Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I explain why FMA will get you beaten or killed in self defense.

Wrong mindset - FMA train for fights, not self defense. FMA were used during a time of war against the Spanish. The claims that FMA helped Filipinos defeat the Spanish during the Philippine revolution are exaggerated. If you study history, you'll see that guns ultimately helped the Filipinos win the war.

Unrealistic techniques - In FMA, you'll hear alot of concepts like checking the hands and trapping or parrying then attacking. You might see them do something like this.

The problem with that is knife fights are completely different from knife attacks. Knifemen usually ambush you. By the time you realize what happened, you would've been stabbed or slashed repeatedly. These are some clips of how real knife attacks go down.

No multiple attackers - Other issue with FMA is there's no training to deal with multiple attackers. Doce Parres was attacked by a couple of knifemen. He stabbed two, but got hit from behind with a chair. His attacker took his knife and stabbed him repeatedly. Doce Parres disarmed him back and stabbed him back before passing out. He woke up in a morgue because people thought he was dead. What was his mistake? Lack of situational awareness.

In conclusion, FMA is not ideal for self defense. It's going to get you beaten or killed most likely.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I explain why FMA will get you beaten or killed in self defense.

Wrong mindset - FMA train for fights, not self defense. FMA were used during a time of war against the Spanish. The claims that FMA helped Filipinos defeat the Spanish during the Philippine revolution are exaggerated. If you study history, you'll see that guns ultimately helped the Filipinos win the war.

Unrealistic techniques - In FMA, you'll hear alot of concepts like checking the hands and trapping or parrying then attacking. You might see them do something like this.

The problem with that is knife fights are completely different from knife attacks. Knifemen usually ambush you. By the time you realize what happened, you would've been stabbed or slashed repeatedly. These are some clips of how real knife attacks go down.

No multiple attackers - Other issue with FMA is there's no training to deal with multiple attackers. Doce Parres was attacked by a couple of knifemen. He stabbed two, but got hit from behind with a chair. His attacker took his knife and stabbed him repeatedly. Doce Parres disarmed him back and stabbed him back before passing out. He woke up in a morgue because people thought he was dead. What was his mistake? Lack of situational awareness.

In conclusion, FMA is not ideal for self defense. It's going to get you beaten or killed most likely.
So, in conclusion, the only way to defend yourself(without getting beaten or killed) is to clumsilly jerk your body around while almost falling over throwing structurally terrible punches that wouldn't make a housecat flinch, like you show in your video right?

I get it, laughter can disarm hostility. Brilliant.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is this clown for real or what? Come on admins this guy has made multiple threads style bashing what's it going to get him out of here.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is this clown for real or what? Come on admins this guy has made multiple threads style bashing what's it going to get him out of here.

But he's so funny.

Someone who has never actually done anything remotely like fighting or defending but had watched a few videos and been able to identify weak points in every art, and hence created his own non-style that can defeat anything (and teaches it to others).

It's like master Ken, but not satirical and with no actual skill of any sort.

I personally can't wait for his "enter the modern self defence school" series, it'll be ace.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
But he's so funny.

Someone who has never actually done anything remotely like fighting or defending but had watched a few videos and been able to identify weak points in every art, and hence created his own non-style that can defeat anything (and teaches it to others).

It's like master Ken, but not satirical and with no actual skill of any sort.

I personally can't wait for his "enter the modern self defence school" series, it'll be ace.
If he was just talking this crap online i wouldn't care and would find it funny but problem is he's selling this bs to people who are believing it and genuinely putting lives in danger

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
If he was just talking this crap online i wouldn't care and would find it funny but problem is he's selling this bs to people who are believing it and genuinely putting lives in danger

Here's a conflicting theory for you...

He went to a modern self defence school, and got kicked out for being a complete tit who thought he knew everything.

So, he devised a cunning plan to pretend it was his school, spreading rubbish about the philosophy of said school in order to severely damage it's reputation.

I mean who, even with no prior experience, would see him move and think "yeah, that guy's my new role model, I want to be like him"?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's a conflicting theory for you...

He went to a modern self defence school, and got kicked out for being a complete tit who thought he knew everything.

So, he devised a cunning plan to pretend it was his school, spreading rubbish about the philosophy of said school in order to severely damage it's reputation.

