who?!? for president 2008

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know who I'm voting for but I know one thing..I am not going to vote 'the issues'

'The issues' is just a nice way of saying 'selling out', to be blunt. All the condidates do is decide what stance to take on what issues based on which position will garner the most votes. And then we line up and try to find out which one punches the most buttons on our issues card and the lucky candidate with the most punches wins the prize. He or she is the one who bought your vote..you sold your vote to the one who promised the most things you wanted to hear.

Problem is...there is no character, no integrity in such a situation.

So what happens when an new 'issue' comes up? Will the person you elected make decisions that you would want? Or will they just take the side that gets them the most politcal favor, the most votes come re-election?

And to be honest, I don't have the time or the expertise to really research all the issues anyway to know what I think the right position should be. That's what I pay them for anyone. I don't hire them to come ask me what I want them to do...I hire them to understand the issues and make a decision from conviction and wisdom and understanding.

A candidate who says "vote for me because of my stance on the issues' is saying "vote for me and I'll be your puppet...as long as it's convenient for me"

It may siubd silly but I'm going to vote character. I'm going to vote someone without trash in their past. If they were doing drugs in college them they have no integrity and as such cannot be trusted to fullfill what they promise me not to make decisions based on conviction of what is right, for example. I don't care what their position is, I do care that they arrive at position with effort and conviction and a desire to do what is right. That sorta person I can respect, even if I disagree with their conclusion

OP
Josh

Josh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A candidate who says "vote for me because of my stance on the issues' is saying "vote for me and I'll be your puppet...as long as it's convenient for me"

It may siubd silly but I'm going to vote character. I'm going to vote someone without trash in their past. If they were doing drugs in college them they have no integrity and as such cannot be trusted to fullfill what they promise me not to make decisions based on conviction of what is right, for example. I don't care what their position is, I do care that they arrive at position with effort and conviction and a desire to do what is right. That sorta person I can respect, even if I disagree with their conclusion

that is one of the smartest ways of looking at politics i've ever seen.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
TEN little candidates
All upright folks, you'd think;
One bounced a hundred checks or so
which caused an awful stink;
Said he, "Somebody set me up,
the charges I deny"
That brings our number down to nine
Oh sure, and horses fly.

TEN little candidates
Still in the race somehow;
There's one, we hear, who dodged the draft,
Said he, "Don't have a cow!
I sweated bullets building my political career"
You'd think by now there would be eight;
Get real--they're all still here.

TEN little candidates
Will stay the whole race through;
One took some "contributions"
from an S&L or two;
Said he, "I've been the victim of an underhanded plot!"
In case you wonder where we stand,
We're down to seven-NOT!

TEN little candidates
Still running , if you please;
One has an anti-rights record
that reaches past her knees
Says she, " the Constitution's law,
I'll guard it to my death",
You say we should be down to six?
Oh yeah? Don't hold your breath.

TEN little candidates,
Exploiting any niche,
Says one, " We shouldn't fight a war
to benefit the rich!"
"The soldiers we've sent over there",
he said, "Must soon be gone".
Then votes for a deployment surge.
We're down to five? Dream on..

TEN little candidates,
The cream of politics,
One smeared her foe with campaign ads
'midst other dirty tricks.
Says she, "My staffers are to blame,
they planned it all themselves"
Which brings our number down to four
if you believe in elves.

TEN little candidates,
rehearse their stupid grins,
One does the holy-roller act,
attacking people's sins,
Says he, " Accept me as God's voice,
Go where I point my staff"
You say we should be down to three?
Ha-ha! It is to laugh.

TEN little candidates,
are on the screen today,
Says one, "Two parties aren't enough,
I'll start a new Third Way!
I'll do what's best if you'll just hitch
your wagon to my star"
You say we should be down to two?
Nice try, but no cigar.

TEN little candidates,
to shake the hand of Fate,
One claimed he was "pro-family"
while cheating on his mate,
Says he, "Don't take some bimbo's word,
she's only spouting lies!"
Guess what? The number hasn't changed--
SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE.

TEN little candidates
who will not disappear,
And please don't ask me to explain
how come they're all still here,
We'll find out on Election Day
Which one the voters choose,
Although by now, it should be clear--

Whoever wins, we lose.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
LOL @ Andy. Isn't it against the law to post something like that in Mass.?

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi to the MT friends in New Hampshire and Mass. Looks like we'll have a good thread here for the next 12 months. LOL at the comments on Rommney.

I'm in SC. we'll be in the crosshairs for everybody for a while and if its OK i'll send observations on the crowd as they come thru. Full disclosure: I've done this (politics) professionally, in-state (legislature and statewide offices) all Democrats and have no picks/preferences. We've had visits so far from many in the bunch. and some who decided not to make the run. Mark Warner (former dem. Gov of VA) came last fall for the JJ dinner - good speaker but no fire - pretty sure at that time that he wouldn't do it and he didn't. He still has draw as a viable southern VP possibility.

Rommney and Juliani have come thru. I'm happy to go to their (free) functions and see how they try to hook up w/ SC GOPPERS. Rudy still has pull but we still have T-shirts here that say: "We don't care how y'all do it in NOOO YAWK". He met with small groups of republicans and they like the celebrity and the strong leader aura but seemed uncomfortable with him. Many conservative Baptists have deep reservations about Mormoms in general. The local ministerial alliance refused to let the Mormon elders join a few years back on the grounds that they weren't Christians a tall. The Southern Baptist convention has met with him but there's a mess of unaffiliated Baptists etc. here who don't follow any affiliation and Mormons give them the willies. I figure he'll get cool reception even though he markets his conservative credentials.

