who have you met?

cashwo

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to train with Saulo Ribeiro this coming Saturday and Rodney "Chico" King is come to my gym July 15-17 for a seminar. I'm very excited about this.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've met a whole lot of famous MA'ers, but only had a real conversation with one. My instructor is good friends with Tony "Satch" Williams, He's a good guy, He isn't the biggest into the movies that I have met but he is a really big guy.

bushi jon

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ed Parker
Bill Wallace
Koiechi Tohei
Chuck Norris
Ray Ramanno
Wild Bill Bauer
Mick Jagger
george dillman(that was a treat);(
:rolleyes:
Dustin Hoffman
Bob dylan

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In the Martial Arts World:

Angi Uezu: I have a great Pic Autographed and he Signed a Uniform. At Kim Murry's Event in Rochester, NY.
David Carradine: Met him in Vagas. He is working with me, Sifu Ming of NYC and Sifu Moore on a Western NY Temple.
Sifu Ming: First Shaolin Monk to make a training temple in NYC.
Frank Dux: In Florida at an seminar
Soke Soto: of San Diego, Ca.

Non Martial Artist.:

I worked Personal Security for Mostly for Weekend Conventions)
Burt Renolds: In Jupiter Beach Fl.
Micheal Dorn: He Signed My Bet'leth he also bought me one of those Phoenix Knives that look like a Klingon Blade as a reminder of our working together.
Nana Visitor: In Rochester, NY
James Doohan: Sat in the Back of his limo for 2 hours waiting for his flight drinking Dewers.. He like Doubles only :)
Lou Gramm: of Foreigner. I sang with him back stage at a benifit he did for one of my students.

Thats just a few... Hoping to meet more soon.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmm....

On the MA side, I'd Tim Hartman, Rick Manglinong, Dan Anderson, Bong Jornelas, Dr. Gyi, Dieter Knuttel and Shishir Inocalia. A few more I can't recall off hand.

Non-MA, Steve Bennett, Walter Koenig, Jason Carter, Patricia Tallman, Peter Jurasik, Stephen First, Bill Mumy, Andreas Katsulas, George Takei, Nana Visitor, Marina Sirtis, Brent Spiner, Marc Alaimo, Denise Crosby, John de Lancie, Siddig El Fadil, Richard Hatch, Wil Wheaton, Andrew Robinson, Armin Shimerman, Tim Russ, Robert Picardo, Garrett Wang, René Auberjonois, Anne Lockhart, John Colicos, Anthony Daniels, Herb Jefferson Jr., Christopher Judge, Gil Gerard, Erin Gray,
Anthony Stewart Head, Felix Silla, Tim Choate, Robin Atkin Downes, Max Grodénchik, Robert Beltran, Jeff Conaway, Anthony De Longis and Chase Masterson. Also a couple of Buffalo Bills when I was doing retail and the team was in the SuperBowl. Most were casual meetings at various cons. I shared an elevator with Jason Carter, and shared a dinner table with Peter Jurasik (and sadly didn't realize it at the time).

Bruce, you should hit Toronto Trek. http://www.tcon.icomm.ca/tt19/ Great place to meet and socialize with the actors. Much different than the Creation crap cons we used to get in WNY. I'll be there this July, got a club table and several ads in their program guide.

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wish I could. That week is My Birthday week and I have some Martial Artist joing me for a B-Day Party in Henrietta. I would like to extend the invite to you if you are available. July 17th 2pm Jefferson Rd. Jefferson Plaza (China Buffet) We get a Back room and Fill up. Mr. Koch has been there Last year and depending on his surgery he will be attending this year, Sifu Moore and Sensi Hutch to name a few Martial Artist that should be there. It's small but a lot of fun.
I used to work a lot of the Creation Cons. I got hired Privately to be the Head Security for the Stars at Riverside Convention Center in Rochester. It was great because I got to be one on one with them not just in the crowd. I went to pick them up at the airport or at their room if they were already in house and coordinated the other security. Creation was good to me. :)
I have worked with 90% of the trek stars and loved it. All except Marina Sirits... (Space Bit*h) and Wil (The Space Brat) :) so they say...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can't make it, I won't be back in the states until late Sunday, but thank you for the invite. Hope it's a good one for you. :)

I agree with ya on Marina (definately thinks she's "all that"). Wil's a nice guy, really appreciates the fans, but it took him a while to get away from being the "wiz kid".

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
jkdhit said:
just curious but who are some famous fighters, martial artists, or actors youve met?

Back in 2000, I went to a video game expo in LA. I nearly tripped over Gary Coleman there. Not much of a celeb encounter. Same expo, I was at one point, almost in the same room with Nana Visitor. Also walked by a booth with two muscular guys being shown the ropes in the first UFC video game. Watched them playing, commenting on how well it matched up etc for a while. Had no real interest in MA at the time, but those two ended up on stage in the Sega Exhibit demoing a few MMA moves etc. Think it was Frank Shamrock and some other UFC bigwig who's name I can't recall anymore.

