Why do students leave?

G

GouRonin

From another thread.

Just curious as to why people think that students leave where they are at and go to new schools/teachers/arts?

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since I trained on a U.S.A.F. base, it was because people had to leave.

Cthulhu

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
WHen I was a Student of Hapkido, after 2 years, I didn't feel I was "Getting It" and after one particularly bad rank test where I felt like I didn't know the material I was being tested on, and I had to take time to think about the techniques before I executed them, I realized that if It was a fight I would have already lost.

Much to my supprise I still "earned" the belt, and I decided that Hapkido was probably not for me. So I moved on.

I would still be with my Original Bujinkan Instructor had he not moved away...

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first 2 schools closed down, the 3rd, I had a monkey on my back. Later my brother-in-law, "ran me off" so to speak. Later My Sifu asked me to quit another art.

1) school financial
2) partying
3) family issues
4) Sifu did not like other arts

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Generally, it's because the student, for one reason or another, isn't enjoying the training or they're not getting what they're looking for (which may or may not be the same as what they claim they to be looking for in MA).

1. Money - School costs? - if someone really thinks it's worthwhile and what they want to train, then they'll find a way around this (all the worthwhile instructors I've ever met will work with students on this problem)

2. Instructors/Students - relationship problems? - the student ends up not enjoying the training because of the relationship problems.

3. Better schedules? - this is a possibility but, usually, if it's what the student really wants, he/she can make priority changes and manage the schedule (not always possible, of course, but more often than not)

4. Interest in other arts? - if the student completely leaves the school because of this, then it probably means they weren't getting what theywanted in the school

5. My school only had ugly babes! - again, not getting what they want out of the training ;)

Like I said, it generally boils down to the student not enjoying training for one reason or another.

This is why, when newbies ask what they should train in, I tell them, "It doesn't matter. Find an instructor and class you enjoy. Because if you don't enjoy it, you won't stick around anyway. After you get some experience and training under your belt, then you can look around to see if there's another system/art that you might be more interested in."

Mike

OP
F

fist of fury

From what I've seen people don't realize how much hard work you have to put into it. Once they see it takes dedication they seem to give up many people aren't willing to put in the extra work out of the classroom. Which is what it takes to really get good at M.A. they want thier skill handed to them they don't want to work for it.

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by pesilat
Because if you don't enjoy it, you won't stick around anyway. After you get some experience and training under your belt, then you can look around to see if there's another system/art that you might be more interested in."

That's what it boils down to in my book. It's like my instructor
says, "everyone wants to know martial arts, but not
everyone wants to put in what it takes to gain that knowledge".

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk

Exactly. A lot of people claim to want the benefits, but what they really expect is to take a pill and become Bruce Lee.

A lot of people claim to want to learn how to fight. But they don't want to suffer any pain along the way or experience any contact. What they really want (and where they usually end up, if not completely out of MA) is aerobic kickboxing.

This is why I have a belief that everyone, in the long run, ends up with the art/system/style/school/instructor that they deserve. People may have false starts and it may take them years to really find where they belong. But I think that, in the long run, everyone does find where they deserve to be (even if it's out of the MA all together).

They earn their place.

They "reap what they sow."

However you want to phrase it, I believe it's true more often than not.

Mike

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Kirk

My sentiments exactly, lazy turds.:mad:

OP
M

MartialArtsGuy

Two times during my training,(so far) things popped up in life that caused serious financial/time demands, and i had to take an unfortunate break. Both times my teacher told me to stay and train for free untill my situation got better. I could not do that to him, and returned only when things got straightend out.

I think the biggest reason students leave is because they are not that serious in the first place, and were just trying something new.

you know the type who have monday and thursday bowling nights, and tuesday and saturday karate class. That is the biggest reason in my humble opinion. Atleast thats what i have noticed. :asian:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gou,

I have seen people leave for a lot of reasons.

Some for money!

Some for personal reasons/ Boy friend/girlfriend either in or out of class.

Some for EGO, they think they have it all and go else where. ON ther way to creating their own Unique art.

Some for Instructor reasons as in they have learned everything and are the same rank and go else where to continue.

