Martial Arts Aren't Magic

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i am very interested in this idea. can you elaborate on this?
Sure...

For me, the majority of my friends, in fact every single one from undergrad, except one notable exception, are non-MA type guys. There's a group of about 20 with whom I stay in contact on a semi-regular basis, only one of them is a martial artist, a lifetimer like me. Most of the others have never even dabbled.

I compare that group, whom I know very well, I think, with my guys/gals I train with on my mat, and on other mats over the years, again, with whom I stay in semi-regular contact.

The MA, to a person, uniformly believe that every single person on the planet should learn martial arts, and learn it at the truly persistent level of going to class, if not every day, at least 3 times aweek, so as to have the life and survival skills such training delivers, even to the uncoordinated, ungainly, weak and slow.

The non-MA type people don't see much value in it, other than trotting out sayings like, "Yeah, that'd be great that one time in my life when I get in a fight or something. But." Or, "I've got a concealed carry permit, that's how I'd do it. Why sweat so much?" Like that. This difference is what I was talking about, put in one frame of reference.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure...

For me, the majority of my friends, in fact every single one from undergrad, except one notable exception, are non-MA type guys. There's a group of about 20 with whom I stay in contact on a semi-regular basis, only one of them is a martial artist, a lifetimer like me. Most of the others have never even dabbled.

I compare that group, whom I know very well, I think, with my guys/gals I train with on my mat, and on other mats over the years, again, with whom I stay in semi-regular contact.

The MA, to a person, uniformly believe that every single person on the planet should learn martial arts, and learn it at the truly persistent level of going to class, if not every day, at least 3 times aweek, so as to have the life and survival skills such training delivers, even to the uncoordinated, ungainly, weak and slow.

The non-MA type people don't see much value in it, other than trotting out sayings like, "Yeah, that'd be great that one time in my life when I get in a fight or something. But." Or, "I've got a concealed carry permit, that's how I'd do it. Why sweat so much?" Like that. This difference is what I was talking about, put in one frame of reference.
I've seen a similar difference. There are the folks who want everyone to join them, and the folks who seem fascinated but would never be interested in training. A small population seems to exist between the extremes.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sure...

yes, but, if every one learn martial arts, then any advantage you get from learning ma is cancelled out,

we get a lot of one, two three night newbies, they last as long as it takes them to realise that this is a years long commitment and not a quick fix to their self defence concerns.

the most amusing are the ones who think that they are tough and its a walk in the park this Ma stuff, they suddenly realised they are slow and weak and unco ordonated and rather than work on that, they can't live with the reality and go and do something else that doesn't knock their self esteem

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
yes, but, if every one learn martial arts, then any advantage you get from learning ma is cancelled out
Not really. If everyone studied martial arts, we'd have a LOT less violence in the world because of the discipline and self-control they would learn. My $0.02 worth....

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not really. If everyone studied martial arts, we'd have a LOT less violence in the world because of the discipline and self-control they would learn. My $0.02 worth....
No because not all martial artists are non violent people and some have no discipline or self control. There are thugs and scum bags in every walk of life, martial arts included

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Absolutely. I mean, what could be more "deadly" than replacing a gun with a banana??

Way ahead of you, bro.

HallowCopCrop.jpeg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no, its not, at least good behaviour as defined by societies norms can be learnt, if you want to learn that is, bad behaviour, the laws of the jungle is quite natral
Agreed. Just because behavior is learned, doesn't mean people can be taught - they have to make the change for themselves.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
no, its not, at least good behaviour as defined by societies norms can be learnt, if you want to learn that is, bad behaviour, the laws of the jungle is quite natral
Babies are a blank slate. If they are taught by their parents to show what we call good behavior, they will. If they are not being taught good behavior, then they are being taught bad behavior, usually by example from the parents. Either way, it's learned.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Babies are a blank slate. If they are taught by their parents to show what we call good behavior, they will. If they are not being taught good behavior, then they are being taught bad behavior, usually by example from the parents. Either way, it's learned.
have you ever spent time with a young child, they are,NOT a blank state

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agreed. Just because behavior is learned, doesn't mean people can be taught - they have to make the change for themselves.
to widen it up, lots, perhaps most people who have reached a high position in society, have done so on the back of lying, cheating, fraudulent claims and general ruthlessness. Yet this is the sort of behaviour society considers bad, but also the sort of behaviour that it rewards. Whilst good behaviour, truthfulness, fairness, consideration for others tends not to end up with you in the white house etal.

you have to wonder if teaching your child good behaviour is do them any favours in the long run

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Way ahead of you, bro.

View attachment 21159
When I first saw that pic I thought for a second that it was you. Then I realized it can’t be you, because no one famous is standing next to you.

Edit: Then again, if it is you, who took the pic? Muhammad Ali? Shaq? Trump? Or if it wasn’t a celebrity, did you force them out of the picture?

:)

Latest Discussions