Who in your family besides you also study martial arts?

Who in your family besides you also study martial arts?

• No other family members

• One or more of my children

• My parent(s)

• My spouse

• My sibling(s) [brother(s) and/or sister(s)]

• More than one immediate family members [parent(s), spouse, child(ren), and/or sibling(s)]

• Other relatives [uncle(s), aunt(s), cousin(s) and/or grandparent(s)]

• Both immediate and extended family members (combination of 6 & 7)

Results are only viewable after voting.
M

MartialMom

47MartialMan said:
gee....talk about "pressure" vs pleasure
??????

If this was refering to us, nah, I am an individual and the only competitive pressure is what I put on myself. I have taught my children to think the same way, we all derive pleasure and pride from our own individual accomplishments.

Well I have to admit I derive pride about every accomplishment my children make as well.

It is a sense of pride that so many in our family are high ranking black belts and involved in the arts, much like having an uncle who has been a Dallas Fire Fighter for 40 years is also a source of great pride in our family.

Happiness
Sheri

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
My wife studied to blue belt but stopped when my son, now 17 was born.

My son trained to 1st guep but to my eternal dismay stopped training (except for working with me at home holding paddles, shields).

My 11yr old daughter has never trained.

I have a nephew who studied Shotokan karate and achieved 8th kyu before the school closed.

My brothers all trained with me when we were kids-1st guep and 3rd guep.

Miles

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
MartialMom said:
??????

If this was refering to us, nah, I am an individual and the only competitive pressure is what I put on myself. I have taught my children to think the same way, we all derive pleasure and pride from our own individual accomplishments.

Well I have to admit I derive pride about every accomplishment my children make as well.

It is a sense of pride that so many in our family are high ranking black belts and involved in the arts, much like having an uncle who has been a Dallas Fire Fighter for 40 years is also a source of great pride in our family.

Happiness
Sheri
Nah, a mom to be (preganant) has a lot of pressure to begin with and the pressure of testing included. The result were two methods of pleasure-birth and rank. This is what I had meant :)

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nobody but me, as far as I know. My older brother studied for a short time years ago because I was in it and got to green belt before he dropped out. Other than that, I am the only one. I am actually considered a bit of a freak because of it. My family respects my practice but doesn't quite understand it. My mom called it either Judo or Twie Kon Do. I just smiled and went to class.
My wife practices some of the basic kicks because I showed her, but never officially joined a class.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I started in 2000. My nephew started in 2003, but he quit last year. My sister's ex (rumor has it) that he is in Tang Soo Do and has a huge ego (boy would I love to spar him :D ). But as far as I know (for the people I'm actually related to), I'm the only one. My man trains with me, though.

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My sister's family came to visit this weekend for Easter. I just found out that two of my nephews have recently started taking up Japanese JuJitsu! Nice to know it's not only my family involved with martial arts.

- Ceicei

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
My Wife, My father, four nephews, one neice, two uncles, three cousins, at present. Hopefully some day my children. With us it is a family thing.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My sib. Different arts, we both love it, and our family is happy for us but also somewhat perplexed. :)

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am the only one in martial arts in my family.

But I have a daughter that is going to be three in June and I have her doing a blocking set now from American Kenpo. So, I guess I could say, in a few short months, there will be two in my family.

Jamie Seabrook

www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
In many threads, I see mention of several martial artists who have other family members also studying martial arts. Many times the relationships are parent/child, siblings, or married couples. I'm curious to see what the percentage are of those on MartialTalk with one or more family members studying martial arts.

- Ceicei
I'm proud to study and practice next to my wife, and even prouder that she's better than me. :boxing:

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chobaja said:
I'm proud to study and practice next to my wife, and even prouder that she's better than me. :boxing:
I couldn't agree more. My Wife has been My training partner and Assistant Instructor for 5 years. The arts introduced us to each other and has kept us side by side ever since.

The long running joke in our town is that the police won't come to our house on a domestic disturbance call.
icon10.gif

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
My sister has studied Kickboxing on and off and did a little karate before i even started Kung fu! She never stuck to any of it but I have been studying kung fu for 7 years now!

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
searcher said:
I couldn't agree more. My Wife has been My training partner and Assistant Instructor for 5 years. The arts introduced us to each other and has kept us side by side ever since.

The long running joke in our town is that the police won't come to our house on a domestic disturbance call.
icon10.gif
LMAO! Stay together, it would be a messy divorce.. "YOU WANT HALF?? HERE'S HALF THE TABLE! HYAHHHHH!"

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
RBaddorf said:
My wife and I met through the martial arts. Last year we got married at the camp we met at in 2000. :)

Ron
The studio I study in is also ran for Master Rothrock by a married couple. They are just so cute.

Silat Student

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm alone in my family. Some of my cousin's useta take Karate but they went more into sports and ended up dropping it. Sadly they don't even remember most of what they learned. My little brother is 8 right now and is one heckuva scrapper (despite him being tiny for his size)....I figure when he turns 10 I'm gonna make him an "offer he can't refuse".

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I "converted" my brother in law to Hapkido,plus got him hooked on swordwork. I tend to hide from my sister at family get togethers...:whip:

A

Andy Cap

My brother is a 5th dan in Tang Soo Do, My wife is a 4th dan in Tang Soo Do and 4th in Tae Kwon Do. I met my wife in Tang Soo Do. Weeeeee!!