(So yes, none of these count as times I actually met a celeb.)

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
jkdhit said:
just curious but who are some famous fighters, martial artists, or actors youve met?

ive met jet li, jackie chan, jean claude van dam, chuck norris, and jadi tention
Well... I met Ron Jeremy at a party in Oceanside.. He did some movie martial arts in one of the movies the guys from South Park made, does he count?

OP
Y

Yossarian75

Ive met Rich Mooney, nice guy. Non MA people, I met David Prowse(darth Vader) as a kid, Walter Koenig, Claudia Christian and Sylvester Mcoy(Dr who)

OP
K

kenpochad

i have met the guys from jimmy eat world ,
my wifes brother is the bass player for them there all nice guys.
sorry i know there not martial artiest

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Alright Lets see

Meet Alot of wrestlers
Trish Stratus Very Nice And Hot
Rico wrestler and american gladtor- Nice guy good shape hot wife
Rosie Not that tall
Rikishi seemed all right
Brett THE HITMAN Heart HE WAS RUDE
HBK Shawn Michels Nice
Million Dollar Man Nice
Greg the Hammer old lol
Buff Bagwell Nice
Both Road Warriors Hawk and Animal both Ok
Sting Nice guy
Ahemed Johnson Huge arms nice as hell
Gangerl Realy Nice
Rhino OK
Bastita Sweats Alot
Friends with Zack Gowen "the one leg wonder"
Mark Henry Nice Guy
Edge Funny Man
Stone Cold Steve Austin Hell of a nice guy we talk for like 15 till he had to go
D low Brown Kinda cool but odd
Raven
Balls Machoney Smells Bad
New Jack Cool Man
Devon Duddley Realy Nice
Tommy Dreamer Just all right

There is alot more just can't think of them on the top of my head

Now for martial arts
Steve Nasty Anderson Cool as hell me and him told jokes at a tournament
Richard Plowden Nice guy and close friend
Mike Chat from XMA
Erik Lee
Cane Master Mark from Las vegas

Billy Blanks Just a compelte jerk

Alot more AS well just can't think of them

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Chuck Norris--he is a very cool guy

Ken Shamrock--nice guy

Jeff Speakman--nice guy

Back in my days when I was a fan of Pro-Wrestling ( I still am, I just dont have the time to watch it anymore), I ran into Hulk Hogan, I did the NWO sign and he
did it right back at me, man that was awesome.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
wow, to whoever, thanks for the great comment and bad rep.

lighten up a little.

not a place for religion go to a christian board for that crap

it's obvious someone can't take a joke.

OP
K

kenpochad

i have also met Master Jinheng Li he was a senior member of the Beijing Wushu Team.Martial arts expert in many styles of Tai Chi, Wushu, Kung Fu.
he also done some movies one that i know of with jet li the story around the school is he trained jet li on the chain whip . but i never asked master li if he did or not . but really nice guy

OP
J

jkdhit

wasnt there something in the user agreement about not talking about religion? :whip:

cool to see a lot of you have met some famous people but can we keep it more to martial artists, boxers, professional fighters, etc? :p i dunno, maybe it's just me

Aqua4ever

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I just met Bill "superfoot" Wallace at the W.K.A/I.A.S.K.A training camp. He was such a nice guy, taught stretching and continous and had patience for everyone, also incredibly good people skills and made jokes through the hard drills so they weren't like torture! The kept telling him he was out of time and he'd just ignore them and keep answering questions.
Michael Bernardo, Glen Doyle, the Aversa brothers, and Matt Perrins were there also (I think all Canadian, maybe not as big as the others that people have met but i have vast respect for them all)
Aqua

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
The greatest martial artist I have ever had the pleasure to meet and work out with is Eizo Shimabukuro.

As far as other martial artists not many. I remember watching Billy Blanks at a couple of tournaments years ago.

Other "famous" people I have met:

Dee Snider (Twisted Sister)
Sebastian Bach (Skid Row)
Mick Foley
Johnny Damon
Bronson Arroyo
Mark Bellhorn
Kordell Stewart
Johnny Unitas

Not a long list but was cool to sit and chat with each of them. Kordell Stewart was the least enjoyable of all of them. A real arrogant person.

Rob

USMATCSensei

White Belt
Reaction score
Will Higginbotham--Kempo
Ken Smith--Arnis
Dillman--PP

Had fun with all them. Master higginbotham is my instructor. Master Smith is helping me with stick stuff and well dillman with pp. Hint.. When you see a high ranking MA don't just talk about MA. They get tired of the same Questions over and over. once they get to know you ask but don't be so forward at first. Just my thought. Nice to be here alot of cool post.

Latest Discussions