why do some martial artist compare other styles of martial artist?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing is though the first martial art I did was taekwondo which was at a local small town, when I went to college I found aikido and I tried that as well, however I had some aikido students say that "taekwondo is easy" or " taekwondo is not really a martial art cause you can get your black belt easily." and I have had students assume that I was "collecting black belts" but I told them that I am doing martial arts to help my mental emotional health.

So they're ignorant, and it shows in the things they say. That's such a shock!

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
The thing is though the first martial art I did was taekwondo which was at a local small town, when I went to college I found aikido and I tried that as well, however I had some aikido students say that "taekwondo is easy" or " taekwondo is not really a martial art cause you can get your black belt easily." and I have had students assume that I was "collecting black belts" but I told them that I am doing martial arts to help my mental emotional health.
Aikido guy says tkd isn't a real martial art.

In other news Pinocchio says you aren't a real boy.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As someone who takes Taekwondo, my response would be that aikido isn't a real martial art, because every drill is choreographed and you never actually fight.

That might not be the best way to handle that conversation, and I wouldn't recommend doing what I just said, but that would be my knee-jerk reaction.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
20190201_221132.jpg

Latest Discussions