Why do students leave?

OP
R

Rob_Broad

It is a given 90% of all students quit in the first 90 days. The reasons are numerous, it may interfere with whatever else they want to do, family commitments, it wasn't what they thought it would be, and yes no hot women in the school.

The question I wonder about is what made the ones who stayed stay.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rob_Broad
It is a given 90% of all students quit in the first 90 days. The reasons are numerous, it may interfere with whatever else they want to do, family commitments, it wasn't what they thought it would be, and yes no hot women in the school.

The question I wonder about is what made the ones who stayed stay.

Rob,

Maybe it was a poor assumption by me, yet I assumed that we were discussion the long(er) time student. Meanng one who had stuck for a while and a few belts. Showed some dedication and then . . .

:asian:

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

I say students who leave in the first 3 months is because they give up, they dont understand practice makes perfect. Money is also an issue, average cost is 80$/month and we barely train becuase we have work and/or school. Theres lots of reasons for leaving but those are common ones

OP
Y

yilisifu

I would say that the main reason newer students quit is because it isn't what they expected; it's tough training and they have to sweat clear into their socks.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by fist of fury
From what I've seen people don't realize how much hard work you have to put into it. Once they see it takes dedication they seem to give up many people aren't willing to put in the extra work out of the classroom. Which is what it takes to really get good at M.A. they want thier skill handed to them they don't want to work for it.

I believe the monetary issue plays a role in why students give up training in the MAs, but,
more importantly I agree with fist that training in the MAs is really hard work if you practice at a good school. Once some students realize what they signed up for, they decide its better to opt out then put in the strenuous, sweaty labor that's required.
I've seen it personally numerous times since I've been training in the MAs... :asian:

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would say

Money - School costs
Instructors/Students - relationship problems
Better schedules
Interest in other arts

those are my opinions, if you go to a martial art school for babes? thats the wrong idea, and if you quiet because there was no babes, then you shouldn't even be takin martial arts, cuz martial arts is not about the babes, martial arts is for ur protection of life basically. it helps protection in many ways (self-defense, defend others, teach others, health, mature mind if you are taught by a good teacher) etc...:asian:

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

What about advanced rank students? Why do they choose to leave after so long? I left my first instructor several months after I got my 1st degree black. Does that make me a quitter? Or does that mean I was only concerned with rank? NO!

I'm still in the same association under a different instructor (I didn't move to a different city either). Does that make me a traitor or a turncoat? I don't know. I simply didn't agree with certain things that were going on at my old school, and that is why it is now exactly what it is...... my old school.

OP
C

chufeng

It's the Ed Gruberman syndrome...

"Why do I have to stand in this silly stance for 3 minutes?"
"When do get to do the Bruce Lee side kick?"
"Are you going to show me the real stuff anytime soon? What do you mean this IS the real stuff?!!!"

chufeng

OP
C

chufeng

As far as why senior students leave...that has more to do with politics...I don't like politics and have lost many a YiLi brother to the whims of the "newly promoted black belt syndrome;" those who all of a sudden decided that the teacher didn't know enough, or those who thought their way of teaching would be better...

They didn't last long after they left.

Others simply don't set a goal beyond that first black belt promotion..."OK, what's next??? Oh crap...I guess I'm done..."

chufeng

OP
S

SRyuFighter

I think the reasons why students leave is because they don't walk into the school and become Bruce Lee in a day. They realize that they have to stick it out for years to become great and they dont have the dedication necessary to do so.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

I think most people have a goal when they start any art and that is to get a black belt in it.
Once that goal is accomplished many figure they have “got it” and leave.
If you look at the Japanese word for black belt “sho dan” it means first level………or beginning…….not the end.

Most of my students quit because they don’t like the amount of contact we do. That might sound macho on my part but it’s not meant to be since it really isn’t that hard.
Yiliquan1 trained with me and didn’t have any problem with it.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by RyuShiKan
I think most people have a goal when they start any art and that is to get a black belt in it.
Once that goal is accomplished many figure they have “got it” and leave.
If you look at the Japanese word for black belt “sho dan” it means first level………or beginning…….not the end.

Yeah! What you said!! I've seen a lot of students just quit/drop out after they've earned their first dan/degree BLACK. In reality, first dan is really just the beginning of one's MA training... :asian:

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think that students mostly leave schools because they think that the "other system" is the thing to be doing. People always think the grass is greener on the other side, but the grass is green where you water the grass.

Peace,

OP
S

stacks

I think that when people start they do not realize the amount of disipline (actually getting up and going to the dojo) that it is required to be a successful martial artist, they want that belt but do not want to work for it. Like the guy at work who does the least amount of work in the most amount of time (wants that pay check but doesn't want to work for it). then there is the cost of being a student, however they should have thought that out before the signed up. then again the martial arts is not for everybody, some people may be doing some soul searching and thought thay would enjoy it and found it is not what they thought it would be (the wannabe). either way when they do quit is really is a loss for them
:sadsong:

stacks :karate:

OP
M

membru

hi and excuse me for "jump in"

i also leave a dojo, and a want to ask you something

martial arts = exercises and weapons skills ? i say no coz a lot of instructors in our days don't teach as well, responsibility and spirit of martial arts.. where, if anybody can tell me, you can learn about knowing yourself and others as well?
please don't tell me " this is not true, our teacher told us about, not to use our skills to do harm and etc "

what good to know how to punch, when you are not aware of the world around you? where is those exercises for your mind, spirit..? they said when you have 5 dan or over... ha ha.. poor them

for me martial arts it's all that my body can do to help me evolving, that include mind, spirit and body..

when a teacher, a good teacher (i would say skilled teacher) said to us when i'll give you the black belt, if you leave me for your own dojo, i will come and kick you in front of your students.. make me sick :(

hard to find a good teacher ! soo many and poor quality.. money and as many as black belts with dans continuing from his belt on his leg and a few meters back..

just my two cents.. :asian:

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I required several students from across the street from me. They used to study ATA tae kwon do. Their reason for quitting.

Being charge way to much for water down martial arts, was their main reason.
Every activity they had to pay some kind of fee.
The equipment they had to use could only be ATA equipment and they charged out the *** for it also.
They required contracts where you would be locked in for a year or two.
tournaments where also required.
The cross training they did sucked.
Bob:asian:

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
i think students leave for a number of reasons

1 crap instruction, instructor only a basic instructor not a master of the style

2. techniques which look good under controlled training which the student finds that dont work in the street, non realism

3. the student wakes up

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by moromoro
i think students leave for a number of reasons

1 crap instruction, instructor only a basic instructor not a master of the style

2. techniques which look good under controlled training which the student finds that dont work in the street, non realism

3. the student wakes up

Those are some, certainly. But it's not always due to bad instruction. It may also be that the student just isn't really interested in what that instructor is teaching ... even if it is legitimate and excellent.

Mike

Latest Discussions