McCain wants SC and has lots of support here though he's not as popular as he once was. His locals got slammed by Shrub's team here in 2000 and it was (professionally) fun to watch. I think I still have a copy somewhere of the (unattributed) flyer they distributed suggesting that his adopted daughter, a darkskinned little girl, Indonisian I think, was actually his child by his black mistress.

Went to see Obama yesterday and will see H on Monday. Let you know.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mitt's changed his stance on so many issues so many times, I'm kinda surprised anyone trusts a word he says.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know who I'm voting for but I know one thing..I am not going to vote 'the issues'

'The issues' is just a nice way of saying 'selling out', to be blunt. All the condidates do is decide what stance to take on what issues based on which position will garner the most votes. And then we line up and try to find out which one punches the most buttons on our issues card and the lucky candidate with the most punches wins the prize. He or she is the one who bought your vote..you sold your vote to the one who promised the most things you wanted to hear.

Problem is...there is no character, no integrity in such a situation.

So what happens when an new 'issue' comes up? Will the person you elected make decisions that you would want? Or will they just take the side that gets them the most politcal favor, the most votes come re-election?

And to be honest, I don't have the time or the expertise to really research all the issues anyway to know what I think the right position should be. That's what I pay them for anyone. I don't hire them to come ask me what I want them to do...I hire them to understand the issues and make a decision from conviction and wisdom and understanding.

I have to disagree a little.

If someone is running around talking about a hot subject, then I agree with you for the most part. I am going to look back on what they previously said and voted for in past issues to try to get a good understanding of where they really stand.

There are a few people who will actually stand up and take unpopular views. Those are the types of people I would love to see elected even if I do not agree with the stances they take. If they are honest, they can probably be made to see things as I do if I am correct. But if they have bounced from one side of an issue to another depending on what the voters say, then there is no soul of their own to reach out to.

A person with strong moral convictions and no criminal convictions gets my vote. A person who has made mistakes and owes up to them is more likely to get my vote than someone who keeps denying that what they did was wrong- or worse, lying to the people until proof is given that they lied, a quick apology and then talk of "I apologized, get over it and move on."

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score

There are a few people who will actually stand up and take unpopular views. Those are the types of people I would love to see elected even if I do not agree with the stances they take

That's exactly what I said :)

Taking an unpopular stand for the sake of conviction is something I can support and respect, even if I disagree with the stand

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's exactly what I said :)

My bad. I thought you were saying that you would ignore any talk or stances on issues. I happen to think that if someone is consistent with the stands they take, even when it is unpopular, it is a good look at the charecter you hold in such importance. I tend to look at past issues and see if they jump from one to the other depending on the political wind or stick to a constant, if unpopular, position.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
LOL for the 10 candidates poem :)

blackxpress

Green Belt
Reaction score
In short, the RLM has tapped into fears about women and male castration anxiety and given it Hillary Clinton's face.

Is this the same "RLM" that gave us a black woman Sec. of State? Get serious. Republicans don't hate Hillary because she's a woman. They hate her because she's a total leftoid.

As for who I'll vote for, I'm still holding out for Fred Thompson.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Too early to make a final decision but I like Gulliani for the Republicans and Richardson from the Democrats.

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Democratic primary - Dennis Kucinich, exceptional integrity for major party candidate, genuinely nice guy, very down to earth, used to see him walking around Jacobs field at Indians game, sitting on lawn at fireworks for fourth of July, carrying his stuff, walking too far with the rest of us to get there. Endorsed by Shirley Maclaine and Willie Nelson. No one ever heard of him and he'll bomb in primary, but I'll still vote for him.

If Clinton gets nod from democrats, I'll vote for her. Things were always a little more fun with Clintons in the white house.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kucinich would be my first, second and third choice. He's honest. He works hard. He's smart. And his positions on the issues are rational. But the rich and powerful hate him with such an undying passion that he has about as much chance as a paper tea kettle.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kucinich would be my first, second and third choice. He's honest. He works hard. He's smart. And his positions on the issues are rational. But the rich and powerful hate him with such an undying passion that he has about as much chance as a paper tea kettle.

I feel ya man...

I'd love to see an honest conservative get into office. I doubt thats going to happen any time soon. Funny how the best guys suited for the job tend not to get them.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sheesh, I told myself to stay out of political debates, bad self bad!

And Tellner, that _was_ a joke, holy crap.

Personally, I don't trust the woman, why? for the same reasons you stated in a post following. Anyone who'd go to a state simply to get any way into the white house... well it seemed fishy back then, and even moreso after seeing her lackluster performance. It's clear as day that it was simply getting the pegs on the resume so she could shoot for the top, wether that's 2008 or 2012.

What I want? Is a non-politician. Find me a good honest person, wether they're purple, blue, hermaphrodite or eunich, or even just a guy or gal. I don't want spin, this way or that way, just someone who'd shoot straight. But those kinds of people don't seem to run for office ;p.
What you want does not exist in a political forum. Non- polititions are worthless. They may be uncompromising standard holding stand up individuals, but if they lack the ability to compromise with other people they will be squashed like bugs.
Sean

Latest Discussions