I mean who, even with no prior experience, would see him move and think "yeah, that guy's my new role model, I want to be like him"?
Sadly it happens more often than you'd think...on his videos he's had a couple comments saying how impressive he looked...I mean I guess it could be his mother saying that though

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
well @Isaiah90 i have now reported you for style bashing you probably won't be here much longer and if I were you I'd shut your little school before you get someone hurt and they sue you

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, Isaiah90... you're running on and on about why one style or another is no good for self defense. What IS good for self defense? Oh, your online school? Yeah, not so sure about that. See, you lack credentials to establish any credibility. I'm a cop for near on 20 years. I've spent more than 30 years training, systematically and consistently in one martial style, as well as exposing myself to others to varying degrees. I've spent a fair amount of time researching violent attacks, and especially how police officers are attacked and defend themselves, or take people into custody. I've also spent a not-inconsequential time learning how people respond under the particular stress of violence, stress in general, and how conflict comes about. And, with all that, I only claim to understand about 1 slice of the pizza that is "self defense." Because things can be very, very different if you go to a different city, a different neighborhood, and even more so in different countries.

So, maybe you can establish some bonafides before you spout off? Just maybe?

Reactions: pdg

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A couple counterpoints...

1. The people following him are probably just as clueless as he is, and wouldn’t go to an actual dojo teaching anything realistic anyway. I’d wager they’re the type of people who wouldn’t go to a proven and reknowned dojo if it was next door and free.

2. I highly doubt any of them have been in an actual fight and would ever be in one. Not that there’s ANYTHING wrong with that, but anyone who’s ever been in any type of physical confrontation should/would easily see through this crap.

3. Just because he says he has paying students doesn’t mean he actually does.

4. Get comments in before it’s locked :)

I agree with you though.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, Isaiah90... you're running on and on about why one style or another is no good for self defense. What IS good for self defense? Oh, your online school? Yeah, not so sure about that. See, you lack credentials to establish any credibility. I'm a cop for near on 20 years. I've spent more than 30 years training, systematically and consistently in one martial style, as well as exposing myself to others to varying degrees. I've spent a fair amount of time researching violent attacks, and especially how police officers are attacked and defend themselves, or take people into custody. I've also spent a not-inconsequential time learning how people respond under the particular stress of violence, stress in general, and how conflict comes about. And, with all that, I only claim to understand about 1 slice of the pizza that is "self defense." Because things can be very, very different if you go to a different city, a different neighborhood, and even more so in different countries.

So, maybe you can establish some bonafides before you spout off? Just maybe?

No No No, you don't get it. You are thinking like a martial artist! Stop it.

You see, you be credentialed or qualified to teach, you would first need to learn a martial art right? BAM first mistake, now you have a style, which will get you killed!

The key is to try to learn as little as possible about anything, to empty yourself of all skills and techniques. This way, should you ever meet the dreaded 'attackers' that attack but don't fight(?), you will lurch around in an uncoordinated ballet of ineffectual clumsiness to such a degree that the 'attackers'(tm) will be incapacitated with laughter, allowing you to walk away from the encounter unharmed.

Are you getting it yet?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Doce Pares (note how to spell it rightly) translates as twelves pairs or twelve equals. It is a style of FMA, not a person's name. The depth of research is mind bottling.

D

Deleted member 39746

I mean, hes not entirely wrong here, but these are common complaints i have seen for it. But im pretty sure most work in the Philipines and i belie some styles do in fact address muiltiple oppoinents but beore i get into a tangent about it, i found this.

Juramentado - Wikipedia Not too sure o the autenticit or scale, but if you didnt kno about it have fun reading it. Cant deny its intresting no matter what. Just seemed like a good thread to bring it to peoples attention. :p

Oh before i forget, the Philipines were occupied by Spain, the U.S and Japan, all of whome had a resistance movement against them given the nature of said fighting its fair to say they would do a air amount of ambushing enemy forces. I am by no means a expert, but you missed out two significant occupations.

(excuse spelling now on a old laptop and its keyboard is busted, funnil enough its the f key mainly)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The complaints are all things about particular training, not really the style... which is what he doesn't understand. People training FMA for self-defense don't do things the exact same way that those simply training for fun do. Sub any other art you want to for FMA.

OP
Isaiah90

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The complaints are all things about particular training, not really the style... which is what he doesn't understand. People training FMA for self-defense don't do things the exact same way that those simply training for fun do. Sub any other art you want to for FMA.

ok well if you can show me a FMA school that trains differently than the others for self defense, that'd be great.

D

Deleted member 39746

Fair enough, i dont overly agree with it.

Something i was going to edit into my original post: Doesnt this mean the OP has to confess that one+ style(s) wont get you killed given the japanese had a bayont fighting style (forget the name but this is what i imagine most soldiers were taught at least for aggresion or spare time ater training), that they could know and any one of the styles taught in Japanese territory. So if FMA doest work in the Japanese occupation then X Japanese style(s) should. :p

edit: Pretty sure this can be used to apply to Spanish and U.S fighting styles as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions