Why do you teach Taekwondo?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I recently had a very nice conversation with the owner of the dojang where I teach. His background is Tang Soo Do, mine is strictly Taekwondo.

He asked me the above question (he knows it is not for the money :)

I think it is healthy to periodically question the motivation behind doing things. I enjoy training and teaching and hope that I am making my students' lives a bit healthier. I also believe that they are learning something valuable. Even if they never have to defend themselves, they have the confidence they can do it.

Why do you teach? What is your motivation?

Miles

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope to teach more than I have so far. Its been sporadic but finally have a small following on one night of all ages-family classes. I wanted to teach women to encourage more to come into my dojang. While I still want to teach women, I'm not so sure about teaching in this dojang much longer. I am the oldest and highest ranking woman, therefore a role model. I feel like I'm the glue that holds the women together anyway. I wish they would all find their inner strength to overcome obstacles. But in looking back, each one was given an "out" in breaking so therefore the toughness is not there. Most are passed no matter how mediocre they are or how little they practice. One -three times (hours) a week is all that is necessary to eventually become a black belt. I don't think they even trained for their breaks - just got to their tests and couldn't do it. So, I am not sure that the element which I got out of Taekwondo, the empowerment, is something I can give them. I'm not sure they would even stay in it for exercise if they had to go by themselves. (I do) I think a certain "drive" has to be there. But since, I am not the master, owner of the school, I can only lead by example. Not getting many followers down that path though. Most opt for the easy way and are told it is "harder", so therefore believe and don't want to look at the facts.

I tried an stretching class this week. I offered it for free, three days, different times. I only got 5 people. My flexibility improved alot though, from from all the extra stretching. After watching a BB test with absolutely terrible flexibility shown, I hoped to show everyone the way to help themselves. If there had been enough interest, I would have had more classes.

Maybe its just a sign of the times, people want easy. I grew up in Nebraska and had it hard. The work ethic was different then too. So I grew up as an overachiever rather than risk underworking. I think the majority of martial artists on this forum are overachievers too from reading their posts about preparing for tests or asking questions about everything that is involved with their art. And those that have the passion to find this forum, have found themselves, and the empowerment that comes with martial arts. But I have come to the conclusion it isn't in my power to "teach" passion. TW

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have several reasons for teaching:

1. Because my Instructor asked me to. The original Instructor had work conflicts that made it difficult to teach consistently.

2. To pass along the technique I was taught by my Instructor to a new generation. The most common complaint I hear from many students, especially the ones where I used to practice, is that the quality of technique and teaching is going down. I have determined this will not happen with my students. As much as possible, I teach them as I learned, back in the "Golden Days" of the organization.

3. I am so brilliant and have so much to offer, how could I not teach? Someday I hope to open my own college just for that purpose.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To enlight others in the Art of Tae Kwon Do, and to help with my Childerns goals in life... Oh Yea to Party with the best of you guys.

Dr. Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
I have several reasons for teaching:

1. Because my Instructor asked me to. The original Instructor had work conflicts that made it difficult to teach consistently.

2. To pass along the technique I was taught by my Instructor to a new generation. The most common complaint I hear from many students, especially the ones where I used to practice, is that the quality of technique and teaching is going down. I have determined this will not happen with my students. As much as possible, I teach them as I learned, back in the "Golden Days" of the organization.

3. I am so brilliant and have so much to offer, how could I not teach? Someday I hope to open my own college just for that purpose.
Ya know, I ain't real thrilled with you taking idea # 3 from me. I already had that copyrighted!:whip: :)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dr. Kenpo said:
Ya know, I ain't real thrilled with you taking idea # 3 from me. I already had that copyrighted!:whip: :)

Yeah, well don't forget there Dr. that he is in Michigan and you are in Texas :idunno: ! There's room for both of you.

Dr. Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
Yeah, well don't forget there Dr. that he is in Michigan and you are in Texas :idunno: ! There's room for both of you.
Watch it, before I go backfist ya!:whip:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Especially since you both supposedly teach Kenpo (aren't you KENPO!!!) and you're in a Taekwondo thread. :rolleyes: TW

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, sorry about that, thanks for the clarification. TW

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Especially since you both supposedly teach Kenpo (aren't you KENPO!!!) and you're in a Taekwondo thread. :rolleyes: TW

Yep, 2nd black here before I moved into Kenpo! 5yrs. worth of TKD and sometimes I drop by on my former instructor and teach some classes for him from time to time. Just before thanksgiving last year I tested someone for black in his school. I'm not out of the loop. :rolleyes:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dr. Kenpo said:
Oh yeah!:jedi1:

Yeah! Taught a good 2hr. class on kicking and striking last saturday. Your old moldly butt would have been tired when we were done.
:jedi1:

Kamaria Annina

Green Belt
Reaction score
That's similar question to the question my instructor asked me, "Why do you train?" It was a question similar to yours, to invoke thought. Truly, at the point I joined I didn't really know, but I do know, after doing it, this was my passion.

And because of that, I want to perhaps give others that passion. I'm willing to teach them anything I know because of the influence of Tae Kwon Do has brought unto me.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I doubt there is one person alive that keeps the same reasons for starting as they have after being in it for a while.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
I doubt there is one person alive that keeps the same reasons for starting as they have after being in it for a while.

I think I know what you mean, but that is not an absolute. I started it for exercise, more fun than a treadmill, and very well may end up, later at 70 years old, doing it just for fun exercise....or maybe just yoga. :D TW

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started because a couple of my friends were already in the class. Also, I wanted something physical to do in between the wrestling seasons in high school. Obviously that has passed now but my newly rekindled flame inside wants that next degree awfully bad. :)

Latest Discussions