A larger martial arts community

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was reading another thread where someone suggested visiting other schools as a gesture of goodwill.

Many instructors are suspicious of outsiders to the point that they will never let that wall down.

Some are very open and welcoming, even if you teach in the area.

Me, I like meeting other martial artists and would like for there to be more friendships between schools.

Now, if you just want to say how unrealistc this is, keep it, please. I have heard all the naysaying. One of my instructors who I still consider my instructor is a big naysayer. He's also the biggest trash talker I know and very judgemental. So, believe me. Know it. Got it. That attitude is still not compatible with my goals in life/martial arts.

But I have met with quite a few instructors around where I teach who are open to a relationship amongst martial arts instructors and I love having a community of fellow martial arts instructors.

Of course sometimes I go to schools and am not welcomed, or they just want to give me a history of their teachers and tell me that they are great and try to get me to sign up for classes. But I just take those for what they are and move on.

My question is: If you are a person like me and hoping to create a community of martial artists, or just to be a force moving toward peace and respect amongst martial artists, how do YOU do that? I am hoping to get more ideas. :)

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've always welcomed visitors in our dojo regardless of what style they currently study. The only time we have a problem is when they want to come in to show us how "their" art is superior to ours. Whenever visiting another school I always attempt to train what the school teaches. If I'm asked how what they're doing differs from what I'm doing I'm happy to show the difference in a non-judgmental fashion. If you want to breed good will then you have to show that more than one style of martial art can co-exist on the block.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think a good start would be to invite some of the other instructors to teach a class at your dojo. Ask them to pick on aspect of what they teach an introduce it to your students. If they are willing you may end up with a reciprocal invitation, and from there you might consider having a weekend seminar with various instructors teaching an hour or so segments. I've been to several of these types of weekends and it's always alot of fun and a great way to meet other martial artists and learn a little something as well.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Me, I like meeting other martial artists and would like for there to be more friendships between schools.

You are not alone..

Morph4me said:
think a good start would be to invite some of the other instructors to teach a class at your dojo. Ask them to pick on aspect of what they teach an introduce it to your students

Kind of like our yearly Meet and Greet???

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One thing to try out is to write letters of introductions and have other schools do the same (as you do for them)... letters that state intentions and sending it to the owner/head instructor of the school(s) a head of time so that at least they know that you're not there to kick *** and chew bubble gum.
Other schools can write endorsements for you (and you do for them) so that knowledge of the sincerity of your school's visit is well met. Almost like an association of MA schools but not quite organized to where there's memberships and etc.
Hosting open demos and inviting other schools to join in. It'll make for good publicity and possibly find more students as they can see the differences in the variety of arts and what they can/cannot do.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love training and learning from practitioner's in other styles.
icon6.gif

I think you just cannot get enough of different looks at the
martial sciences. So having people in to teach is absolutely
great. It exposes myself and my students to other systems,
stimulates martial growth and allows practitioners to view
how other systems to do things.
icon14.gif

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me my doors are open to anybody student or instructors. I believe in the MA world we need to show that brotherhood is still alive and well.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyone who wants to visit is welcome. Terry's been to my class, and so have one or two other people from this board; I've been to Terry's school, when it was in his previous location - I'll be seeing his new location in several weeks, when I teach a seminar for him.

Our events - camps, seminars, tournaments, etc. - have generally been open to anyone who wanted to come, as long as they were willing to abide by our rules in competition; trying to change the rules based on the particular participants within a bracket or a round is fair to no one, and will make the referees insane. One of the best times I had at a camp was when a BJJ instructor came and taught basic grappling; at the same camp, the head of another TKD organization came to teach several session as well, which provided some great insights from someone with a different perspective. At one of our tournaments, the womens' senior black belt (III and IV Dans) patterns division was won by two women from different organizations - and neither of them was from our organization. It gave us yet another perspective on what we are striving to attain as martial artists.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My question is: If you are a person like me and hoping to create a community of martial artists, or just to be a force moving toward peace and respect amongst martial artists, how do YOU do that? I am hoping to get more ideas. :)

A buddy of mine who's active in the Filipino Martial Arts contacted all the FMA instructors and afficionados he knew, and set up an FMA "Friendship Gathering" and potluck picnic at local park. Four of the instructors gave free demo/workshops. It turned out so well that we set up another one about six months later. It was better attended than the first and we all had a good time. And the food was excellent!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I learned a great deal about this type of co-operation from the karate instructor at the community center where I worked & later taught TKD. When we first talked, I knew who he was, but he didn't know I trained. When he found out, he was very excited & asked me to help him with his students. He said, "as a karate guy, I've got good hand techniques. I need a TKD guy to teach my students how to kick." A week later, I was helping him with his class. 4 months later, I was running my own TKD program at the same place that he was teaching karate.

My friend befriended a guy who ran a school 50 miles away from us. The 2 karate schools got together for a friendly sparring competition. The 2 sensei agreed that each would openly & freely compliment the other's students. They were very intentional about this. It was one of the best days I can recall in my long MA career. It wasn't about status, power, money or control. It was about good, hard, training amongst friends.

