Who in your family besides you also study martial arts?

Who in your family besides you also study martial arts?

• No other family members

• One or more of my children

• My parent(s)

• My spouse

• My sibling(s) [brother(s) and/or sister(s)]

• More than one immediate family members [parent(s), spouse, child(ren), and/or sibling(s)]

• Other relatives [uncle(s), aunt(s), cousin(s) and/or grandparent(s)]

• Both immediate and extended family members (combination of 6 & 7)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In many threads, I see mention of several martial artists who have other family members also studying martial arts. Many times the relationships are parent/child, siblings, or married couples. I'm curious to see what the percentage are of those on MartialTalk with one or more family members studying martial arts.

- Ceicei

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bothof mu sons have studied for years
My wife once studied but likes guns and knives better than hands and feet

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
I study and my son Phyl, age twenty-three, is one of my students.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

R

rainbows

My 10 year old cousin studies shotokan (green belt), but nobody else in my immediate family does. My little sister got a yellow belt in kenpo at 7, but she gave up just before the orange belt grading. Now she plays Gaelic football and she loves it. Each to their own...

An Eternal Student

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My brother studies it as well, pretty much the same stuff as me and for the same period as me.Thing is,, were physically quite different - Im tall, thin and agile, he's big and bulky, so despite doing the same styles we fight completely differently.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and daughter and a few of my nephews are my students. My wifes uncle who I feel very close to received his first colored belt in the '60's from Ed Parker while he was Ralph Castellanos student. In 1970 he received his black belt in Kenpo from Ray Zabega (sp) who he still trains with to this day. They are also Eskrima instructors. They have their own method of martial arts which they just call Kenpo and Eskrima.

M

Martial_Maniac

my sister and I are both students in ralph catsro's Shaolin Kenpo Karate. We have been studying since last April

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So far, it is the three of us currently studying. My two sons (ages 12 and 10) and I all study American Kenpo. My husband took generic karate in high school and one year of American Kenpo with me (after we married). Martial arts just isn't his interest though. My two daughters are too young at this point (ages 4 and 2), but we will see whether they exhibit the same interest later.

- Ceicei

dmdfromhamilton

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My brother began after I did and now after about 6 months he has gotten his 12th kyu yellow belt. Hes 7 years old.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Some cousins of mine study Judo together (a father and his sons). That's it as far as I know. I think another cousin of mine used to study TKD, but I dont remember what he told me.

Lately my sister has been asking me to teach her some self-defense. For some reason, it's more frustrating teaching a family member than a total stranger. :idunno:

R

relytjj

My younger brother and sister practice Shorin-ryu Karate.

Currently I'm trying to get my girlfriend to consider going to BJJ classes with me. Hopefully she finds it to be an intersting alternative to her standard cardio kickboxing stuff.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My daughter now nearly 21 wants to study Kung Fu and is a BB in TKD 1st. Also my son now 18, is a BB in TKD. He studies Airsoft martial arts more these days. Hopefully he will study something else when he gets more situated in life. TW

Karate Dad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The entire family studies American Kenpo. My two 15 year old daughters are Jr. Black Belts. My 10 year old daughter and I are purple belts...we came late to the party! :)

John

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm all alone in my little world. I'm the only one that I know of, of any family member no matter how distant...

lulflo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am a loner
frown.gif
and
smile.gif

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
lulflo said:
I am a loner
frown.gif
and
smile.gif
Well you're not alone there bub... Far as I know I'm the only martialist in my family (unless my oldest brother is studying some form of Judo with the FBI).
My older brother studied some for a bit, exactly what I canna say. I do know that he studied some kind of MA/SD when BT-ing at Ft. McCullen AL and his MOS was an MP.
But far as I know I'm the only long term practioner of the arts.
Of course I could count Ceicei and her kids as my extended "family"... but I'm not sure if that counts. :uhyeah:

Latest Discussions