Who are these Taekwondo men?

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
Can anyone name any of these individual men and/or explain who they are and what their contribution to Taekwondo was?

TaekwondoA.jpg
[/IMG]

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't necessarily recognize any of their faces, but reading the names under the faces, I certainly recognize the names. My guess first KTA board?

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I believe he was the Jidokwan's 4th Kwan Jang Nim, and CHUN Sang Sup's first student.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't necessarily recognize any of their faces, but reading the names under the faces, I certainly recognize the names. My guess first KTA board?

My Korean isn't great (and I may have some of these spelt slightly incorrectly, but it may be close enough that other people recognise the names also). I'm not overly great with knowing historical figures but the names I recognise are bolded.

LEE Jong Oo, HONG Jong Soo, LEE Nam Suk, UHM Won Kyu

BAE Young Ki, KIM In Suk, LEE Yong Sup, KIM Soon Bae, LEE Byong Ro

HYUN Oo Yong, JI Sang Sup, HAN Yong Tae, LEE Kyu Yun, HONG Jung Pyo

LEE Ung Sang, GO Jae Chun, CHOI Dong Hwi, KIM Sun Gu, PARK Hae Man

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I would have had to guess. And it would have only been a guess. I would have guessed GM UHM, Woon Kyu (#4 top row), and GM PARK, Hae Man (#4 bottom row) only because I've seen a few photos of them in their younger days.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
My Korean isn't great (and I may have some of these spelt slightly incorrectly, but it may be close enough that other people recognise the names also). I'm not overly great with knowing historical figures but the names I recognise are bolded.

Sorry, I've just realised you might have been doing this as a fun quiz... I saw the names in Korean and others saying they had read the names so I thought I'd be kind and level the playing field a bit for those that can't read han'gul. I guess if you were doing it as a quiz you'd have removed the han'gul, but if I'm wrong then sorry for spoiling it.

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, I've just realised you might have been doing this as a fun quiz... I saw the names in Korean and others saying they had read the names so I thought I'd be kind and level the playing field a bit for those that can't read han'gul. I guess if you were doing it as a quiz you'd have removed the han'gul, but if I'm wrong then sorry for spoiling it.

Actually that was good. Thank you. Anyone what to tell us what Kwan they are all from and anything else about them?

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
LEE Jong Oo (Jidokwan) , HONG Jong Soo (Moo Duk Kwan), LEE Nam Suk (Chang Moo Kwan), UHM Won Kyu (Chung Do Kwan)

BAE Young Ki (Jidokwan), KIM In Suk (Moo Duk Kwan), LEE Yong Sup (Song Moo Kwan), KIM Soon Bae (Chang Moo Kwan), LEE Byong Ro (Han Kuk Che Yuk Kwan/Jidokwan)

HYUN Oo Yong (?), JI Sang Sup(?), HAN Yong Tae (?), LEE Kyu Yun (Han Moo Kwan), HONG Jung Pyo (Chang Moo Kwan)

LEE Ung Sang (?), GO Jae Chun (Oh Do Kwan), CHOI Dong Hwi (?), KIM Sun Gu (Chang Moo Kwan), PARK Hae Man (Chung Do Kwan)

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is a very curious thread, I'm hoping others can shed more light on the subject.. .

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a very curious thread, I'm hoping others can shed more light on the subject.. .

True. I think the responses so far have been mostly accurate. I hope that more folks give a go at it though. I will add this:

There are only 5 person who have ever been issued 10th Dan by Kukkiwon. One is alive. The other four were awarded this honor after death. Three of them are pictured in that photo. So....

Which 3 men in that photo were award 10th Dan (after death), and who else was awarded 10th Dan after death, who is not pictured?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yong Sup Lee is the teacher of my childrens GM.

Your children's grandmaster was the one who told us his teacher invented Koryo 1 and Pyongwon.

By they way, mastercole and I have given out the answers to these questions before, so it shouldn't be the difficult, if you have been following us for any length of time.

Latest Discussions