. But I don't consider it "PC" to point out that there are different horses for different courses. I think it's just realistic :)

Mike

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rommel
Does gun fu qualify as a martial art?:D

Personally, I think so. I think firearms are just a weapon like any other. And weapons are and have always been a part of the martial arts to one extent or another.

Mike

OP
C

Cliarlaoch

HIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

No, we're just trying to be friendly about it, because as soon as you start saying "X style rocks" everybody starts a flame war, which is not what this place is about.

And as a question, are you referring to Japanese or Brazillian JJ? Just curious, some variants of the style may be viewed as more effective than others by different people.

Either way, there are many different paths to follow in life. Who are we to say that our way is better or worse than any other way unless we have walked them all?

OP
S

silencethehero

Originally posted by Cliarlaoch
No, we're just trying to be friendly about it, because as soon as you start saying "X style rocks" everybody starts a flame war, which is not what this place is about.

And as a question, are you referring to Japanese or Brazillian JJ? Just curious, some variants of the style may be viewed as more effective than others by different people.

Either way, there are many different paths to follow in life. Who are we to say that our way is better or worse than any other way unless we have walked them all?

Flame war? No problem.

I am referring to Japanese, because THAT is Jujutsu. I don't feel BJJ is nearly as effective in a combat situation.

If by "paths," you are referring to martial arts, then you are right. But a lot of people choose to live a pretty ****ed up existence and perpetuate violence and harm. I will judge those people to protect myself and the people I care for.

I am SILENCE: THE HERO.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score

HIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

My favourite form of self defense?

The 150 yard dash!

Failing that, Ryukyu Kempo.

--Dave

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score

I am SILENCE: THE HERO.

Hi, I am Dave. I don't think you could be a hero, because all the heroes I know are dead.:D
Either way, I am pleased to have made your aquaintance!

--Dave

OP
S

silencethehero

Originally posted by D.Cobb

The 150 yard dash!

Failing that, Ryukyu Kempo.

--Dave

Great response and by far the most intelligent!;)

OP
S

silencethehero

Originally posted by D.Cobb
Hi, I am Dave. I don't think you could be a hero, because all the heroes I know are dead.:D
Either way, I am pleased to have made your aquaintance!

--Dave

There are heroes in all of us. It is nice to meet you as well.:)

OP
R

Rommel

The 150 yard dash!
Applicable only if you are alone and are not trying to protect your loved ones and friends or in a situation where you are trapped or injured and can't run.

OP
R

Rommel

[/i]

The 150 yard dash

Applicable only if you are alone and are not trying to protect your loved ones and friends or in a situation where you are trapped or injured and can't run.

OP
S

silencethehero

[/i]

Are you saying that we're not supposed to leave the people we care about to fend for themselves in a confrontational situation?

OP
R

Rommel

It depends if they are grandmasters of the martial arts or special forces.:D

OP
M

Master of Blades

[/i]

I dont know.......My Dad told me that I was always complaining about not having enough indenpendance or freedom so he said that if we ever got attacked on the street he was gonna leave me and run for his life giving me my new found independance :D I will do nothing less for my kids when I'm older :asian:

OP
S

silencethehero

Originally posted by Master of Blades
I dont know.......My Dad told me that I was always complaining about not having enough indenpendance or freedom so he said that if we ever got attacked on the street he was gonna leave me and run for his life giving me my new found independance :D I will do nothing less for my kids when I'm older :asian:

It all depends on if I like my children or not.

OP
M

Master of Blades

It all depends on if I like my children or not.

Yeah I guess....If thats the case then I think I'm just gonna make sure I dont like them and laugh at them for wanting Independance until I WANT them to have it :D

Latest Discussions