The Dreaded Results

K

Knifehand

As some of you may or may not remember... I posted a thread called Worst Idea Ever = beatings http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21598

anyways... the results from my tournament:

I got a Silver Metal in Forms (Kicho Hyung Ee Bu)
and sparring... Eliminated in the first round.

It was a great learning experience. I learned more from losing sparring that from anything else. The competion is really.... competative.

(just an FYI, the person i fought in the first round was a 4 year orange belt...:rpo: I've been an orange belt for 4 days.)

I learned that i have to work harder and train harder to get...anything, i guess. I learned that I have the drive to accept a win like a loss and to not to be complacent.

but thats all for now...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad you had a good time and hard training will pay off in the end. Work hard and the result will be with you the rest of your life.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I assume he ehad been a orange belt for 4 years, not a 4 yr old orange belt, you always gotta watch out for these ringers

Learn and enjoy

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Knifehand,

Congratulations! You got into the ring and competed-it is not for everyone but everyone should try it.

You came away with the idea that you should train harder-this means you learned from your experience and will make it a positive experience (no one likes to lose...but a person with a winning attitude takes the experience and turns it into something positive)

Keep training!

Miles

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Knifehand way to go! Congratulations :partyon: !

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knifehand, you did pretty well. The tournaments are an art unto themselves. Competition wise, what to do. A great learning experience. And the medals, trophies are just keepsakes to remember it. Joy and sorrow but all good. The hardest competed trophies meant the most though. Good job! TW

OP
K

Knifehand

Thanks... i appreciate the support:supcool:

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, don't worry too much about the sparring knock out. For one thing, being at one belt level for four years is not something someone should be proud of (it indicates stagnation of skills) and the other thing is that, in terms of self defense, most tournament sparring rules are so wildly abstracted as to be completely irrelevant. So getting knocked out in the first round isn't an indication of your 'fighting' skills, or of how well you can defend yourself.

There's a phrase in someones sig at the moment (apologies to the person in question, I've forgotten your name) : If you train hard, you'll not only be hard, but be hard to beat. Take that to heart, and train both harder and smarter.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Congratulations on the medal, Knifehand. I have never been involved in a Martial Arts tournament, I can imagine that it would be pretty nerve racking having all those people watching and critiquing. Good for you for putting yourself out there and doing your best.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Adept said:
Well, don't worry too much about the sparring knock out. For one thing, being at one belt level for four years is not something someone should be proud of (it indicates stagnation of skills).....
My apologies Adept for the heavy editing.

I agree it is not something someone should be proud of to be at a beginner level rank for 4 years. I would add that if this was done on purpose so that in effect you have a black belt-level (or near so) competitor in a novice division, this is pretty cheap way to win at a tournament.

Miles (getting off his soap box now.....)

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Miles said:
I would add that if this was done on purpose so that in effect you have a black belt-level (or near so) competitor in a novice division, this is pretty cheap way to win at a tournament.

Miles (getting off his soap box now.....)
You know, I didn't even consider that. Would someone do that?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats Knifehand!!! :ultracool

Mike

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Adept said:
You know, I didn't even consider that. Would someone do that?

A possible explanation is that the student has started and stopped training several times during that 4 year period, never progressing beyond orange. I'm not saying that is what happened, but it is possible.

Lamont