Being a good fighter

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Haha. Right. That sounds fishy. He also complains about "useless forms" not understanding what they're intended to do. Now maybe I'm wrong I'm sure you know better than I do but to me forms teach how to block correctly. I asked my master "do you think forms could work in real combat" and he said "absolutely"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forms do a lot, including teaching how to block, and are very far from useless. I'm heading out now, but later I'll find one of the threads started by Bill Mattocks which goes into detail about how useful they can be.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Forms do a lot, including teaching how to block, and are very far from useless. I'm heading out now, but later I'll find one of the threads started by Bill Mattocks which goes into detail about how useful they can be.

Alright. Talk another time. ;-)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also I'm not just a TKD fighter, I know other fighting styles myself

I know a lot about Ninjutsu. You can read up on a Wikipedia about this.

And Many family members have taught me their techniques as well.

Just to help with clear communication, here's some suggestions as to how someone on this forum might describe their familiarity with different arts. I'll use myself as an example.

"I'm reasonably expert in BJJ" = I've been training in the art for about 20 years, teaching for about 5. Black belt. Over 5000 hours training on the mats plus hundreds of hours studying and researching off the mats.

"I'm reasonably experienced in Muay Thai" = Over 2000 hours of training spread out over time, with about 10 years where I was training consistently.

"I have a solid foundation in Boxing and Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu" = 100s of hours training and enough knowledge and skill to introduce someone to the basics of the art, but far from an expert.

"I have some foundation in Kali" = Over 100 hours worth of training and some usable skills, but really just scratching the surface of the art.

"I'm training in XYZ" = Can describe anything from Capoeira (which I've been doing for 3 weeks) to Wing Tsun (which I've been doing for 6 months) to BJJ (which I've been doing for 20 years). Makes no claims beyond the fact that I am currently involved in the art.

"I've been exposed to Silat" = Gone to a seminar or two, watched videos, and talked to or shared techniques with friends who train. Have some general impressions of the art, but nothing beyond that.

"I've read about Kalaripayat" = I've looked at the commonly available information written on the subject, but have no first-hand experience to judge the accuracy of what I've read.

This sort of approach will make it much more clear what level of expertise you are claiming in the subject being discussed.

I'm sure you could beat me up easily

No one here is really concerned about which forum members could beat each other up. Most of us are pretty peaceable folk. Also, most of us do our best to avoid a fair fight if a confrontation is unavoidable. :D

If I was an expert in martial arts I'm pretty sure I would open up a school and make millions.
Man, I wish that were the way it worked.

No I'm new here. Don't know to to check that.
Check out any of Chris's posts, down at the bottom underneath "With Respect, Chris Parker". You'll see links to Ninjutsu Australia - Welcome To Ninjutsu.... and a couple of other sites.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest not talking about another poster, it's one thing to post on his threads but quite another to bad mouth him on another thread he may not see. It's talking and laughing at him behind his back without him having a chance to defend himself.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'd suggest not talking about another poster, it's one thing to post on his threads but quite another to bad mouth him on another thread he may not see. It's talking and laughing at him behind his back without him having a chance to defend himself.

True

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin's Note:

Please keep this discussion about the subject matter at hand. While criticisms of someone's technique or lineage can be done in a civil manner, attempts at fraudbusting and / or art bashing will be dealt with the appropriate disciplinary method.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a small side note, I started participating in this forum a couple months ago. I literally just had a couple questions about some challenges my club was having. Turns out this is one of the coolest forums there is. it's incredibly informative and has helped me better myself as Martial Artist. I was very fortunate to stumble across Martial Talk.
You know, I was tempted to click on "dislike" or "disagree" on that one, just to see what reaction I'd get. :p

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There was a couple things I wanted to say, but I lost my train of thought when the thread took a weird turn by bashing another member of the forum. And ... I kinda lost interest :D

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey welcome to MT. I enjoyed reading your post. Tell me.. do you think people who learn a non-striking art - and there are many styles as I am sure you are aware - are wrong-minded to do so? Would they be better learning as you say a few moves of a striking art. If so does that mean their own non-striking art is insufficient?

No everyone can learn what they want. I've been schooled up a bit since I posted this actually and I regret posting it now. Anyway I don't think learning a few moves is enough. Anyone can go on YouTube a learn a few kicks and a few punches. I think one should learn the fundamentals of an art which I am trying to do myself.

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
"Being a good fighter: In my opinion I think either you're a fighter or you're not."

I am smaller and weaker than most of my training partners. I've they close on me, i'm basically screwed. I lack the mental fortitude to keep a cool head and evade punches to the face.

Here's my basic gameplan:
At the start of the round, i use 1 jab and retreat.
If the intensity goes up, i punch my way into a clinch.
If i start getting hit, i breaststroke my way into a clinch.
At the end of the round, i try to throw a couple of body punches.
And then i clinch.

Id argue that im a crappy boxer, but a vaguely decent strategist. Does that make me a good or bad fighter, or just me?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, here are a couple threads focused around kata/bunkai. Interesting reads and discussions IMO. (sorry about how off course this is going, but the thread was already off course so I don't feel too bad). All of them are from the last couple months, as those are what I remember, but there are plenty more threads just like these if you look to the search history.

This one goes into what a kata is:
Deep Kata

This one does the same as the above, but also talks about, as the topic says, ways to improve kata/increase understanding
How to improve in Kata ?

The video at the start of this one is just a cool way to see direct bunkai.
It's all the same

I feel like this one's good to read, but fair warning: it's a bit of a mess.
kata?

Latest Discussions