The Social Position as "Martial Artist"

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There have been lots of threads lately about the stereotyping people get about being a martial artist. This made me think, why not embrace this. As a martial artist I think it is my duty to go about using my training for a good cause, without violence, simply rank. In school I am seen as a martial artist, and respected for it, not by ever kicking anyones face in, but by being simply a martial artist. This has, in the past, discouraged violence in my group of friends and simply in my perimiter.

So I would like to hear your views on this idea.

Thank you in advance.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
There's another thread which has essentially this same question going on. I'll try and find a link.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It may be this one, but I'm not sure if that's the one you're thinking of.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't believe that my participation in a martial art automatically puts me on higher moral ground than the average non martial artist. If someone looks at me and thinks that I must be a better human being because I do martial arts, then they will be disappointed. I am human and don't always do the right thing. I'm not a role model, and I don't want to be.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
why not just use the discipline that you learn in the martial arts to become a leader and a student that is respected for their caring ways and positive influence

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
There have been lots of threads lately about the stereotyping people get about being a martial artist. This made me think, why not embrace this. As a martial artist I think it is my duty to go about using my training for a good cause, without violence, simply rank. In school I am seen as a martial artist, and respected for it, not by ever kicking anyones face in, but by being simply a martial artist. This has, in the past, discouraged violence in my group of friends and simply in my perimiter.

Thank you in advance.

So long as you don't confuse "having" character with "being" a character, go for it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I don't believe that my participation in a martial art automatically puts me on higher moral ground than the average non martial artist.

I agree with this completely.

If there is one thing I have learned over the years is that no matter where you go or what you do humans are always humans and it does not make you a better, moral, more responsible, smarter, wiser, nicer or even a better role model if you do or do not take martial arts.

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
I find that many people tend to regard you as slightly wierd if they discover that you're involved in a martial art...

Well, if you look at the way many people who are involved in martial arts behave, you really begin to see why. The dojo politics, and backstabbing, and public badmouthing of other systems (especially when the most people wouldn't know Judo from TKD and probably have never even heard of Silat) turns alot of people off from martial arts.

An even bigger problem is the association of adult martial arts with the percieved "nerd" who wants to fantasize about being able to get back at the bully, conjuring up the image of some nutty 100 pound wierdo talking about how he's going to rip people's eyes out.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, if you look at the way many people who are involved in martial arts behave, you really begin to see why. The dojo politics, and backstabbing, and public badmouthing of other systems (especially when the most people wouldn't know Judo from TKD and probably have never even heard of Silat) turns alot of people off from martial arts.

An even bigger problem is the association of adult martial arts with the percieved "nerd" who wants to fantasize about being able to get back at the bully, conjuring up the image of some nutty 100 pound wierdo talking about how he's going to rip people's eyes out.

Preach on, brother!

There are a lot of practicioners that need the mystical mumbo jumbo that gets assigned to martial arts. I practice my martial art for selfish reasons. I don't go to class to become humble or to become a better person. I don't go for enlightenment. I go to learn the martial art. As far as I am concerned, I don't have any obligation to the general population.

I don't even consider myself a martial artist. I'm just an average guy, trying to learn my system the best that I can.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

There it is! Bingo.

Most people I've met who seem to act "differently" around me can be sumed up as those that percieve me this way, and those that actually think of martial arts this way! In other words, I have been looked down on as a "nerd "and I have been held up as an inspiration for the "nerds".

Everyone else seems to have no issue whatsoever.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To those that know I'm in the MA I am regaurded as a psychotic Karate freak, but when I show up at the studio, I am surrounded by Martial artists that make me feel like a big slacker. I am sure I'm somewhere in between but when I enter into lets say awkward predicaments I would say the even temperedness that you find from training to fight will, in the end, help you avoid the fight.
Sean

OP
Whitebelt

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Great replys all around!
Thank you all, this is proving to be interesting.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Preach on, brother!

There are a lot of practicioners that need the mystical mumbo jumbo that gets assigned to martial arts. I practice my martial art for selfish reasons. I don't go to class to become humble or to become a better person. I don't go for enlightenment. I go to learn the martial art. As far as I am concerned, I don't have any obligation to the general population.

I don't even consider myself a martial artist. I'm just an average guy, trying to learn my system the best that I can.
I agree; what brought me to the Martial Arts is probably part of what keeps me, but if I weren't getting enlightened on the side I probably wouldn't have the motivation to stick with it.
Sean

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score

Thank you in advance.

There are lots of folks out there that would want to fight simply because they know you are a martial artist. I tell my friends, but they also know I am the last guy to want to fight. I also never tell strangers. I dont respect people simply for being an MAist. I respect everyone equally, but simply being an MAist doesnt score extra points in my book. It may be the case with you and I would never try to change it, but it's just not the case with me.

D

Deleted member 40306

To know thy selves... to know thy opponent
I would say it's a benefit if no one has seen your style, seen you fight, or know of your injuries.

suntzu.jpg