Why do you teach Taekwondo?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
I started because a couple of my friends were already in the class. Also, I wanted something physical to do in between the wrestling seasons in high school. Obviously that has passed now but my newly rekindled flame inside wants that next degree awfully bad. :)

Well, yeah, that too, but that's my last one. God willing. TW

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Well, yeah, that too, but that's my last one. God willing. TW
It's within grasps and can almost taste it. However there is much, a huge amount left to be learned.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
It's within grasps and can almost taste it. However there is much, a huge amount left to be learned.

Well, you are young, I'm sure you will and even go beyond. Keep the flame and your knees.:D

I would be happy just teaching if I can keep up the physical end to be able to show technique. And I want 2nd dan too of course. TW

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My Instructor has said Tae Kwon Do is like a drug. You literally get addicted to it. I practice and teach because I must. Not in the sense that I'm forced to, but in the sense that my life would not be the same without it.
My wife doesn't practice martial arts, and has a Western mentality toward practice. She thinks of it as just a physical activity that I do. But serious students know that they almost literally must practice or teach or their life is incomplete.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
My Instructor has said Tae Kwon Do is like a drug. You literally get addicted to it. I practice and teach because I must. Not in the sense that I'm forced to, but in the sense that my life would not be the same without it.
My wife doesn't practice martial arts, and has a Western mentality toward practice. She thinks of it as just a physical activity that I do. But serious students know that they almost literally must practice or teach or their life is incomplete.
Sir! Very good post. Every time I go to the studio soemone in this household says "you gotta go again!". The wife doesn't like it but I still go because I love to bang on the bodies in the studio and teach youngsters so that one day maybe they could save themselves from some idiot. Until I can no longer stand and drag my @ss to the studio I will continue to go. :asian:

Dr. Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
Yeah! Taught a good 2hr. class on kicking and striking last saturday. Your old moldly butt would have been tired when we were done.
:jedi1:
I ain't moldy! I got a clean bill of health just the other day. I can take your workouts, and still lock you up!:whip:

OP
Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
I agree-it is addictive. I get really cranky if I go more than 2 days without training-like on vacations.

My wife also is a non-martial artist and since she does not understand that I have to train, she thinks it's just another one of my eccentricities.

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses.

Miles

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dr. Kenpo said:
I ain't moldy! I got a clean bill of health just the other day. I can take your workouts, and still lock you up!:whip:

You're a funny dude! Whenever I get down to TX you're buying at the chinese place but not before our workout in your garage!
:uhyeah:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since teaching taekwondo is really the topic here hmmm, Jason, Castillo, or Dr. Kenpo, what do you like most about teaching? I love it when the lightbulb goes on and all of a sudden they start to get the technique. TW

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK, :whip:

Personally speaking I am able to put together many numerous combinations together. It depends upon the opponent I'm sparring as to what I may need/use. I started teaching classes again and I like when I can get the students to quit tinking about 1 movement or maybe 2. The last class I taugth I showed them how to chase after an opponent by putting a 4 kick combo. together. It's nice to see they are starting to get the idea of not only a roundhouse but this & this & maybe this. It started the ball on broadening their horizons.

OP
Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
For those who've responded (and those who have yet to), do you teach Taekwondo as a martial art or a martial sport?

Miles

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
FWIW, I teach the martial art. trying as best as I can as it was taught to me. I don't know enough as the sport, as in sparring competition, to teach it. TW

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Martial art first and foremost. However, after black belt, if a young student is interested in learning Olympic-style technique, I will work with them and also bring in other students who practice that.

OP
Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
Martial art first and foremost. However, after black belt, if a young student is interested in learning Olympic-style technique, I will work with them and also bring in other students who practice that.

MichTKD-do your students compete in USTU or Olympic-style tournaments?

I am involved with a group of instructors across the State and we get together almost monthly to work with students specifically interested in tournament training.

Miles

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We have many black belts who focus on Olympic style. However, we do not compete in USTU-sanctioned tournaments. Our students compete in our annual tournament, as well as some international tournaments between our organization and others in South America, Europe etc. These, however, are privately run. No governing body officially sanctions them, although they are run according to WTF rules.
I want to say our team goes to some tournaments sponsored by the AAU, but I'm not sure since I am not involved in it. The coach would know.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I do know that during the 2000 Olympics in Sydney, our Grandmaster (Tae Zee Park) attended the TKD competition as a personal guest of the organizing Instructor of TKD Australia, who is a friend of his. I don't his name off the bat.

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear All,

I was first introduced to Taekwon-Do by my Father who was first an instructor of the Oh Do Kwan and later an international instructor for the ITF.

Having spent my life learning the combat portion of TKD from my father, and the way of life portion through a better understanding of my own spirituality, I have become a more rounded individual.

Now, for the past many years I have lived in and around poverty stricken communities. Understanding the need for self confidence in order to overcome the failure with which these fine people have become accustomed, I see TKD as a wonderful means for self developement.

Also, where as most people that learn TKD will never need to defend themselves, the individuals that I incounter have a higher than average probability of a violent incounter.

Just as the Hwa-Rang were children of nobility, so to can the children of the ghettos become nobile in the eyes of God and their communities!

TAEKWON!
Spookey

Latest Discussions