Being a good fighter

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Note: There are different types of good martial artists, one being that they are good at the mental aspect of things, two they are good at sparring and competition, and 3 is that they can fight well in the streets.

Being a good fighter: In my opinion I think either you're a fighter or you're not. On the other hand learning some moves can never hurt. If you want to be a good fighter in general you should learn a striking art because you defeat multiple opponents at a time like this where as with grappling you cannot. Which striking art?: That's based on the artists doing the art. But why something like Wing Chun maybe not your favorite is because of all the flashy up-close hand techniques. The last thing I want to do is get close to someone trying to attack me; with that in mind you may consider something with lots of kicks like Kickboxing or Taekwondo. Taekwondo is about 50/50 between Hand techniques, Kicks, takedowns, Self Defense, forms, disarms, and some joint locks. Kick boxing is mostly kicking with no other real techniques that can be used in a fight. Therefore I would recommend Taekwondo for real life combat situations. I am not bashing any martial art because they're all awesome but I'm just giving my opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
First welcome to MT. Before everyone pig piles on you, I would suggest you make an introduction post telling everyone who you are and your experience in the new members section.
I will give you some time to do that,,before I breakdown your post and explain how I think your incorrect in your assumptions.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Note: There are different types of good martial artists, one being that they are good at the mental aspect of things, two they are good at sparring and competition, and 3 is that they can fight well in the streets.

Being a good fighter: In my opinion I think either you're a fighter or you're not. On the other hand learning some moves can never hurt. If you want to be a good fighter in general you should learn a striking art because you defeat multiple opponents at a time like this where as with grappling you cannot. Which striking art?: That's based on the artists doing the art. But why something like Wing Chun maybe not your favorite is because of all the flashy up-close hand techniques. The last thing I want to do is get close to someone trying to attack me; with that in mind you may consider something with lots of kicks like Kickboxing or Taekwondo. Taekwondo is about 50/50 between Hand techniques, Kicks, takedowns, Self Defense, forms, disarms, and some joint locks. Kick boxing is mostly kicking with no other real techniques that can be used in a fight. Therefore I would recommend Taekwondo for real life combat situations. I am not bashing any martial art because they're all awesome but I'm just giving my opinions.

I'm assuming you're a taekwondo guy. and kicboxing is not mainly kicks at all hence the name kick boxing. It has kicks and punches and knees and elbows and no other techaisus that can be used in a fight? well fights are mainly punches kicks blocks knees elbows. fights arent prettu and choreograhped like movies you want to try a 360 tornado kick on the street theyll most likely be cleaning you up off the pavement and honestly this kind of post is definentely likely to cause some arguments. Also you say you wouldn't want to get close to someone but what if you have no choice what if someone pins you to a wall or gets up close to you in a crowded area like a nightclub what will you do then ask him to back up a bit?

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

what if the person lacks the flexibility to do Taekwondo kicks?

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
thought i should point out the OP is 16. lets not let the weight of the pig pile crush his enthusiasm.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Welcome to MT. There will be a varying degree of disagreement with what you posted. I'll try to walk to the gentle line here. I have background in several arts, though only significant time in karate (American freestyle and Shotokan) and Judo other than my primary art.

First, you may not want to get close to someone attacking you, but they probably want to get close to you. If you have no close-in responses, you'll find yourself in a world of trouble unless you see the attack early enough AND are far more skilled than the attacker. One of my students came to me specifically because his Shotokan training lacks any significant in-close work, and that leaves him vulnerable. Personally, if I can keep them away, I wil, but if they want to close that distance, I'll use that to my advantage.

Secondly, you seem to have an unclear picture of what grappling is. If you're referring to ground-grappling, you're right that it's really only likely to be usable against a single attacker. At the same time, if you're on the ground, you need some ground-grappling capability to get back up. With standing grappling, however, we have a different game, entirely. The ability to control an attacker is even higher with grappling than with striking (especially if they aren't feeling the pain of strikes).

An ideal self-defense training regimen should have answers to many ranges, should include striking and grappling (including ground work). Many arts don't include enough of at least one of those, so most of us cross-train.

