Why do students leave?

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
believe me mike and iam sure if you look at the yellow pages in your area and go take a look at some schools i guarantee you will find some very bad instructors (they dont know what really happens in a fight)....

iam sure there is at least one bad instructor in any city

thanks

terry

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
your right mike the student usually has a lack of interest

also i have a question to you and others who have schools

in martail arts mags we now find businesses who guarantee that if you follow there program you will have double the amount of students and also have excellent retention of students.........

how does this work do you have any experience with it

thanks

terry

OP
R

RyuShiKan

The only problem is most “newbees” don’t know what bad instruction is.
My good friend had a guy come to his dojo and told my friend that he could use a back flip in a real fight to escape a punch………..my friend said “OK, I’ll punch you and you do a back flip before I hit you”………….the guy was knocked on his butt by my friends punch…….I FELL on my butt from laughing so hard.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by moromoro
your right mike the student usually has a lack of interest

in martail arts mags we now find businesses who guarantee that if you follow there program you will have double the amount of students and also have excellent retention of students.........

thanks

terry

From what I have heard they are a scam and to be avoided.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

what happend to the guy did he end up learning with your friend??

He stayed for 1 class got some more "education" and then never returned. By the way the guy was talking and asking questions it seems he was more interested in rank.......quick rank to be exact.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
believe me mike and iam sure if you look at the yellow pages in your area and go take a look at some schools i guarantee you will find some very bad instructors (they dont know what really happens in a fight)....

iam sure there is at least one bad instructor in any city

thanks

terry

Absolutely. I guarantee it.

Just pointing out that poor instruction isn't the only reason students leave. :)

Mike

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

thanks

terry

Hmm ... general rule of thumb: "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" :)

I don't know if any of those things work or not. I've never had any experience with them nor has anyone I know.

Some of the "MA Businesss" things are reputable and I have heard of some good successes with groups like NAPMA and EFT. But from what I've heard (perhaps incorrectly), these just offer pointers on things that are usually successful at bringing in students (like kids programs and cardio programs). And they offer advice on student retention.

But there are no guarantees. And anyone offering a guarantee is probably a scam.

Mike

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
quick rank thats another thing some arts give ranks so fast, bujinkan beign one of them how about a 10th dan after only 10years of training...............

I don't know that all of Bujinkan does that. I'm sure there's some variance between schools.

But, also, Bujinkan uses, I believe, a 15 Dan structure. I don't know all the specifics.

But all the Bujinkan BBs that I've met in person are good martial artists. Of course, I've only met about 4 of them in person.

Mike

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by pesilat
I don't know that all of Bujinkan does that. I'm sure there's some variance between schools.

But, also, Bujinkan uses, I believe, a 15 Dan structure. I don't know all the specifics.

But all the Bujinkan BBs that I've met in person are good martial artists. Of course, I've only met about 4 of them in person.

Mike

My good friend of 18+ years got his shodan from Hatsumi here in Japan in less than 8 months.

OP
S

SRyuFighter

quick rank thats another thing some arts give ranks so fast, bujinkan beign one of them how about a 10th dan after only 10years of training...............

Holy Frijolies your kidding! The 10th dan in my system started when he was 18 and is now 88. I think he was awarded his 10th degree 2 or so years ago. How do they get them in only 10 years?

OP
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by SRyuFighter
Holy Frijolies your kidding! The 10th dan in my system started when he was 18 and is now 88. I think he was awarded his 10th degree 2 or so years ago. How do they get them in only 10 years?

"Will that be in Cash or Cheque?" :rolleyes:

OP
G

gman

I would think most people lose interest. How many people join a gym and then only go for a couple months. Plus some probably don't really like the pain involved once they start getting some contact. Just like the almond growers, 'a bruise a week is all we ask'.

OP
D

Daishi

Although I have seen students leave for every reason posted I think the biggst one, at least at my school, is student/instructor/instructor problems.

Here's an example.

Instructor 1 teaches everything completely wrong to the student and runs them through all the requirements for their next belt in a night.

Instructor 2 works with the same student the next day, is told that they know everything, and then the instructor begins to break everything down and teach it right.

At this point half the students either leave because they were in it for the belt anyway and don't want to be told they aren't at a decent level yet. The other half are totally confused because both of these people are instructors and ones teaching stuff completely differently. They then usually stick it out for a while but tire of the problems and also bolt.

In this case it's not the student so much as the instructors at the school. I sad, sad case.

OP
S

Shinzu

students also tend to drop out when they reach that "mid point" in their training. they tend to get frustrated with not advancing fast enough. they have what i call "martial arts growing pains."

OP
J

Jill666

Originally posted by pesilat

Mike

My instructor in Bujinkan (my cousin, incidentally) was just awarded his 5th Dan by Hatsumi last month. He studied Kenpo for years, then Aikido, and settled on Taijutsu. Altogether he has 20 plus experience in the arts, about half being Bujinkan.

I can't speak for anyone else, just from my own experience. I would hate to think of a checkbook buying a rank in the system although I know it happens. My cousin once visited a dojo with a framed Asian- language paper on the wall. It was a menu.