My friend is very much the sort of guy who relies a lot on people's attitude. Meaning, if he gets along with them off the mat, he wants them on the mat as a training partner. An after 40+ years in the Arts, he is still willing & able to learn from folks.

I hope to never loose that vision that he cast for me.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have no problem with a student of another style visiting, as long as the motivation is right. If he is simply curious and trying to expand his horizons, that's fine. If he has a big head and wants to prove his superiority, that's a problem. He'd better have good manners and etiquette too. We had outsiders (TKD and non-TKD) visit out school in years past, and they often had big heads and bad manners. They always paid the price in sparring and never returned.
For the record, I would never have a visiting student from another style teach my students unless I specifically brought them in for that purpose. Too easy to develop bad habits.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have found that in my area, the issue isn't a lack of trust so much as that everyone wants you to sign up in order to do anything but sit and watch.

Having said that, HKFuie, I think that participating on boards such as this one is a good start on a broad level. On a local and in person level, just showing interest and being polite (which you seem to do from what you say) is probably the most important thing. People enjoy showing off what they know and sometimes are interested in what others know, so just showing interest can open the door. Asking to come and train for an evening, if done with humility and politeness, is a great way in my opinion.

Best wishes!

Daniel

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I personally do not have a problem with a student from another school visiting with us for a class, the only caveat, I think, is they should inform their instructor. I do not mind my students visiting another school, the same caveat applies.

In my area all the school owners are aware of each other. I am good fiends with one of the instructors from another school in my town.

I think the school owners should have a certain camaraderie with each other, and keep in communication with each other as well. For example, School jumpers- Now don't get me wrong, I think the student should have the right to attend the school of their choice, and during the coarse of their training change their mind on which school is best for them.

But to hop back and forth is not good!

Also having a good relationship with other school owners in you are is great because if a student has beat you out of money, chances are they may also stiff the other schools.

When someone comes to me from another school and wants to join mine- I always ask, Why? If there is a problem they are experiencing with their instructor, I always tell them its best to try and work it out first.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score

i've found that in my life at least, the loftiest goals are best accomplished by smaller efforts rather than grand initiatives. for instance, i encourage my students to share what they've learned from other styles, i try to never make sweeping negative statements of other styles (though some generalizations are necessary), & rise above petty politics that other practicioners or schools may try to draw us into. the last one is the hardest for me because we do practice a competitive art & an excess of pacificism isn't really compatible with what we do. that said, so far taking the high road has always served us well so far.

speaking of being a competitive school, far too many competitive schools try to impart lofty, sometimes difficult, concepts of of budo or eastern philosophy that may not be readily accessible to western students. there's not anything wrong with those ideas, but they shouldn't overshadow basic sportsmanship. my guys all know that i do not want them talking trash, fighting outside of a competitive environment (or self-defense), making excuses when they lose, or carrying any grudges once it's all said & done. these are ideals that should have been imparted in some degree in grade school recess, & are generally pretty accesible to everyone who comes in my door, whether they are a casual student or an MMA jock that i have to convert just a little bit.

jf

zeeberex

Green Belt
Reaction score
I personally do not have a problem with a student from another school visiting with us for a class, the only caveat, I think, is they should inform their instructor. I do not mind my students visiting another school, the same caveat applies.

In my area all the school owners are aware of each other. I am good fiends with one of the instructors from another school in my town.

I think the school owners should have a certain camaraderie with each other, and keep in communication with each other as well. For example, School jumpers- Now don't get me wrong, I think the student should have the right to attend the school of their choice, and during the coarse of their training change their mind on which school is best for them.

Also having a good relationship with other school owners in you are is great because if a student has beat you out of money, chances are they may also stiff the other schools.

When someone comes to me from another school and wants to join mine- I always ask, Why? If there is a problem they are experiencing with their instructor, I always tell them its best to try and work it out first.

The school I train with currently (Ninpo) shares the facility with a kali/arnis/kun tao group, and in weekend seminars we've had visits from local judo guys, and personally the kali group is open to having us train with them and vice versa and some of our guys train with an aido guy, and one of our senior students is also a MMA'er who shares with the rgoup his "other art" whenever someone asks. It would be great if every school had this openess and eclectic nature.

zeeberex

Green Belt
Reaction score

The flip side of that is that if the instructor is really not comfortable with his students training or visting someone else or having visitors, what does that say of them?

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It depends on what his reasons are. My instructor though that most, if not all, the schools in the area were subpar. He didn't care if we experienced karate or whatnot, but he wanted us to do so at a reputable school. There weren't any in our area.
Likewise, I was never forbidden to visit other TKD schools. But more often than not, our instructor knew who the teacher was (especially if he was Korean), and would tell us to not waste our time.

Traditionalist

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This topic is very unusual to me. My original school is in Korea, with my grandfather being my teacher since I was small, and this concept of visiting schools I have never heard. My teacher never minded someone on coming in if they were interested in joining class and wanting to talk to him but to have another instructor come in was never done. Even his friends that were instructors waited until he was on his personal time. This is so knew. I will have to ask him about this.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dunno if TKD schools do things like this... but in our art there are lots of seminars, so we go, and meet guys from lots of schools. Its good.

Latest Discussions