Some leave because Art XYZ is not what they are looking for it is Linear and Hard, and they go find ABC art which is Circular, or vice versa.

Just my thoughts, I am sure most others have expressed ideas very similar if not the exact.

Best Regards

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Since I just quit my dojang, here's why I quit.

1) They charged way too much.

2) I'm in martial arts for self defense, not sport. They lacked in the self defense department big time. I'm not bashing those who like the sport end of it, but it's just not for me.

3) I don't like the "keep it simple stupid" thing. I got bored months ago.

4) they pick people to teach that have no experience and no technique.

5) they didn't allow cross-training or they didn't allow us to attend tournies outside the school's tournies. That's bulls**t. Who are they to try to control my life outside of the dojang?

There's other things, but I won't get into those.

I hope they f**king read this! :mad: :p

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by karatekid1975
Since I just quit my dojang, here's why I quit.

1) They charged way too much.

2) I'm in martial arts for self defense, not sport. They lacked in the self defense department big time. I'm not bashing those who like the sport end of it, but it's just not for me.

3) I don't like the "keep it simple stupid" thing. I got bored months ago.

4) they pick people to teach that have no experience and no technique.

5) they didn't allow cross-training or they didn't allow us to attend tournies outside the school's tournies. That's bulls**t. Who are they to try to control my life outside of the dojang?

There's other things, but I won't get into those.

I hope they f**king read this! :mad: :p

Laurie,

I am sorry to hear about this.

Keep hope, you will find the right school
:)

OP
G

GouRonin

Rich does teach co-ed naked stickwork. Maybe she should see if he's the new teacher for her?
:rolleyes:

OP
J

Jill666

My instructor likes cross-training- if he knows and likes the other instructor and they agree with him. He encourages cross-training in the sense that he brings a friendly party into his school and they teach a seminar there for us.

But oh man- does he NOT like cross-training if we go out and find it for ourselves! I don't know what he's afraid of but I don't care- that's his problem. He knows I attend other schools and doesn't approve- well its my life and money and he's not my dad- I don't really give a $h!t if he approves.

But this kind of mcdojo narrow mindset I think is what causes many GOOD and experienced students to leave. In the lower kyu I think it's more the other reasons.

I have seen good students suspend training for money or priority reasons (baby in the hospital, laid off and can't pay fees) and then return when their life allows.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most leeave my school because they find I don"t give rank away.
"It hurts to do push ups, I can't do sit ups, I'm not learning anything new."
I find that to many people want to say they know a martial art but don't want to get hit or sweat.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, Gou. Where do I sign up for the naked stick fighting thing???? :rolleyes: :shrug:

Anyways, I totally agree Jill.

Tshadow, that's why most people guit, but it wasn't mine. I don't mind push-ups, or getting hit. My thing is, there wasn't enough self defense training, and they "claimed" there was. They promised change (as in adding more), but never happened. If someone was in it for sport, it's a good place to train, but it's not for me.

The master instructor thinks his art (hybrid style of WTF TKD) was the s**t. It's not. If it was, then why are some students cross training without him knowing????? Or leaving?

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by Jill666
My instructor likes cross-training- if he knows and likes the other instructor and they agree with him. He encourages cross-training in the sense that he brings a friendly party into his school and they teach a seminar there for us.

But oh man- does he NOT like cross-training if we go out and find it for ourselves! I don't know what he's afraid of but I don't care- that's his problem. He knows I attend other schools and doesn't approve- well its my life and money and he's not my dad- I don't really give a $h!t if he approves.

But this kind of mcdojo narrow mindset I think is what causes many GOOD and experienced students to leave. In the lower kyu I think it's more the other reasons.

I have seen good students suspend training for money or priority reasons (baby in the hospital, laid off and can't pay fees) and then return when their life allows.

Well said! I agree!

OP
S

Shinzu

i think it can be a combiation of things. for me it was the money i was paying and the instruction i wasn't getting. to me it just didn't add up.

i think most studends are very influenced by their instructors. they will sometimes be lead by the blind. but for those who see the whole picture it is different.

my first school i left was beacause of the money although the training was top notch. sometimes it is unavoidable.

Latest Discussions