In short, there is no one "the answer" to what's good. Nearly any art can be effective for self-defense, and most (perhaps all) of them aren't complete for any one person.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, FJ. Hope you enjoy it.

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score

From a TKD perspective not all TKD is 50/50 when it comes to hands and feet. My specific style is more like 90/10. As in 90 percent kicks ten percent punches. Now this doesn't mean I have no idea how to defend myself if my life was in danger. I'm just saying that you can't talk about TKD in absolute. Not all styles, and variations are the same.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sorry guys I understand some of you think I'm bashing your art I'm really not tho. Also I'm not just a TKD fighter, I know other fighting styles myself

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Hey welcome to MT. I enjoyed reading your post. Tell me.. do you think people who learn a non-striking art - and there are many styles as I am sure you are aware - are wrong-minded to do so? Would they be better learning as you say a few moves of a striking art. If so does that mean their own non-striking art is insufficient?

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
ok time is up....
Sorry guys I understand some of you think I'm bashing your art I'm really not tho.
no one has mentioned anything about you bashing an art. if you were bashing something you would know.
I know other fighting styles myself
i would point out that many here including myself have been training in martial arts at least 2 times longer than you have been on the planet. you really dont "know" anything yet. you train in martial arts and thats great. you may have a black belt , i wound not know you have not posted an introduction to let us know, but some time in training is far from "knowing" something and having an indepth understanding of the subject.
go back and re read peoples posts. no one is accusing you of bashing them and so far no one is bashing you. what they are doing is pointing out small errors in your perception of violence and how martial arts works in violent situations.

i understand you are using this statement as a set up for the rest of your post however martial arts has a much wider range. how about the teacher who is a good martial artist because he understands complex principals and can articulate that to students and has the ability to create better students than he ever was? there are more than just three, there are many.

In my opinion I think either you're a fighter or you're not.

for starters can you define what you mean by a fighter?

if i am understanding this correctly are you referring to the old adage "fighters are born, not made"?
i would disagree. i have yet to see or hear of a story where a new born baby jumped up on the table and slapped the doctor back.
every single aspect of a fighter can be, in fact it has to be learnt. some people have a greater willingness to engage with the enemy and some may have more physical skill but everyone under the right conditions has the ability and mental capacity to fight. around the globe and throughout history there are 7, 8, 9 and 10 year olds who are actively engaged in combat and killing. its a tragedy but they were conditioned for it.

If you want to be a good fighter in general you should learn a striking art because you defeat multiple opponents at a time
you have been watching too many movies and too many YouTube videos.

The last thing I want to do is get close to someone trying to attack me
your mistaken assumption as has been pointed out already is that you assume you have a choice in venue, numbers of attackers, weapons involved, that you can dictate the range of the attack and that you can see it coming. in many cases it is an ambush attack when you are most vulnerable. criminals are not stupid. if i was going to attack you i would hit you when you were pissing in the mens room and slam your head against the wall and toilet. i would stomp on your ankle and mess you up before you even knew what was happening.

Therefore I would recommend Taekwondo for real life combat situations
TKD is a great art and has some really powerfull kicks. my old teacher could rip the heavy bag down at will tearing the bag seams and bending the metal "S" hooks with his kicks. your evaluation of real life combat is based on what? before you recommend the cure you should have a full understanding of the illness.
you like TKD. it works for you great. i include kicking into what i do as well. but kicking is a small part of the needed tools for martial skills and an even smaller slice of the pie needed for self defense. would you equally recommend TKD for law enforcement who carry firearms, for women who need to defend against rape or someone who lacks the flexibility as was mentioned? your basing your logic on yourself rather than accounting for the variables and situations of others.
keep training and keep learning but a bit of forewarning, as you age the kicks you cherish now will fall to the wayside as your bodies limitations dictates what you can do.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok time is up....

no one has mentioned anything about you bashing an art. if you were bashing something you would know.

