Who can tell me who this is?

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i won't bash a style. wing chun has some good and important tactics, like "stop kicks" and being agressive.
but others use that too und have a way more effective kind of "fistfight". that chain punching stuff looks cool, i trained it too, just as part of martial ART but wouldn't ever use it in a fight, since its just weak. i think wing chun doesn't even has hooks and uppercuts in its curriculum.
watch the fights against the boxers in ip man 2 and 3, these are my favourite film fights of all time, but you see how easy a boxer blocks the chain punches using their double cover. then one could hit the boxers with hooks, but when wing chun don't use hooks, its a problem. sure, no big thing to teach yourself hooks, but when you trained the wing chun "fistfighing" style, you might not be able to use hooks and the like as a habit, which would be important in a not-staged fight. blocking in boxing also is more effective than in wing chun/kung fu and also karate and the like. one couldn't sweep away many incoming punches like that.
then there is no ground fighting.
this all is why i would bet all my money that wing chun isn't an effective fighting system.

How long did you train wing chun?

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
watch the fights against the boxers in ip man 2 and 3, these are my favourite film fights of all time, but you see how easy a boxer blocks the chain punches using their double cover. then one could hit the boxers with hooks, but when wing chun don't use hooks, its a problem.

that's true. the boxer made ip man look pretty clueless.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i won't interprete too much in a film scene but its a good example in this case.
google search "fight quest" and "wing chun", then you see mixed martial artists training wing chun in china und when they use "accidently" their muay thai strikes, because its their habit, it works well against them.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
i won't bash a style. wing chun has some good and important tactics, like "stop kicks" and being agressive.
but others use that too und have a way more effective kind of "fistfight". that chain punching stuff looks cool, i trained it too, just as part of martial ART but wouldn't ever use it in a fight, since its just weak. i think wing chun doesn't even has hooks and uppercuts in its curriculum.
watch the fights against the boxers in ip man 2 and 3, these are my favourite film fights of all time, but you see how easy a boxer blocks the chain punches using their double cover. then one could hit the boxers with hooks, but when wing chun don't use hooks, its a problem. sure, no big thing to teach yourself hooks, but when you trained the wing chun "fistfighing" style, you might not be able to use hooks and the like as a habit, which would be important in a not-staged fight. blocking in boxing also is more effective than in wing chun/kung fu and also karate and the like. one couldn't sweep away many incoming punches like that.
this all is why i would bet all my money that wing chun isn't an effective fighting system.
See what I mean?:)

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score

No offense, but you don't know as much about WC as you think you do. WC has an uppercut, we refer to it as a lifting punch in our lineage, and it also has a hook punch.
As for the punch itself being weak, it sounds like you haven't been exposed to any quality WC.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No offense, but you don't know as much about WC as you think you do. WC has an uppercut, we refer to it as a lifting punch in our lineage, and it also has a hook punch.
As for the punch itself being weak, it sounds like you haven't been exposed to any quality WC.
i said i'm not sure on the hooks. and thank you for correcting me, i'd like to learn more about this since i never ever saw a wing chun guy using hooks.
but please don't tell me that chain punches aren't weak, it damages your credibility.

Last edited: