Why do you teach Taekwondo?

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion, martial arts are the best method of personal development ever divised. The practice of traditional martial arts allows literally anyone to realize just what they have the potential to do. Very difficult to not believe in yourself when you are developing abilities that very few other people can do.
Case in point: one of our Instructors teaches Tae Kwon Do as part of a private community mental health outreach. His students are primarily victims of physical, sexual, and mental abuse, as well as alcoholic and drug addict families. Granted, he can't save all of them. But the change in many of the ones he does teach is amazing. Children who were previously doomed to a life of low self esteem, suicide, and early pregnancy. Can't imagine where they'd be without traditional Tae Kwon Do.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is very cool. Congrats to him for taking the time for those in need. :asian:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
In my opinion, martial arts are the best method of personal development ever divised. The practice of traditional martial arts allows literally anyone to realize just what they have the potential to do. Very difficult to not believe in yourself when you are developing abilities that very few other people can do.
Case in point: one of our Instructors teaches Tae Kwon Do as part of a private community mental health outreach. His students are primarily victims of physical, sexual, and mental abuse, as well as alcoholic and drug addict families. Granted, he can't save all of them. But the change in many of the ones he does teach is amazing. Children who were previously doomed to a life of low self esteem, suicide, and early pregnancy. Can't imagine where they'd be without traditional Tae Kwon Do.
Well said! :asian:

And Kudos to the instructor who reaches out to those in need of a program like his. Bow to him for me, please. :asian:

OP
Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
Well said! And congratulations to the Instructor in the outreach program.

It is absolutely amazing who we as instructors touch through the MA. I used to teach at a Catholic elementary school....pretty nice middle-upper class families. I had 3 students in 2 years who had to defend themselves-all girls under age 12.

Miles

OP
Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Spookey said:
Dear All,

I was first introduced to Taekwon-Do by my Father who was first an instructor of the Oh Do Kwan and later an international instructor for the ITF.

Having spent my life learning the combat portion of TKD from my father, and the way of life portion through a better understanding of my own spirituality, I have become a more rounded individual.

Spookey
Welcome to MT Spookey.

Was your father in the Korean military when he entered the Oh Do Kwan?

Miles

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear Mr. Miles,

Ironically, my Father was an American GI stationed in Vietnam. He befriended the Chief Instructor of the Oh Do Kwan Instructors Group, Sgt. Major Kim Bo Kyum. Training with Sgt. Major Kim for some time (and having had previous experience in Shorin-Ryu), Mr. Kim requested the Oh Do Kwan promote my Father to the level of Oh Do Kwan Instructor. The title of Oh Do Kwan Instructor was granted to my Father by Mr. Hyun Jong Myun (President, Dae Han Taekwon-Do Oh Do Kwan, Jung Ahn Bon Kwan, Seoul Korea)...

He is the only American I have verified as holding rank issued by the Oh Do Kwan as an Instructor (although there may be more)...

Later ni 1975 at the "Radification of the Constitution and Bylaws" for the USTF he was promoted to ITF-II plaque #66 by Choi Hong Hi (personally), in the presence of Nam Tae Hi, Robert Walson, Charles Sereff, and Kong Young Il!

Truly it is my pleasure to train under someone with such experience, just as he was honored to have been accepted into these ranks!

TAEKWON!
SPookey

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Mithios

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ahhh, Hyun Jong Myung, Was Chung Do Kwan before he went with the Oh Do Kwan. Of course the two kwans were connected. Did you ever get to meet him, and is he still alive? Just curious, my linage is O.D.K./C.D.K. also. Mithios

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear Mithios,

Unfortunatley, I am only 26 years old and have not had the opportunity to meet any of the great pioneers of TKD. My father and his memories are all I know of these men other than the corresponding stories of others I have spoken with.

I am however attempting to follow in the foot steps of the example set by those who have paved the roads for us all. I also am a firm believer in the kwan system of old (and the ITF is not the Oh Do Kwan).

So, in being that the ITF of Gen. Choi is no more, and the Oh Do Kwan long ago destroyed, I am now merely a member of the Chang Hon Family!

TAEKWON!
Spookey

Mithios

Green Belt
Reaction score
Spookey said:
Dear Mithios,

I also am a firm believer in the kwan system of old (and the ITF is not the Oh Do Kwan).

TAEKWON!
Spookey
The Oh do kwan is not I.T.F, that is so true! As far as i am concerned the Oh Do kwan was destroyed, and that is a f###### shame. I have recently been looking for a representation of the original Oh Do Kwan symbol, but am having no luck. All i have found is a silver plaque. I would like to find something with the original color scheme. I saw it a long time ago, and i have actually forgotten what it looked like. If i remember correctly it looked somewhat like the Chung Do Kwan symbol. Mithios

Mithios

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just noticed that we both used the word destroyed when refering to the Oh Do Kwan. Interesting!! Mithios

Mithios

Green Belt
Reaction score
A lot of times i have to mention the Oh Do Kwan in the same breath with I.T.F. It sucks, but some people have never heard of the O.D.K. And they are Tae Kwon-Do for christmas sake's!!! Mithios

OP
Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mithios said:
The Oh do kwan is not I.T.F, that is so true! As far as i am concerned the Oh Do kwan was destroyed, and that is a f###### shame. I have recently been looking for a representation of the original Oh Do Kwan symbol, but am having no luck. All i have found is a silver plaque. I would like to find something with the original color scheme. I saw it a long time ago, and i have actually forgotten what it looked like. If i remember correctly it looked somewhat like the Chung Do Kwan symbol. Mithios
I saw the ODK silver or bronze(?) plaque at the Kukkiwon Museum-it is similar to the CDK symbol.

Miles

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, a suggestion, maybe another thread can be started on this new topic? This is has been off the original about teaching Taekwondo. TW

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Miles said:
Why do you teach? What is your motivation?
I recently had a very nice conversation with the owner of the dojang where I teach. He asked me the above question (he knows it is not for the money :)

I teach Taekwondo for the money - - that's why I'm so rich!
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started teaching TKD when my instructor asked me to help with new students, and then asked for someone to start a class on another day (Saturday mornings) intended primarily for children. I really enjoyed it, and started looking for other opportunities - after about 3 years assisting other instructors and teaching a kids' class affiliated with the adult class I was in, I started my own class about 12 years ago.

I started teaching because I wanted to help others learn something that means so much to me - I continue to teach because I enjoy it. As someone else stated earlier in this thread, I learn more from my students than from anyone else - and finding ways to explain techniques to students has broadened my understanding in ways I never would have found any other way.

OP
Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kacey said:
As someone else stated earlier in this thread, I learn more from my students than from anyone else - and finding ways to explain techniques to students has broadened my understanding in ways I never would have found any other way.

This is part of the Um/Yang-a teacher instructs students who teach the teacher.

BTW, Kacey, I love your avatar-Olympic colors et al.

Miles

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Miles said:
This is part of the Um/Yang-a teacher instructs students who teach the teacher.

I learn a lot from my students - for example, in a broader context than MA, I learned that I wanted to be a teacher, which became my career field. In a narrower, MA-related context, my understanding of technique improved radically once I started trying to teach, and more, explain to a variety of students with different learning styles and physical abilities. Also, I have a couple of disabled students (both with cognitive delays, one with cerebral palsy in addition) about perseverance and indomitable spirit, as well as measuring oneself against an internal, rather than external standard.

Miles said:
BTW, Kacey, I love your avatar-Olympic colors et al.

Miles

Thanks - my avatar is my class patch, and the colors represent the belt colors - I guess I never really thought about it being Olympic colors too!

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I will first respond with a quote from an old student handbook :

"OF STUDENTS AND TEACHERS
New students, for whom this book is primarily written, should read this section twice.
The teaching of Martial Arts is not, in this organization at least, a mercenary endeavor. In fact, many of us loose a fair amount of money each year in the process of passing on that which we were taught. Given this, there's really no reason for one of our instructors to accept you as a student. . . no reason except the satisfaction of seeing someone improve themselves because of our efforts. In order for that to happen, the student has to work hard . . . or we both wasted our time.
If you made it into a class appreciating the time being spent on you will give your training a good start. One of many old Chinese sayings you will hear states : " When the student is ready, the teacher will come." Attitude is everything and the greatest instructor on earth can do nothing for a student who is not ready, willing, and eager to learn. Students who are bored, inattentive, loud, disruptive, disobedient, lazy or otherwise do not wish to be here should leave before being asked to do so. If you approach your training trying to demonstrate to your teacher that he or she judged right in accepting you, both of you will gain."

And another, paraphrased from Masutatsu Oyama : " The perfection of character...all schools teaching true karate have this in common, nothing else is significant"

I teach to learn, to give back, to help students be better people and to be a better person myself.

OP
Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
DuneViking said:
In fact, many of us loose a fair amount of money each year in the process of passing on that which we were taught. Given this, there's really no reason for one of our instructors to accept you as a student. . . no reason except the satisfaction of seeing someone improve themselves because of our efforts. In order for that to happen, the student has to work hard . . . or we both wasted our time.

I can really relate to this quote. :) I am not a professional instructor in the sense that I make a living teaching TKD. I have a pretty decent day job I spent years working towards. I don't know if TKD pays enough to even cover my gas to get to and from the dojang. I do know TKD will never reimburse me for my trip to Korea. Nevertheless, I would not trade my position teaching my students for anything. And my investment (if that is the right word) in my own knowledge and training does not have a price either. I am truly blessed.

DuneViking said:
If you approach your training trying to demonstrate to your teacher that he or she judged right in accepting you, both of you will gain."

I am a reflection of my teacher. My students are a reflection of me. I would never do anything intentionally to put my teacher in a bad light and really stress this to my students as well. I have no say as to who walks through the dojang door and agrees to train. I do have a say as to what they will learn and how they will learn it though.

DuneViking said:
I teach to learn, to give back, to help students be better people and to be a better person myself.

I bow deeply to you!

Miles

Latest Discussions