i would point out that many here including myself have been training in martial arts at least 2 times longer than you have been on the planet. you really dont "know" anything yet. you train in martial arts and thats great. you may have a black belt , i wound not know you have not posted an introduction to let us know, but some time in training is far from "knowing" something and having an indepth understanding of the subject.
go back and re read peoples posts. no one is accusing you of bashing them and so far no one is bashing you. what they are doing is pointing out small errors in your perception of violence and how martial arts works in violent situations.

i understand you are using this statement as a set up for the rest of your post however martial arts has a much wider range. how about the teacher who is a good martial artist because he understands complex principals and can articulate that to students and has the ability to create better students than he ever was? there are more than just three, there are many.

for starters can you define what you mean by a fighter?

if i am understanding this correctly are you referring to the old adage "fighters are born, not made"?
i would disagree. i have yet to see or hear of a story where a new born baby jumped up on the table and slapped the doctor back.
every single aspect of a fighter can be, in fact it has to be learnt. some people have a greater willingness to engage with the enemy and some may have more physical skill but everyone under the right conditions has the ability and mental capacity to fight. around the globe and throughout history there are 7, 8, 9 and 10 year olds who are actively engaged in combat and killing. its a tragedy but they were conditioned for it.

you have been watching too many movies and too many YouTube videos.

your mistaken assumption as has been pointed out already is that you assume you have a choice in venue, numbers of attackers, weapons involved, that you can dictate the range of the attack and that you can see it coming. in many cases it is an ambush attack when you are most vulnerable. criminals are not stupid. if i was going to attack you i would hit you when you were pissing in the mens room and slam your head against the wall and toilet. i would stomp on your ankle and mess you up before you even knew what was happening.

TKD is a great art and has some really powerfull kicks. my old teacher could rip the heavy bag down at will tearing the bag seams and bending the metal "S" hooks with his kicks. your evaluation of real life combat is based on what? before you recommend the cure you should have a full understanding of the illness.
you like TKD. it works for you great. i include kicking into what i do as well. but kicking is a small part of the needed tools for martial skills and an even smaller slice of the pie needed for self defense. would you equally recommend TKD for law enforcement who carry firearms, for women who need to defend against rape or someone who lacks the flexibility as was mentioned? your basing your logic on yourself rather than accounting for the variables and situations of others.
keep training and keep learning but a bit of forewarning, as you age the kicks you cherish now will fall to the wayside as your bodies limitations dictates what you can do.
Well and clearly stated.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I still don't get this you are either a good fighter or not stuff. It is a skill. You can learn it. Most people are not good at something they have never done.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I still don't get this you are either a good fighter or not stuff. It is a skill. You can learn it. Most people are not good at something they have never done.
I think it's that attitude some people grow up in bad neighbourhoods and constantly fighting and their born into fighting so they're better than those who aren't. Which I think is rubbish just because you throw your hands around against idiots doesn't make you a good fighter

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it's that attitude some people grow up in bad neighbourhoods and constantly fighting and their born into fighting so they're better than those who aren't. Which I think is rubbish just because you throw your hands around against idiots doesn't make you a good fighter

This reminds me of the people who say they only want an instructor who has many street fights under their belt.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This reminds me of the people who say they only want an instructor who has many street fights under their belt.

I'd prefer instructors who fought people rather than streets. :cool:

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Grappling can can be used to fight more than one guy. For example just yesterday I and two others were training our hip throw. My partners head bounced off the matt, when it was his turn he did the same to me.

Now if that were pavement or concrete we would both more than likely be dead right now. Finishing a guy off in one move Is perfect for more than one attacker.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

I think that's a grey area because if they are able to take a good hit without buckling up or panicking then that already sets them apart from most people.

There is also the logic that if two slow cars race, one will have to win right? That wouldn't make the winner a good race car though.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You guys have good points. I'm sure some of you could beat me and know much more than I do. I was just giving my opinions. I'm sure some of you are much older as well:)

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
You guys have good points. I'm sure some of you could beat me and know much more than I do. I was just giving my opinions. I'm sure some of you are much older as well:)

and your opinions are valid and worth thinking and talking about. debate is not a bad thing. it makes me think and rethink what i believe and expands my understanding.

Latest Discussions